Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 20:46   #301
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: The (Official) "Lets Bash the Nina Thread" - sponsored by Bazzer :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mate... rude is $40 for 20 grams of tobacco... 3.25euros here... and $8 for a bottle of beer... 90cents over here...
Ever considered... maybe your getting screwed over
If you payed $8 for a bottle of Aussie beer you certainly were screwed over. On two accounts even. It's not that good and I don't pay half that here. I will however pay $8 for a bottle of Old Peculiar, which is worth it.

Coops.
Old 22-08-2013, 22:25   #302

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

It would have been in a Marina With those prices, I walk half a mile down the road and get it at normal prices,

But we do get screwed over in every thing, But the Internet is now screwing them,

We can and do buy it off the internet now at 1/4 the price of buying local here,
Old 23-08-2013, 05:59   #303
Armchair Bucketeer

Although I did give the TOMNOD thing a go, I did so only as a guest - as to login they wanted my e-mail address (fair enuf) and the password for it (WTF??!)........adding in that no lat & long references on the bits of ocean shown (nor any date) and I do have concerns. Of course could simply be incompetence..........

Certainly I would have expected that the EXACT position (and date) of a potential life raft sighting to have been widely reported - if not for any SAR airsearch for other vessels in the area.

In regard to the Texas Republican Senator - obviously he is firmly on the something should be done trail, by somebody else.......but in international waters the responsibility as much for the USA as anyone else to do a SAR, especially as a US boat / Captain / Crew....and they ain't exactly short of stuff.
Old 23-08-2013, 06:51   #304

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
(...) but in international waters the responsibility as much for the USA as anyone else to do a SAR, (...)
http://www.oceansatlas.com/unatlas/i...sar/SARMAP.PDF

It may be NZ SAR area. They organize and coordinate searches there. It is their RESPONSIBILITY.

If NZ SAR is not searching then either they do not have or do not recognize tomnod imagery/data.

And I would like to know which case it is and there is nothing on it in official information channels.

b.
Old 23-08-2013, 06:59   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova13 View Post

(...)
Gossip in NZ is that for SAR to follow through on this, they will need to first accept they searched in the wrong place several weeks ago.
(...)

(...)
I can't post any link for you as the sites are requesting support or funding.
(...)
NZ SAR do not seem to have gone wrong in their first search. And, even if this were the case, why would they make another mistake having learned from the apparent first one?

And is it not strange that there is an apparent "crowd sourced" 'rescue action' going on while the crowd has no free access to relevant information?

barnakiel
Old 23-08-2013, 07:29   #306
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
http://www.oceansatlas.com/unatlas/i...sar/SARMAP.PDF

It may be NZ SAR area. They organize and coordinate searches there. It is their RESPONSIBILITY.
Link did not work for me , but I will take your word for it - albeit with the caveat that I doubt NZ SAR folks have any claim (or desire!) for exclusivity.........I am presuming of course that we are talking outside NZ Territorial Waters, albeit for all I know the discussion is about something orange in the Bay of Islands - or in Lake Taupo? .
Old 23-08-2013, 07:57   #307

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
On this forum there probably are many trolls. There is no proof that anyone is who they say they are. I personally only believe those who have been posting for quite a while on a variety of subject and not just unvented a screen name in order to troll and make mischief. In the case of Nina we are affecting real people out there someone and maybe causing more grief than is necessary. This is very true in the case of the Tomnod orange blob which could have been easily fabricated with any pixel editing software. I'm not stating that it is bogus, but give me more proof that it is real. Maybe send the proof to the relatives and the NZ SAR first.
That's interesting because at the start of the Nina's original thread, that's what you seemed to be doing with your negative comments. As far as proof...no one owes you any. This is a forum, with a thread on a topic that people have the freedom to express there opinions based on what they find from other sources. Certainly you have the right to have an opinion on it but don't expect people to be running around proving things for you. Many times other members have nicely corrected your opinions with facts. I hope you're seeing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Hey guys and girls, although my name is on the thread title I did not start it. I have outworn my welcome here and besides I have a teak deck and a cruise that needs my attention, so you might be pleased to know that I am not going to participate in this thread or the other Nina thread any longer.
I hope that Neptune gives us back Nina and her crew

Thanks
Bazzer

Ex RAF, British army and ex a lot else.
I think your name was used by the OP because of how controversial you had become on the original Nina thread...please see my comment above about causing mischief.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 23-08-2013, 08:29   #308

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
That's interesting because at the start of the Nina's original thread, that's what you seemed to be doing with your negative comments. As far as proof...no one owes you any. This is a forum, with a thread on a topic that people have the freedom to express there opinions based on what they find from other sources. Certainly you have the right to have an opinion on it but don't expect people to be running around proving things for you. Many times other members have nicely corrected your opinions with facts. I hope you're seeing that.

I think your name was used by the OP because of how controversial you had become on the original Nina thread...please see my comment above about causing mischief.
+1 and thank you. Elegantly stated.

Tragedy can strike anyone, anytime. When it does happen it is nice to know that most people, even strangers, will show some compassion and do what they can to help. And if they can't help, at least avoid making people feel worse. There are always exceptions to that rule, of course, which is sad.
Old 23-08-2013, 08:37   #309

Quote:
And is it not strange that there is an apparent "crowd sourced" 'rescue action' going on while the crowd has no free access to relevant information?
Yes it's strange. After login as Guest you can click "start tagging". You can see nothing after that...

I think it's only to make money in short time...
Old 23-08-2013, 09:31   #310

Boat: 1985 Pearson 36 Sloop Western Spirit
Send a message via ICQ to westernspirit
I logged in with me email, then just a password made up at the moment . Have been able to look at blue screens with occasional clouds, tagged a few spots. Seemed to work for me can't see any request for$ or anyway it could take advantage, seems legit to me
Old 23-08-2013, 09:59   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Link did not work for me , but I will take your word for it - albeit with the caveat that I doubt NZ SAR folks have any claim (or desire!) for exclusivity.........I am presuming of course that we are talking outside NZ Territorial Waters, albeit for all I know the discussion is about something orange in the Bay of Islands - or in Lake Taupo? .
No, exclusivity not, duty yes.

I am not clear about the point on Bay of Islands or Taupo though.

b.
Old 23-08-2013, 10:56   #312
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
No, exclusivity not, duty yes.

I am not clear about the point on Bay of Islands or Taupo though.

b.
I have no idea where the orange blob was spotted - seems to be a secret .....could be anywhere, in or out of NZ waters.
Old 23-08-2013, 11:25   #313

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernspirit View Post
I logged in with me email, then just a password made up at the moment . Have been able to look at blue screens with occasional clouds, tagged a few spots. Seemed to work for me can't see any request for$ or anyway it could take advantage, seems legit to me
I seem to go in circles when I enter an email (might be Chrome for Win8) so I just login as guest. The images are varied - some are all blue, some look greyish and wavy. This is typical of imagery taken on different dates under different conditions. I did some grid searches but didn't see much of interest. No idea which image had the orange blob. The interface could really use a cursor location tool and an overview map of where you are while searching the imagery. I have put in that suggestion but who knows.

TomNod guys actually moved into the DigitalGlobe headquarters. It is 6 guys with a startup that has some potential. They are not a separate entity anymore really and may not keep their name. I think TomNod is meant to be a free service with the imagery provided by DG which would normally be purchased. It could be DG is donating it because it is not uncommon for large companies to perform this kind of public service. They sell most of their imagery to Govt/NGA anyway and aren't making money selling to the general public.
Old 23-08-2013, 19:05   #314

Thanks shakigurl!
Old 24-08-2013, 00:11   #315

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Can anyone explain how TOMNOD works?

If a likely image is found by someone devoting their time and energy at no charge for a good cause, what happens to that information?

Is it sent to the SAR people? Is it freely available to the families? Or does the company keep the information confidential and only release it for a fee, or only use that information to organise their own commercial search for a fee that presumably is paid for by the families?
Closed Thread

Tags
My Bucket is, superior to