Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 13:40   #121

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: The Nauti One, an Endeavor 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareKnot View Post
Thank you Cadence, thank you Jim. I thought I knew what it was. I'd only seen them in drawings and didn't know how it was used. Darn coastal sailors anyway. Please forgive me. I'm tired and grouchy.

Oh yeah, both the starter and the injector pump have quit working. There's no fuel coming out of the high pressure injector lines. I keep wondering what I did to deserve this.

There doesn't seem to be anything amiss with the fuel system between the tank and the engine. The return lines are getting plenty of fuel. The filters are all full of diesel. There is no air in the lines. Plenty of pressure at the banjo bolts.

The rain and arctic cold arrive tomorrow. Time to consult hotels.com
If your in a nice marina they will have good heated bathing facilities and maybe a washer and drier. Get to a Walmart and get an electric heater, they may have a curtesy car. Why pay for the facilities with electicity and a hotel? Your right don't use the stove.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 14:15   #122

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Maybe a long bridle could reduce instability when towing or when in anchor. There could be also other tricks like tying the anchor to the rear, or using some small "sail" in the aft to stabilize the boat.

In principle I'd be available as crew, but I'm a bit far away. I'm sure you will get also sunshine in due time. While waiting for that, a good night sleep in a hotel is maybe the best thing to do.
Thank you for your kindness. Yes, I guess you are a long way away.

More things are broken. I would need to wait on parts and then do the repairs. It just makes more sense to truck it home.

One of the problems with towing occurs when the pilot tows you fast enough to lift the bow. The center of effort shifts aft in relation to the keel causing more instability. I'm no designer but I bet there are people on these boards that can more adequately address this topic. Instead I am going to take your advice and go find a room.
Old 05-01-2017, 14:17   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If your in a nice marina they will have good heated bathing facilities and maybe a washer and drier. Get to a Walmart and get an electric heater, they may have a curtesy car. Why pay for the facilities with electicity and a hotel? Your right don't use the stove.
Funny thing brother, I am sitting next to a marina. Unfortunately the hurricane rented all the slips. They won't be available until March or later.
Old 13-01-2017, 07:21   #124

Just a quick update for my friends out there. I hired a delivery captain. Captain Scott Russ, U.S. Coast Guard machinist mate retired, a Florida native, that worked in his father's shrimping fleet out of Tampa in his youth.

In one day, Captain Scott found and repaired all of the phantom problems that have plagued this boat for the past 2 months. We have been underway since Tuesday sunset, averaging 125 miles miles a day. This morning we enter the first lock westbound on the Okeechobee Waterway. If all goes according to plan, in 2 days we will be northbound out of Fort Myers on the West Coast of Florida.

You may wish to file this one away under the heading 'neat trick for old diesel'. After locating and fixing a couple of bad places in the fuel line from the lift pump to the secondary filter, Captain Scott filled up the secondary filter on the Yanmar which Lucas Fuel Treatment. We opened the decompression valve and spun the engine until the pistons in the high pressure pump were working properly. At that point, Captain Scott used a lubricating starting fluid to run the engine. This brought the fuel pressure up high enough to force the Lucas Fuel Treatment through the injectors. In only a matter of minutes the injectors were cleaned and reconditioned and the engine has run flawlessly ever since.

The engine no longer vibrates like it used to. My cute little 6 ton hobby horse has been averaging 15 miles to the gallon or about a third of a gallon an hour; not bad for a nearly 40 year old diesel.

After 3 days of seeing this guy in action, I have absolutely no reservations about recommending Captain Scott Russ, owner of Dolphin Marine Services, of New Port Richey Florida to anyone in these fora. His background, character, aptitude, training, temperament and encyclopedic knowledge of coastal and Inland navigation combine to make him an excellent delivery captain.

To all of those that have offered well wishes and good advice, you have my deepest gratitude. My apologies to everyone especially those who have sent me private messages. To say that I've been busy is a bit of an understatement. I'll keep you posted as things progress.
Old 13-01-2017, 07:38   #125

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
The Nauti One, an Endeavor 32

Great news, Phillip! I'm happy you found the help you needed to get past the fuel line issues. Progress is good.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 07:38   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

As always a pleasure to read the nautical adventures of yourself.

It is strange how making a relatively expensive decision, as in hiring a skipper, has so many benefits and advantages both to the vessel and our own emotional state. It sounds like you have found a man to soothe all the anxieties regarding your boat and self confidence. That type of experience in a sailor and mechanic instills a peace on the remainder of the trip that is difficult to come by.

Truly pleased that your journey will continue with far more pleasant returns on effort expended. You earned it.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 08:29   #127

Boat: Nauticat 32

Excellent. This skipper seems to be worth more than his salary, if he can fix the boat, educate the client and sail the boat, all at the same time. I had a similar experience with my informative boat surveyor.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 09:07   #128

Great news Phil. I was afraid you fell off the face of the earth after a couple of days and the talk of cashing it out.
Old 13-01-2017, 14:14   #129

Boat: wanting a cat

Finally, a boat story with a happy ending!

Good Luck...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:03   #130

We've been busy. We are coming to the close of the 5th day and we just arrived in St. Petersburg Florida. If the weather holds, we will be in Texas in another five days. Nauti One is still running great.
Old 15-01-2017, 14:08   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareKnot View Post
We've been busy. We are coming to the close of the 5th day and we just arrived in St. Petersburg Florida. If the weather holds, we will be in Texas in another five days. Nauti One is still running great.
Great!
Old 15-01-2017, 14:40   #132

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Good News!
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 03:52   #133

Boat: wanting a cat

Let me know if I can help, I'm in Dallas...

Damn Cowboys.

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 11:11   #134

Thanks again. This little Slice of Heaven has been a real encouragement to me. I have endured a lot over the last two and a half months. The latest setback it's just one in a long string of them.

We arrived in Dunedin Florida last Saturday. the engine died in the middle of the channel. Bad fuel this time. We managed to get it running and motor to Marker 1 Marina near midnight.

Sunday, Scott broke down the fuel system and pumped all the fuel out of the tank. It was filled with black rubber powder. We suspect the supply lines to the fuel dock in Jacksonville. The reason being that one of the 5-gallon cans we used to supply the tank was never used. It was the dirtiest and it was filled in Jacksonville.

We decided to err on the side of caution and replace all of the rubber lines on the boat with $5 per foot synthetic lines. We had to wait till Monday to get the lines. I also had to drive to Tampa to get replacement elements for the Racor and then back to Tarpon Springs to get the elements for the Yanmar fuel filter. It wasn't until Tuesday afternoon that we were able to set out.

We motored to the end of St. Joseph sound and into the Gulf of Mexico. Setting course for Gulfport Mississippi, we continue to motor. The wind was directly on our bow. Well offshore, the motor died again and the boat turned beam to the waves. It wasn't quite as easy to bleed the fuel system again, but we did.

It was already getting late when we turn back. Scott and I spent a couple of hours analyzing the exact order of events and speculating as to the cause. However, the boat performed flawlessly on the return to the marina.

Marker 1 had no spaces, the last one reserved for a large Motor yacht. We move South to the Dunedin City Marina and tied off at the Bon Appetit restaurant's visitors dock that doubles as the transient dock for the marina.

At first Scott believed the boat to be unseaworthy. But as we talked it out and discovered the nature of the problem that changed. However another problem arose. The weather forecast for the Northeast Gulf of Mexico went from bad to worse. We had missed our weather window and this is where I remain.

We had made about half of our voyage so I paid Scott for half the contract. It was only fair. He said he was prepared to finish the journey when the weather cleared. I've been working on the boat and waiting. Seems like I do a lot of that lately.

There is some good news. The problem with the fuel was just that, the fuel. Also, the harbor master in Dunedin turned out to be an old acquaintance. It's nice to see a friendly face and to be treated well in a sea of strangers. It's also nice to get some of the maintenance out of the way.

Scott just called. He was looking at our AIS track on Marinetraffic.com. It showed we were averaging five knots against the current. This coupled with what we know about the diesel consumption confirms we have a comfortable margin of safety, even if we have to motor the entire way.
Old 20-01-2017, 11:20   #135

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Yikes! Phil, hang in there, it will get better and one day you will look back on these trying days as a rite of passage, one that you have successfully negotiated.

Jim