Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2013, 14:34   #61

Boat: Cornado 25
Re: The FrankenBebi Project

New news at The FrankenBebi Project..

First up, we now have our own domain, FrankenBebiProject.org and new email addresses to match. Shiny new toys for the holidays. If you have our older pages bookmarked, you will be forwarded to the corresponding page on the new site. All the old email addresses are still usable, but as always, it is best to update your bookmarks.

Along with the new domain, we have made a few changes to the web pages, mostly just housekeeping issues. We have however added a quick-mail form to our contact page so you can contact us directly without having to copy and paste our email address.

We have also added a short (5 question) survey to the home and news pages on the site. If you have the time, please stop by and fill it out so we have a better idea of what the community at large wants from the FrankenBebi anchor light. No personal information requested, just the facts ma'am.

Meanwhile, testing of existing designs continues along with some new experiments by our latest team members.

Igor will have the full newsletter for late December mailed out sometime this weekend. See the website for how to subscribe if you want "the rest of the story"....

Thanks again for your interest and support.

P.S. At this time, we don't have any plans for a blue light... but you never know, it should be a trivial exercise given a decent source of decent "Blue" LEDs. Make sure you fill out the survey and make your request for new features in the last question on the survey
Old 27-12-2013, 16:18   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I have one Owl light now on the masthead and will be ordering two more as soon as they are ready for show time. Living aboard on a mooring, I want one on the Bow and Stern in addition to the anchor light. Being visable in an anchorage or mooring field is a GOOD thing!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 03:20   #63
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Out of interest Igor, which LEDs are you using?

Sent from my SGP312 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 03:34   #64

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

My Bebi in the cockpit just burned out, actually it started to flicker really bad. Waiting to order one of the Frankenbebi's as soon as I can.. Keep up the good work.
Old 28-12-2013, 05:57   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Out of interest Igor, which LEDs are you using?

Sent from my SGP312 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Don't worry, found it earlier in the thread
Old 28-12-2013, 07:33   #66
cruiser

Quote:
We are using C503Ds with a Vf bin of 29. You can grab the spec sheet here
Does the 15deg viewing angle cause any dark patches between the LEDs on those? The spacing would appear to be 24deg.
Ta
Old 28-12-2013, 09:43   #67
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

cona-
The beamspread that is nominally quoted on LEDs is not an absolute cut-off, like a nav light's. When a maker like Cree says an LED has a 15 degree spread, that's 15 degrees to a certain illumination level. So if the LEDs have a 50% fall-off at 15 degrees, they will have full brightness for 15 degrees, and then less brightness beyond that. IIRC that could mean they are still more than 50% brightness at 20 to 30 degrees, so the overlapping from one LED to the next covers the extra degrees between them. (Adding the dimmer light from two adjacent LEDs allows them to combine and still provide "enough" in the gap.)
The overlap and the fall-off will be in the technical specs for the LEDs, but those never make it to the best-seller lists. Or Hollywood screenplays.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 10:18   #68
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
cona-
The beamspread that is nominally quoted on LEDs is not an absolute cut-off, like a nav light's. When a maker like Cree says an LED has a 15 degree spread, that's 15 degrees to a certain illumination level. So if the LEDs have a 50% fall-off at 15 degrees, they will have full brightness for 15 degrees, and then less brightness beyond that. IIRC that could mean they are still more than 50% brightness at 20 to 30 degrees, so the overlapping from one LED to the next covers the extra degrees between them. (Adding the dimmer light from two adjacent LEDs allows them to combine and still provide "enough" in the gap.)
The overlap and the fall-off will be in the technical specs for the LEDs, but those never make it to the best-seller lists. Or Hollywood screenplays.<G>
Yep, graph is on page 7 of the data sheet. Tails off to near zero quickly. I was wondering if there was any visible taper in the emitter light in real life.
Old 29-12-2013, 11:16   #69

@conachair
Quote:
Yep, graph is on page 7 of the data sheet. Tails off to near zero quickly. I was wondering if there was any visible taper in the emitter light in real life.
No visible taper in real life... From over 25' individual LEDs cannot be discerned. Under 25' it's too bright to look at comfortably.

@Thin Line
Quote:
My Bebi in the cockpit just burned out, actually it started to flicker really bad.
Quick question... was this an original Owl? and did it have the the built-in photoswitch? How old?...

If it is an original Owl with the Bebi-Electronics Sticker still on it, once we are in production you can return it to us, and we will replace it for the cost of shipping. As we have stated before, we are not associated with the original Bebi-Electronics but as Michael and Kendra would replace it if they could, we will try to do the same for their original customers. Get in touch with me via the website for additional info on how to get your dead Owl replaced.

Also I would like to say thanks again for your efforts in Boot Key Harbor.
Old 12-01-2014, 16:28   #70

New FrankenBebi Project News

New News at the FrankenBebi Project.

Quick recap....
New project team members
New circuit design with better performance and reliablilty.
New monolithic case design (Thanks "HelloSailor")
Effects of new designs on release dates.

For all the latest news visit the FrankenBebi Project website
While you are there, you can subscribe to Igor's Newsletter to get the latest delivered to your inbox in a semi-regular fashion.

If you haven't done so yet, please take a minute to fill out our short (6 question) survey in order to help us tailor the FrankenBebi to the cruising community's needs.

As always, thanks for your interest and support.
Old 14-01-2014, 12:08   #71

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

In another thread I asked about having PV and battery for one week with wifi or by control. Paul E replied that bat weight too much and PV size too large for top mast. Maybe need future Batts and more efficient PV 20%? It will happen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 22:43   #72

New Case Preview

Here is a preview of the new "Ice-Cube" case design

Igor's latest Newsletter will be sent out this weekend....
Old 31-01-2014, 10:19   #73

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
@Thin Line Quick question... was this an original Owl? and did it have the the built-in photoswitch? How old?...

If it is an original Owl with the Bebi-Electronics Sticker still on it, once we are in production you can return it to us, and we will replace it for the cost of shipping. As we have stated before, we are not associated with the original Bebi-Electronics but as Michael and Kendra would replace it if they could, we will try to do the same for their original customers. Get in touch with me via the website for additional info on how to get your dead Owl replaced.

Also I would like to say thanks again for your efforts in Boot Key Harbor.
I don't know how I missed this post, but thank you for the offer and I can't wait until I have another on my boat again. Yes it was the original Owl with the sticker on it, it's about 4 years old I think. I'll get ahold of you on the site and again, thank you for the service! We will be buying a couple more I'm sure.
Old 07-02-2014, 19:18   #74

New News at The FrankenBebi Project

Latest schematics and board designs posted. Future options and more... Please take the time to fill out our survey if you haven't done so already.

As always, your comments and suggestions are encouraged, either via this thread, or via the project site.

Fair Winds.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:03   #75

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
New News at The FrankenBebi Project

Latest schematics and board designs posted. Future options and more... Please take the time to fill out our survey if you haven't done so already.

As always, your comments and suggestions are encouraged, either via this thread, or via the project site.

Fair Winds.
Your update, date is Nov. 7th. Should it not be Feb. 7th?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote