Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2011, 08:50   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: The Coast Guard doesn’t beat around the bush when explaining their new restrictio

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
It's funny you should suggest that. One of the "solutions" the CG came up with to determine your new capacity was to weigh every passenger before they got on board. Can you imagine?
I would imagine that some people would rather stay ashore than stand on a scale.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 09:05   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: The Coast Guard doesn’t beat around the bush when explaining their new restrictio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
no one in usa knows math....uscg is in and of usa, therefore they know not math
Nor proper English, like wot the Queen speaks .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 09:23   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Nor proper English, like wot the Queen speaks .
But my daddy is bigger then your's!
Old 22-12-2011, 09:27   #19

Boat: Fortune 30
Though I've been in running battles with the Coast Guard for years now over licenses, and them not counting my CG sea service at times (go figure), I will back them up on this. There were tragedies involving loss of life. Everyone says 'why did this happen' and 'how can we prevent it from happening again'? Well, this is the solution they came up with. If they don't do anything and it happens again, then people would blame the CG for not doing enough. They looked at the average weight of people and saw that it had gone up. however, they are allowing people to individually challenge the arbitrary rule and prove that their boat is stable enough to retain the full passenger load. Seems reasonable to me, just like forcing boats to spend money on safety gear and servicing that equipment.

Pyrate
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 09:33   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Here's an example, too many people, not enough ballast. >> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ent-57808.html
Old 22-12-2011, 09:46   #21

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would imagine that some people would rather stay ashore than stand on a scale.
In a previous incarnation the wife and I ran a boarding stable offering trail rides. We sometimes had to disallow obese people from riding for the horses' sake. I don't know who was more embarrassed, the client or me for telling them they couldn't go.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 09:53   #22

Yes, one of Seatle's bigger ferrys was de rated from 2000 passengers to 1780 I believe.... Not that they ever get that many!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 10:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'd say 90% of the passengers onboard the little one day sport fisher I work on are >200lbs.

People are getting fat/huge/gross at an alarming rate. Stuff is nuts.
Don't knock 200lb people blindly. At 200lbs I look like I'm anorexic. At 220, I am healthy and inside my BMI.

Why can't they just change the regulation to weigh people and know exactly how close you are to a vessels capacity? I mean honestly, how much is a scale and a calculator now?
Old 22-12-2011, 10:22   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpattyd View Post
The Coast Guard seems to be making a decision based on reality. Yes the population is getting heavier. There r many reasons the population is gaining weight.
...and non of them good!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 10:38   #25

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Anyone who rode on the water taxi in Baltimore that flipped likely figured it was a accident waiting to happen. I believe the passenger weight exceeded the net on the boat. It was a pontoon boat and relativily narrow beam. It turned turtle when everyone moved to one side to avoid getting wet.

It reminds me of when the FAA stated that the back of the plane was safest. all the cartoons showed the passengers in the back and the front wheels off trhe ground.

I have always been amazed at how many passengers some inspected vessels were allowed.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 10:41   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Mississippi was the state with the highest obesity rate in 2002 and is also the state with the most people living in poverty. The top three rankings for obesity were Mississippi, West Virginia and Alabama. Each has large numbers of people living in poverty.

The relationship between poverty and obesity is a modern one and seems to be because processed foods are cheap and filling without providing the nutrition need for health, instead they provide fat, sugar, sodium and carbohydrates.

There is some evidence that the rate of increase in obesity in the US is slowing, perhaps because it has reached levels such that information is getting out to people. Of course it isn't just poor people suffering from it but they do drive the numbers.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 11:37   #27

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I get strange looks when I ask for the kids menu. 66yrs old 160 lbs 5' 7" same 32" waist I had at 16.
Old 22-12-2011, 11:46   #28

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Hummingway, All so unfortuatly true. However I am proof also that Prime steaks, butter laden sauces, potatoes, and bacon wrapped whatevers can do this also.

It is also a statistic that a lot more of the great unwashed are now involved in Boating than ever before. We tend to skew things up.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 11:51   #29

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
In a previous incarnation the wife and I ran a boarding stable offering trail rides. We sometimes had to disallow obese people from riding for the horses' sake. I don't know who was more embarrassed, the client or me for telling them they couldn't go.
Hired a wrangler to horse us over Kearsarge Pass in the High Sierra. Weight limit was 200 pounds. Asked what if Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger had come to ride. The wranger said the governor would have to walk.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 11:56   #30

Boat: Fortune 30
The problem with the weight limit, is that it's just harder to plan and count. Imagine a boat chartered for a corporate event or wedding and you can't tell them how many people you can hold until everyone is on the dock!
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote