Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Oh the joys of boat ownership [emoji8].
B reak
Out
Another
Thousand
Old 13-12-2016, 08:02   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: The Nauti One, an Endeavor 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareKnot View Post
Hi Cadence. The previous owner of the yacht owns a business in South Carolina. I think it has something to do with state taxes, but I'm not sure. However, based on his assurances, we both came out okay. Now you know what I do.
My guess is he was writing it off as a business asset and selling low let him take depreciation immediate depreciation?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 08:57   #48

I was heading south on the ICW and saw your boat on the side of one of the rivers. I was wondering if you are ok?
dogbulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 10:00   #49

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have a lot of respect for someone like you who comes on the forum...asks questions...does their homework and pursues their dream. You have a great little ship and I can tell it really energizes you. Good on ya!
It didn't take long though for the armchair sailors to start on questioning what you decide to do concerning projects. Hopefully your enthusiasm will spill over on them and get em motivated.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 10:30   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
CAREKNOT,

I am frugal, so I understand it may seem painful to pay for cleaning your boat's tank and fuel.

If I were you I would bite the bullet and do the following:

1. Pay to have the tank thoroughly cleaned (spotless as can be)
2. Pay to have the fuel from the tank polished
3. Buy several extra fuel filters.
Eek what, that's not frugal, this is frugal Check to see if the tank has an inspection hatch, if not fit one like this:
Clear Henderson TCL4 Inspection Hatch TCL4-CLEAR

Now you have a hole in the tank empty the fuel into plastic containers. Use a 2" wall paper stripper to scrape the crap out of the tank. Filter the diesel and and ditch the last couple of gallons. Marigold gloves and clean rags essential for this job. Put the filtered diesel back in and dose the living daylights out of it with your chosen poison.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 12:53   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Eek what, that's not frugal, this is frugal Check to see if the tank has an inspection hatch, if not fit one like this:

Now you have a hole in the tank empty the fuel into plastic containers. Use a 2" wall paper stripper to scrape the crap out of the tank. Filter the diesel and and ditch the last couple of gallons. Marigold gloves and clean rags essential for this job. Put the filtered diesel back in and dose the living daylights out of it with your chosen poison.

Pete
Exactly...It's different when you own your own boat. You try to be hands on as possible. I recently had my diesel polished in Mx. only because it was extremely cheap to do...US not so cheap.
What people don't understand is this is not the only project the owner has to do onboard and usually the money faucet is opened full throttle for the first while getting things sorted out.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-12-2016, 15:33   #52

I am not sure if anyone noticed my last post but I saw his boat on the banks of a river in South Carolina. It was in a marsh just south of the marina where he had work completed. Does anyone know if he is ok? The dinghy was still on the boat!
dogbulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 17:26   #53

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
My guess is he was writing it off as a business asset and selling low let him take depreciation immediate depreciation?
That's my take on it.
Old 17-12-2016, 17:28   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbulter View Post
I was heading south on the ICW and saw your boat on the side of one of the rivers. I was wondering if you are ok?
It's very kind of you to check up on me. Yeah, it was hell week. I left you a PM.
Old 17-12-2016, 17:35   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have a lot of respect for someone like you who comes on the forum...asks questions...does their homework and pursues their dream. You have a great little ship and I can tell it really energizes you. Good on ya!
It didn't take long though for the armchair sailors to start on questioning what you decide to do concerning projects. Hopefully your enthusiasm will spill over on them and get em motivated.
Thanks for the encouragement. You're a bit of an inspiration too. It's been a real eye-opener. But it's also been an immense amount of fun. Just got to Savannah. Went through a lot of Trials but it was worth it.

Don't be too hard on those that urge caution. Everyone expresses their concerns differently. I'd rather have that then no concern at all.

I read a bit of your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll try and get back to read some more later. As you have probably figured out, I've got my hands full.
Old 17-12-2016, 17:42   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
The fuel was clean, the filters were clean, in fact there was nothing wrong with the fuel system at all

I think I know what it is. I'll let you know as soon as I confirm it . Delancey is coming over tomorrow. He said he would help. God bless cruising sailors. They are a breed apart.
Old 20-12-2016, 17:01   #57

Things are going well at Sail Harbor Marina & Boatyard in Savannah Georgia. These people are great.

I am the beneficiary someone else's upgrade. I no longer have to stand in the cold rain while motoring down the Intercoastal Waterway. I bought myself a Bimini for my birthday! Whoo hoo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161220_162512.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	138299  
Old 20-12-2016, 19:34   #58

Looks good...
Old 20-12-2016, 23:31   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Looks good...
Thank you! It looks significantly better than I do after 8 hours in a 40 something degree fareheit drizzle. The tablet with OpenCPN on it preferres the Bimini to the ziplock bag it's been living in too. Happy birthday to me...
Old 21-12-2016, 00:46   #60

I've got a new solid state drive Toshiba laptop. I'm reluctant to put it in a clear zip lock bag as it has a fan which means it has to circulate air in order to cool. I'll probably let it live inside the boat. It also has my AIS overlay. So I'll set the alarms on a passage.