Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 01:58   #1

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32
The Nauti One, an Endeavor 32

It's about a quarter of 3 a.m. under a cold South Carolina sky. The temperature is hovering right around 32 degrees and there will be frost on the boat by sunrise.

It seems almost inconceivable that a week and a half has passed. It's been a time filled with checklist and chores and has disappeared all too quickly. A week ago Monday, I woke up and checked all of the internet sites for used sailboats. I have been following a listing for an Endeavour 32. Witnessing the asking price plummet past $10,000 then $7,500 to stop at $2,850, I grabbed my phone.

I called the number on the listing and reached Mitch Pruitt. We spoke at length about the boat and I told him I was coming to see it. Within hours I departed Houston and landed at the Myrtle Beach airport to pick up a rental car. That night I spent aboard the boat at Cricket Cove Marina in Little River, South Carolina.

The poor old girl was dirty and damp. It was easy to see why she was hard to sell. But as I investigated further, I found her maintenance log. The more I looked, the more I knew this was worth so much more. By Wednesday she was mine.

I have resolved to make right the indignities this yacht has suffered. Indeed, many of her more pressing issues have already been resolved or are in process. But this is neither the time nor the place for a blow-by-blow description of that process. There will be much more coming soon.

Now that I have acquired “Nauti One”, I must take her home. So I have an extensive Punch-Out list to complete and a 1675 mile, single-handed journey down the Intercoastal Waterway from Little River, South Carolina to Kemah, Texas on Galveston Bay.

There will be a Blog, a YouTube channel, a Facebook page and semi-regular updates at CruisersForum.com. If boating is not for the easily embarrassed, then this next month will certainly test that theory.

Special thanks goes to Steady Hand, for his extensive help. He is surely one of the most remarkable people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

I would also like to mention Mitch Pruitt, the Broker, Saul Shavitz, the previous owner, Breno Lima and his wife Holly (all the best, you two) and a host of good-hearted people at the Cricket Cove Marina and in the greater Myrtle Beach area, for their kindness, hospitality and material support. Although Texas hospitality is renown, I have never met a more hospitable group of people than those that I have encountered on this trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161116_095426.jpg
Views:	2588
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	136664  
Old 23-11-2016, 06:59   #2

Boat: been sitting it out
Re: The Nauti One, an Endeavor 32

Thank you for sharing your story! It sounds as though you really found your girl! You and your Nauti One are surely a match!!!!

Which marina are you in?
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 07:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Thank you for sharing your story! It sounds as though you really found your girl! You and your Nauti One are surely a match!!!!

Which marina are you in?
Hi Wolfgang,

Yes I agree, she is my new mistress. But make no mistake, my true love awaits my return. I'm currently at the Cricket Cove Marina in Little River. With fortune and blessings I should shove off around this weekend.
Old 23-11-2016, 07:31   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Philip, congratulations on finding your Endeavor. As always, I love the way you write about boats and sailing adventures so I look forward to your postings about your new love. That's quite an ambitious delivery trip for a new to you boat that has not been taken care of lately. I hope it goes well, and yet I have confidence that you will handle whatever your boat needs. We will all enjoy your journey along with you.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 07:38   #5

Congratulations. Nice boat, was the first "big boat" we ever chartered when we had our Catalina 22 back in the early 80s.

I just completed a 1,000 trip from SF to Vancouver Island. I know what you have ahead of you - I motored all the way except for a glorious sail the last day! Safe journey. Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016

Steady Hand is a great fellow and a wonderful source of information and links. He is an inspiration and a role model for us all.

Sumner, who posts here some times, bought an Endeavor 37 and has a wonderful website of his own that may have some Endeavor-specific info for you, too. Endeavour Sailboat 37 Index

Enjoy your trip.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 07:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Philip, congratulations on finding your Endeavor. As always, I love the way you write about boats and sailing adventures so I look forward to your postings about your new love. That's quite an ambitious delivery trip for a new to you boat that has not been taken care of lately. I hope it goes well, and yet I have confidence that you will handle whatever your boat needs. We will all enjoy your journey along with you.
Thank you for the flowers and well wishes. Who said Space the final frontier? Yes I expect it will be quite an adventure. And and winter no less!
Old 23-11-2016, 07:53   #7

Boat: been sitting it out

Glad to know that, with your Nauti One, your heart is fulfilled!

I'm looking forward to reading your blog as well!

In keeping in pace with our reputation of being hospitable, let me know if/when you stop in the Charleston area and need to do a supplies/food-run.
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 07:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Congratulations. Nice boat, was the first "big boat" we ever chartered when we had our Catalina 22 back in the early 80s.

I just completed a 1,000 trip from SF to Vancouver Island. I know what you have ahead of you - I motored all the way except for a glorious sail the last day! Safe journey. Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016

Steady Hand is a great fellow and a wonderful source of information and links. He is an inspiration and a role model for us all.

Sumner, who posts here some times, bought an Endeavor 37 and has a wonderful website of his own that may have some Endeavor-specific info for you, too. Endeavour Sailboat 37 Index

Enjoy your trip.
Thanks Stu. We are still in the honeymoon stage and I want to do everything for her.

I couldn't agree more about Steady. Certainly someone that the whole community should emulate. Sorry I can't chat. We've got rain for tomorrow and the salon hatch still leaks. Fair Winds to you.
Old 23-11-2016, 08:35   #9

Congratulations on the new boat. Coincidentally, the 1977 Islander 32 I bought last year was owned by a different gentleman named Pruitt....
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:39   #10

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

What a great story! And just the beginning...
I look forward to following your blog and future posts as the story continues.
Very encouraging to know that the kindness and hospitality of the boating community is still intact.

Mark
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:45   #11

She sure is a great looking boat, looks like you got a great deal despite the work to do. A labor of love. Congrats on a fine boat!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:52   #12

Got my Endeavor 37 ketch the same way, for a little more money but a great buy. Also undergoing a full rebuild. Several year project and I'm lovin' it!!
Oldhippiesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:58   #13

Awesome and congratulations! I can't wait to check out your Youtube page.

P.S. I actually live in the Houston area and would enjoy lending a hand as a learning experience for myself as I one day want to buy a sailboat.

Regards,
Chris
chrischarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:16   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Grats and good luck. What do you say your occupation was, thief? Looks to be a fine vessel. Check on the Okeechobee waterway if you plan on using it. It is about the time of year for them to do maintenance on the locks if needed. Again grats.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:52   #15

Boat: Creekmore 36

I agree with Cadence. Your occupation must be thief. Endeavor is a great boat. Gulfport, Ms is a great place to stop on the way if you need supplies. Contact me if you need assistance.
tfrank is offline   Reply With Quote