Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 08:49   #31

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: The International Bucketeers Squadron

Do my bucket with the hooked on seat count ??Ive had this one for over 20 yrs and it's almost part of the family !! (we do have others of course, ya can't mix your buckets ya know!)
Old 29-09-2012, 09:09   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Another True Story by Tony B

I just remembered this. This had to be like 25 years ago or so. I was a crew boat captain with a load of cargo going down Bayou LaFourche and heading into the Guf of Mex. I get a call on the radio from a large supply boat telling me to pull over because he had something of ours and we couldn't leave without it. This was strange because I didn't get any calls from the dockmaster telling me I forgot something. I told the Capt on the supply boat that he might have the wrong boat, maybe he wanted someone else. He insisted it was us that he wanted so I pulled over to the side of the channel as much as I could and this was one of the rare moments when there was no traffic. He comes up from behind me and pulls along side. Well low and behold, there is my new deckhand on his deck soaking wet just standing there. Moments earlier, he was on my deck just standing there. Anyway, he climbed across and get back onto our boat again. He comes up to the wheelhouse and explains that he had a 5 gal. bucket with a rope on it. He tied the rope around his forearm for a really good grip and threw the bucket overboard to see what happens.
The story we got from the supply boat was that he looked like he was fired from a canon as he was snatched overboard. Wish I had a video.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 09:22   #33

Well said! It really is about the bucket.... bucket list that is.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 10:09   #34

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

We should not forget what the esteemed W. Churchill once said:

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by it."

I wonder if he ever thought about using a halyard and winch?

3 Galvanized - size unknown, but holds 6 beers and ice nicely (I like to entertain)

1 Canvass - big enough for DeWalt drill, various wrenches, parts and other tools. - maybe 5 gallons

1 orange with lid - 6 gallons - swabbing the deck silly

2 white ones with lids - fermenting buckets, one has a spout on the bottom for bottling

1 stainless steel, with lid, for brewing, making a low country broil, etc.

Thank heavens they nest well.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 08:49   #35

Boat: Catalina 30

So after searching and finding this thread i am disappointed to find that there is no burgee available. For shame.
Old 18-02-2014, 09:04   #36

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
So after searching and finding this thread i am disappointed to find that there is no burgee available. For shame.
We have been waiting for the writer of post #35 to manufacture and make here available to us…………………….

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 09:54   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post

The accepted custom is simply to hoist a bucket into the rigging .

Experienced liveaboards may have to lower the Bicycle to do that .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:30   #38

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I came across this article during my usual rigorous study of the internet. . . . It's from Clickhole, which is run by the folks from the Onion:

6 Lies About Buckets You Can Tell Your Dim-Witted... | ClickHole

If this is how you want to spend your Thanksgiving, here are some lies about buckets you can try out on your aunt who is a little slow on the uptake.

1. “Bucket” is one of those trademarked product names that’s been co-opted as a generic term: Explain to your dense aunt that it’s one of those brand names like Band-Aid or Kleenex or Q-tip that has gradually, over time, evolved into a universal blanket term for similar products. She’s got no reason to ever bring this up and be corrected, so she’ll probably spend the whole rest of her life thinking this. Way to go.

2. The circumference ratio of the top and bottom of a bucket is identical to the circumference ratio of the moon and the sun: This one might seem extremely far-fetched, but to your aunt’s not-all-there mind, it might as well be coming out of an encyclopedia. She did go all-in on the Cutco knives marketing system, so getting her on board with this bucket whopper shouldn’t be that tough.

3. The first bucket was invented in 1971 to hold Richard Nixon’s sweat: Buckets have been around for a very long time, but considering how many screws your aunt has loose, it will be very easy to convince her that the first bucket was invented in the ’70s after the Secret Service decided it needed a place to hold the sweat of President Richard Nixon. All you need to do is tell her that you read this someplace like Bucket Facts Magazine, and she will think this is gospel.

4. When a small bucket fits inside a larger bucket, it’s two buckets. When the larger bucket fits inside the smaller bucket, it’s one bucket: You could ask your aunt about her refrigerator-magnet-making hobby, or you could watch her synapses parse this one out. It’s really your call.

5. Once you flip a bucket, you need a new one: Saying something like, “Once it’s upside down, you can’t put anything in it, so it’s no good!” will probably do the trick. Maybe your aunt did too much LSD in her twenties or something? Definitely something going on there.

6. “Bucket” is a combination of the words “buckle” and “basket”: There is an opportunity todouble down on this lie by saying that the handles on buckets originally had buckles on them, hence the portmanteau of “buckle” and “basket,” but it’s probably unnecessary. Your batty old aunt who has married four different con men and one of them twice needs no convincing.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:33   #39

Boat: I don't have a boat yet. Shopping

No boat yet but I have five buckets. I am a wealthly swabbie.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:19   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

buck buck bucket... i found some awesome square buckets with lids that flip up!!
this is awesomeness!! now i can stow items such as chemicals and items requiring dry air in places not in my way!!! and they donot roll!!!!
donot step on tops, tho---water prufness cannot be guaranteed.
so, as i have bubba, the one cat multicat, i have 4 of these. stackable buckets ha ha ha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:30   #41

Boat: Valiant 40

This is my favorite bucket. Indestructible and the kink the handle keeps a rope centered if you use it.

I have a couple of west marine 3.5 gallon buckets but they are usually full of crap in the cockpit lockers lol.

Just today in fact I decided that I had too many buckets and took the crappiest one off the boat to toss out. I guess I just took myself down a notch.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 15:34   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Another True Story by Tony B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I just remembered this. This had to be like 25 years ago or so. I was a crew boat captain with a load of cargo going down Bayou LaFourche and heading into the Guf of Mex. I get a call on the radio from a large supply boat telling me to pull over because he had something of ours and we couldn't leave without it. This was strange because I didn't get any calls from the dockmaster telling me I forgot something. I told the Capt on the supply boat that he might have the wrong boat, maybe he wanted someone else. He insisted it was us that he wanted so I pulled over to the side of the channel as much as I could and this was one of the rare moments when there was no traffic. He comes up from behind me and pulls along side. Well low and behold, there is my new deckhand on his deck soaking wet just standing there. Moments earlier, he was on my deck just standing there. Anyway, he climbed across and get back onto our boat again. He comes up to the wheelhouse and explains that he had a 5 gal. bucket with a rope on it. He tied the rope around his forearm for a really good grip and threw the bucket overboard to see what happens.
The story we got from the supply boat was that he looked like he was fired from a canon as he was snatched overboard. Wish I had a video.
Dats funny. Was his name Beaudreaux?

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 15:43   #43

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Thanks for reviving this old thread, somehow I missed it!

I never leave the dock without a bucket aboard. Have been known to make a last minute trip to the hardware store just to buy buckets for a boat that had none. So many uses aboard.

Just added two to my inventory. Big yellow heavy duty 5 gallon buckets originally used for vegetable oil. Bought from a local restaurant for $1.50 each....of course it took about $5 worth of labor and soap to get the veggie oil residue out of them.

Definitely interested in IBS membership (unfortunate acronym though...Google "IBS" ).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:48   #44

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Fashionable new headgear for all Bucketeers. . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-06 08.47.55.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	137555  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 13:36   #45

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

the good lord has blessed me with many buckets throughout my life - but I aint gonna join a club that would have someone like me for a member...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote