Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-03-2015, 10:47   #106
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: The FrankenBebi Project

It isn't that the 1157 socket isn't approved, but the 1157/56 replacement bulbs aren't approved by the US DOT or any other body in automotive use. One reason you might find these LEDs are "unfocused" is because that is intentional in this application. These are designed to be an even 360-degreee illumination, emulating a tungsten taillight bulb.
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about resoldering LEDs. The bulbs that use dozens of 'em usually use cheap [read: affordable] noname LEDs, expecting some will burn out but enough will keep working. That's valid logic for many things.
But any prime LED should last 50,000 hours till 70% brightness, and 100,000 hours overall. 50,000 hours at 12 hours per night every night is only 11.4 years, surely you'd want to go inspect or replace something by then? Or, wait 22.8 years for the damned thing to die?(G)

Old 31-03-2015, 11:12   #107

Boat: csy 37

"a 60 LED Photo sensing Bay15D bulb"

can you tell me where you buy these?

Old 31-03-2015, 21:30   #108

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
It isn't that the 1157 socket isn't approved, but the 1157/56 replacement bulbs aren't approved by the US DOT or any other body in automotive use. One reason you might find these LEDs are "unfocused" is because that is intentional in this application. These are designed to be an even 360-degreee illumination, emulating a tungsten taillight bulb.
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about resoldering LEDs. The bulbs that use dozens of 'em usually use cheap [read: affordable] noname LEDs, expecting some will burn out but enough will keep working. That's valid logic for many things.
But any prime LED should last 50,000 hours till 70% brightness, and 100,000 hours overall. 50,000 hours at 12 hours per night every night is only 11.4 years, surely you'd want to go inspect or replace something by then? Or, wait 22.8 years for the damned thing to die?(G)
Thanx for the input...I like the idea of a "one replaceable bulb". I must be conditioned for that. I think I'll have to beta test this for a year or so. One thing I'll do when I return (again) to Mx, is while anchored out, snap a shot at night and see how it compares to the rest of the fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
"a 60 LED Photo sensing Bay15D bulb"

can you tell me where you buy these?
The company is LED Wholsalers.com
The bulb is a "Navigation light with photo sensor, Bright White".
Number 1476dwh
Bulb is LED BAY15D 60SMD
Tower 10-30VDC
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 23:05   #109
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interesting that they rate the bulb for 30,000 hours. That usually means either they are running it too hot, or at too high a current (so it will be brighter) or they are using cheap LEDs. But at that price, heck, put six in a jelly jar and have a nice anchor light.(G)
Old 19-04-2015, 18:56   #110
Senior Cruiser

Boat: C&C 34

What happened to this project????

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: