Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2019, 14:36   #1

TERMITES on Savage Oceanic 42’ 1981

We recently acquired a 1981 Savage 42. We like the boat very much and want to restore her. Unfortunately she has had a termite infestation for a couple of years now. We have had her treated professionally with fipronil bait and continue to make treatments. We are worried about the structural implications as there is damage to a cross member just under the two longitudinal keel members supporting the mast. We plan to drill out the rot and fill with structural epoxy. Also will Sister a new glassed in cross member.
Has anyone been through termites damage and could add input, and/or by any chance, has structural drawings of this boat ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
iaorana2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:02   #2

Boat: Glastron, GS-249, 24 ft
Re: TERMITES on Savage Oceanic 42’ 1981

Hi - This is my first post! I kept my 1987 Chris Craft cuddy cabin in the canal behind my house. One fall we returned home to find lots of "dust" around the cabin and engine room. Eventually, I stepped on a bolster and it fell apart, revealing termites with their eggs. I sprayed with a termite killer product from Home Depot, and also looked for other nests, spraying liberally. I thought I got them all, but about 6 months later I found more infestation in the form of "tunnels" in various places. I got my old trailer out of storage, but it wasn't in condition to haul the boat. So the following fall we came back home, and the entire wooden areas of the boat were ruined. I finally got the trailer fixed, hauled the boat to a professional exterminator, who tented it and treated with Vikan. Eventually, I realized the whole boat was shot, so I sold it very cheap. Lesson learned - Don't delay when termites are first discovered, immediately take it to a professional exterminator or pay to have him tent the boat in the water.
Tom in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 21:07   #3

Re: TERMITES on Savage Oceanic 42’ 1981

Thanks for sharing your experience... not uplifting, though.We had ours treated with fipronil by a local Compagny here in Vanuatu, where unfortunately, they don’t offer the tenting/gassing option.Living on board, we keep treating as we discover more activity.Our concern is about the potential structural damage they can have done, and wanted to know if some owner or previous owner of an Savage Oceanic 42’ would have some informations, drawings about the construction of the boat.
iaorana2012 is offline   Reply With Quote