Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 20:49   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova13 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/groups/337129576416954/ one of the images found on the satellite pages from Aug 4 provided by tomnod.com for crowd resourced searching online. this woman is a friend who unpixillated the image using a Microsoft programme on her home computer. Apparently identifed as exactly the model carried by Nina. If any of you can help persuade NZ and Oz to send an Orion or two to help with the donation-funded twin engine Cessna searching off Norfolk Island ... compelling or what ?? Please help.
Let's keep you begging for money posts out of this, you sound remarkably like the equasearch person with a new name. There is no way your"friend" could identify the type of liferaft from the resolution of the Tomnod images.
Old 21-08-2013, 21:36   #257

Re: The (Official) "Lets Bash the Nina Thread" - sponsored by Bazzer :-)

Bazzer .. I did withdraw my post on your Nina Bashing thread when more info was posted about those images after I posted here .. I am nothing to do with anyone in Texas .. I am but a baby sailor and I live quietly north of Auckland in New Zealand. I did search quite a few hundred square kms of ocean under the tomnod crowd resourcesatellite images .. it was, and is fascinating, and if miracles can occur, it will be successful. The finding of the image of what is very likely their life raft was amazing fortune. I apologise for posting incorrect info and forgetting to change it on this thread as well.

Why would I want your money ? Maybe I should send you some to soften that tough old heart maybe ?
Old 21-08-2013, 21:39   #258

p.s. Bazzer .. if you read my first post it referred only to asking government help. I did not defile your sacred bashing space asking for any private financial help.
Old 21-08-2013, 21:41   #259

Quote:
Bazzer .. I did withdraw my post on your Nina Bashing thread when more info was posted about those images after I posted here .. I am nothing to do with anyone in Texas .. I am but a baby sailor and I live quietly north of Auckland in New Zealand. I did search quite a few hundred square kms of ocean under the tomnod crowd resourcesatellite images .. it was, and is fascinating, and if miracles can occur, it will be successful. The finding of the image of what is very likely their life raft was amazing fortune. I apologise for posting incorrect info and forgetting to change it on this thread as well.

Why would I want your money ? Maybe I should send you some to soften that tough old heart maybe ?
Thanks for the offer of cash, but no thanks. I too have spent a lot of time searching on Tomnod, I wish that they would at least show were approx I was looking, why keep it such a big secret? Tomnod is not a charity so there is money involved in it somewhere
Old 21-08-2013, 21:48   #260

Quote:
p.s. Bazzer .. if you read my first post it referred only to asking government help. I did not defile your sacred bashing space asking for any private financial help.
This is not my thread, I'm just involved in the subject line. But there is to much politics and religion creeping to the original thread. I'm NOT a believer, my son just lost a friend and I lost a old friend to the "will of somebody's god" in the last few days so I feel a loss but no prayers I'm afraid. So I try to be practical and realistic on the matter and try to post some helpful I put when I can.
Forget all that ****, here comes Mungo .....Mel Brooks.....Blazing Saddles
Old 21-08-2013, 21:56   #261

well, in your Blazing Saddles theme, best we remember Monsieur Petard !! sorry for your losses .. sorrowful truth that none of us will get out alive.
Old 21-08-2013, 23:17   #262
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

"Amazing fortune" wouldn't begin to describe it. Life raft manufacterers design their rafts for a 72 hour service life standard. Their explanation for why? That is your maximum amount of life expectancy in one of their rafts, according to them. They all come with survival equipment for the designed occupancy for 72 hours. Any more requires a proper ditch bag at least. Read "Adrift" for a taste of what would be required to keep a raft afloat that long. I believe the author spent many hours each day bailing, patching, and pumping air. He did the math, to the tune of millions of strokes. Extremely unlikely a raft could make it this long.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 22-08-2013, 01:24   #263
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Thanks for the offer of cash, but no thanks. I too have spent a lot of time searching on Tomnod, I wish that they would at least show were approx I was looking , why keep it such a big secret ? Tomnod is not a charity so there is money involved in it somewhere
I had a go at it and found that frustrating . Being generous I guess they are simply not used to dealing with folks who can understand Lat & Long .

In regard to the money thing, no idea what the cost is - but everything costs, otherwise it is not available. Whether the Tomnod is worth the money is another thing.....but if straws is all you have, then straws it is........
Old 22-08-2013, 02:39   #264

It's the first time tomnod has been used to search an ocean ... their site has been overloaded several times but they are helping as best they can in a way that is innovative and some of it making it up as it goes. Anorther time I am sure everyone will be able to see the lat and longtitude as they search .. but for goodness sake, give some credit where credit is due.

Read their website for a search they conducted in the Andes when two of their climbing friends were missing .. I think, maybe naively on my part, they know what it is to have friends missing. It needs a a miracle, no doubt about it. Not the whole world is as cynical as some of things I have read here recently ... why would 6000 people worldwide at no cost spend time and download allowances to search thousands of satellite images of blue ocean ..... because some people genuinely wish to help, nothing more.

let's see how tomorrow is.
Old 22-08-2013, 06:48   #265

Quote:
It's the first time tomnod has been used to search an ocean ... their site has been overloaded several times but they are helping as best they can in a way that is innovative and some of it making it up as it goes. Anorther time I am sure everyone will be able to see the lat and longtitude as they search .. but for goodness sake, give some credit where credit is due.

Read their website for a search they conducted in the Andes when two of their climbing friends were missing .. I think, maybe naively on my part, they know what it is to have friends missing. It needs a a miracle, no doubt about it. Not the whole world is as cynical as some of things I have read here recently ... why would 6000 people worldwide at no cost spend time and download allowances to search thousands of satellite images of blue ocean ..... because some people genuinely wish to help, nothing more.

let's see how tomorrow is.
Whilst I have been using Tomnod as well what is your relationship to the site? I believe the original owners have now sold the site. They state there images come from various sources. I for one would like to know what I'm looking at, where it is and where the images came from. Unreasonable ?
I would also like to see their business model out of interest, maybe they are mining for email addresses.
Old 22-08-2013, 07:57   #266

Boat: Custom 60' Cat

the latest news on an NZ site lists costs at $20k per day to continue the flight search.... I know its hard to accept the loss of a loved one, I lost my 21yr old brother a few years back, but the reality is, that money would be much better spent trying to educate people so that they can be better prepared themselves... or how many sat phones would it buy? they could give them away to sailors if they wanted, the list is endless, but flying circles 2 months after the fact is not helping... maybe I'm wrong.....
Old 22-08-2013, 10:22   #267
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova13
https://www.facebook.com/groups/337129576416954/ one of the images found on the satellite pages from Aug 4 provided by tomnod.com for crowd resourced searching online. this woman is a friend who unpixillated the image using a Microsoft programme on her home computer. Apparently identifed as exactly the model carried by Nina. If any of you can help persuade NZ and Oz to send an Orion or two to help with the donation-funded twin engine Cessna searching off Norfolk Island ... compelling or what ?? Please help.
i understand this claim has been withdrawn

dave
Old 22-08-2013, 10:28   #268

That is not good, making people there is something when not!!
Cherie
Old 22-08-2013, 10:42   #269

It is a tragedy, but I think we have to accept that Nina is overdue since June 4th. A long time. Nina was purchased in 1988 and certainly well equipped and in good conditions.
Old 22-08-2013, 10:47   #270
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I suppose the issue is there are a lot of definitions of "good conditions"

Tags
My Bucket is, superior to