Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 21-07-2013, 17:02   #136

Boat: 1903 36' jarrah cruiser
Re: The (Official) "Lets Bash the Nina Thread" - sponsored by Bazzer :-)

This really is low brow stuff.
Old 21-07-2013, 17:06   #137
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free as a Bird View Post
This really is low brow stuff.
Welcome to the internet
Old 21-07-2013, 17:07   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Nina View Post
Basser why don't you start your own thread and do it off topic!

This is a navigational problem with the Nina.

Why do you keep coming back if it bothers you so much!

Cherie
Cheri, who are you? I did start another thread by proxy and YOU do not have the right to tell me or anyone else what to do or expect us to send money on a futile search if that's where the money is going.
Why don't you start another thread ? The flotsam of Nina is now drifting around In a ocean somewhere you need to accept this and not expect the worlds military to turn there efforts to find a phantom boat.
Old 21-07-2013, 17:35   #139

Boat: PETERSON 44
If the hull was glassed in mystic in 1999 why is there not a report or survey available? After getting a threatening email I want to see this more now then ever.i think you guys sort of answers the AIS question and the fact that engine did not have adequate fuel lines or water intake. This is stunning. Now we have the life raft.was it seen? Was it inspected? Was this captain really so attentive ? Nasty email telling me to back off now has me wondering. Sorry for the young and the loss but. Giving good info early in is critical. Being Dodgey and threatening while you want donations is crap.
Old 21-07-2013, 17:44   #140

Back off on hull. It was perfectly fine on its preparation in Mystic Port. Engine install according to Sea Power was well done.You need to bark up another tree! Cherie
I did not bark at a tree. I asked some questions that should be answered no need for this. Nasty
Old 21-07-2013, 18:21   #141

So now we have a real old wood boat with a glass skin put on 15 years ago.spent sails . Bare electronics and a crew that had kids and the life raft might have been updated but can't be confirmed. Engine that has inadequate intake and fuel lines. No hydrostatic epirb. No ssb someone who does not want questions about the hull. We should learn from this while information is not disclosed and donate money. Oiyyveyy any one update the facts please do.
Old 21-07-2013, 18:44   #142

Not about what was aboard by electronics. It's about condition and good disclosure to sar about what to expect.The boat had very old sails.,this could be disputed by someone who has better data. We know that the storm sail shredded.The boat had sat comms. The boat was old and then had a glass layer applied. No indication of how good or bad the condition was when glassed. Someone has knowledge about this applied skin. There was a life raft but it cannot be verified it was inspected.,not hard to chase down. The boat was at dock for the time required that would and need local inspection. Think disclosure is late and now threatening. See prior post where I was told to forget about the hull. They want us to donate miner and won't be honest I am blown away.
Old 21-07-2013, 18:48   #143

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: The (Official) "Lets Bash the Nina Thread" - sponsored by Bazzer :-)

As I understand Nina had a sat phone and stopped using it, so either lost power and that would have ended AIS transmissions, or it sank and that would end AIS transmissions also.
Not definitive information, and Nina did not have AIS anyway.

So OK, what more is there to discuss in this case?? Without finding the boat or the people, there isn't much else to learn from it, the known facts haven't changed, nothing new for some time.
Old 21-07-2013, 18:55   #144

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
(...) Boat was glassed 15 years ago.

Why do you glass a wood boat?(...)
Why do you glass a wood boat.

b.
Old 21-07-2013, 19:06   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Why do you glass a wood boat.

b.
Because you don't want to do the job properly. Having worked in the USS constitution I can tell you that the only safe to fix a wooden boat is to replace the rotten wood, replace bad fastenings and re-caulk. Glassing over is nothing more than a bandaid and I certainly would not go to sea in such a boat.
Old 21-07-2013, 19:13   #146

We don't know because the survey reports are not being disclosed????? We did this when the boat was trash but the owner needed a year or 2.
Old 21-07-2013, 19:20   #147

The condition of the boat at departure really is not relevant to its lost status.
It is lost, we don't know why, you can GUESS why, but that has ZERO usefulness
in finding it. That is what this thread is about.
Old 21-07-2013, 19:25   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The condition of the boat at departure really is not relevant to its lost status.
It is lost, we don't know why, you can GUESS why, but that has ZERO usefulness
in finding it. That is what this thread is about.
Of course it's relevant. Being wood you might well find some wooden flotsam. If it were a steel boat not much would be found. A rotten wooden boat is likely to beak up rather than sink intact.
Old 21-07-2013, 19:33   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Of course it's relevant. Being wood you might well find some wooden flotsam. If it were a steel boat not much would be found. A rotten wooden boat is likely to beak up rather than sink intact.
Until something is found, it makes no difference.
Old 21-07-2013, 19:41   #150

Wrong It is relevant. Boat condition sail condition electronics on board registered mmsi numbers etc....All relevant. Unless you want to chase after some ghost ship. Having kids aboard is relevant. Anything the SAR guys can get for info is relevant. If its a 38 foot glass bene with a rotten old ausie or a schooner with kids. That is info. You don't hold back info from the sar guys. Very different if a well found boat goes missing or a not well found one with teenage kids goes wayward. The response will be according. If you go heavy side up you will want sar to know everything. Not some things and then leave out others. You will want them to know everything..
Closed Thread

Tags
My Bucket is, superior to