Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 16:07   #61
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Tender Theft. What Would You Do?:

Well RR, it sounds like you are making some good sized deposits into the Karma Bank. While it doesn't pay interest (AFAIK), neither does it go bust. Your Karma account is safe and while you may never need to draw on it, it is nice to have a healthy balance just in case.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-05-2012, 16:29   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
@Celestialsailor, I don't have any cause it's not a real thing. But that has no effect on the fact that I'm a hell of a nice guy when it comes to helping out people in distress. Since I left VT in november I have tow 3 sailors with issues. 3 times I was just cruising along and stopped for waving arms to see what was up. I'm younger and have owned a tow truck so pulling things comes naturally. My GF pointed out that of all the old folks traveling in our direction (north), clearly they wouldn't be up for any sort of towing with there vessels. I'm sure many cruise for years without ever towing a distressed sailor, yet I have 3 times in 6 months. Don't pretend you know who I am. I'm the one who would crawl into your engine compartment and have a look, just because I love engines and could probably give some good advice.
I'm sorry RR. Another failed attempt on my part being funny.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-05-2012, 16:35   #63

Boat: Silverton 42

Something's amiss with the story. If they got from their boat to the island then they must have had a dinghy, swam or bummed a ride. Most likely they had their own dinghy. If they were drunk, mixed up the dinghy's, were too drunk to tie it up and it accidentally drifted away (likely given that their wallets were left behind) then that's a far cry from the malicious possibility of intentionally stealing then setting adrift the dinghy. I think I agree with Troublemaker. I think the circumstances speak more of being drunk idiost then malicious theft. If their explanation made sense - maybe I'd let them off otherwise they can deal with the consequences of their stupidity. As to Ex-Calif's comparison of a bunch of stupid drunks to pirates who may kill you - I think the issues are worlds apart.
Cheers,
Bill
Old 06-05-2012, 16:50   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
I would have requested to meet all three of them, if I felt that they were truly sorry for there crime I would not have pressed any charges, Karma does come around.
Well according to the below quote from the OP it seems the "thief owner of the sail boat" was taking the initiative to meet the owners......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post
The thief owner of the sail boat walked up to the bar and asked me if "I was Steve Larson?"
"If I was I'd have a gun" I replied,, the head thief turned pale,, and the 3 thieves quickly exited, headed to the water taxi,, and vanished.
.....i wonder what he/they wanted ?? i will leave that up to the CF Hanging Judges Judiciary to answer that......
Old 06-05-2012, 17:02   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

There are an awful lot of head scratchers in the story. How did they come to leave their wallets in the boat? Would you, drunk or otherwise, climb into a stolen dinghy and then put your wallet down? Three fellows apparently did. Keys left in a $8000 dinghy? How many would do that? The three guys go into the bar looking for the aggrieved and then leave because some guy says if he was him he'd have a gun?

I find there is too many questions to be bothered passing judgement.

Old 06-05-2012, 20:58   #66

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
For all that think their drunkness makes it less evil and no harm meant. WAKE UP. It means they drink too much, and do this sorta thing all the time. It's not like a one time slip up, if your dunk and commit a crime. You have that mindset and think nothing of it. And karma is just a hippy word, it isn't a real thing. But having to earn $10,000 again and buy another dinghy is very real. Getting it back shouldn't change the punishment for grand larceny.

Well, RabidRabbit, you seem to be a man of astounding clairvoyance. Sadly, I am not so gifted. It is with pounding heart and bowed head I point out to you that your proclamation that “Karma” is a “hippy word”, suffers the fact that the very concept of Karma originated in the first millennium BC. More to my shame, I also seem the type to refrain from thinking I can know a person before I look that person in the eyes and at least have a short conversation with him or her, and yet, like magic, you instinctively know by the very fact that they were drunk they must commit crimes “all the time”.

Here is a rock, old wise one-- cast away. Cast the **** out of it. Hope you hit the sinner right between the eyes. One more thing, it's not "if your drunk", it's "if you're drunk".
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
Old 06-05-2012, 21:16   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

OK folks. Settle it down a bit please. Sailing, cruising etc. etc.

I think you all know the drill.

Old 06-05-2012, 21:18   #68

Boat: Traditional 30

I would show them the same respect they showed me. NONE. Book em Danno!!

I would show more respect for a homeless theif, who took it because he needed the money, than a so called respected soldier.

On the other side of the coin, it was most likely a drunk prank, which needs to be considered. Ok I considered it. I would still show them the same respect they showed me! NONE.
Old 06-05-2012, 21:25   #69

Boat: Silverton 42

I recall being in Court watching all the guilty guys awaiting their turn to plead guilty before a certain Judge known for his light sentences. One guy plead guilty to mischief (slashing a convertible top). He normally would have received a fine. The Judge jailed him for some months. The Judge had his top slashed recently (not by the accused). The moral: yes, I'd like to think I'd hear the full story and then pass judgement. However, if I had a whole bunch of stuff stolen from me I may be more judgemental and harsher. I'm not trying to excuse RabidRabbit's comment (which seemed harsh) but I can see circumstances in which one has simply had enough. There's room for all positions. Not all opposing views are wrong. Cheers,
Bill
Old 06-05-2012, 21:39   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin
Catalina Island is too close to large populated areas of California and lots of thiefs.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience in Avalon. The crime rate is actually very low-even more so at Two Harbors. We go there often (mostly two Harbors, maybe once a year Avalon) and have never had a problem or have heard of one. Most don't lock dingies-and there are large numbers tied in summer.

It would have been nice to hear what they had to say o the owner. It would have helped me decide whether to prosecute. It really sounds like too much alcohol and a bad job of tying instead of malice. I hope they do something good to give someone else the kindness they got from the owners of the dingy.
Old 06-05-2012, 21:44   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The incredible mosaic of opinion and values never ceases to amaze me. I have a lot of respect for the couple that influenced the sherrif to let them off the hook. That is a big heart and they did get the dinghy back.

But crikey's. Most people have worked damn hard to get a boat and go cruising. This is a 6-8 thousand dollar item. Where are the lines drawn? Steal a couple grand worth of batteries off the boat? Chart plotter and electronics? Wallets, identifications and the $2 grand in cash in the cruising kitty? Jewelry? TV, computer or ipads?

The recovery of the dink was an accident. The perps did not care and had no intention prehaps of the owner ever recovering their property. But did they?

OTOH - Skeptical Hippo is starting to wonder about the veracity of this whole story. There are some inconsistencies but perhaps part of it is we don't really know the whole story. If these guys were so dumb as to leave wallets on board, maybe they were too dumb to tie the dink off and it set adrift from bad seamanship and not malice. Maybe they intended to get back on the dink and go back to shore later thus leaving wallets, preesumably in bags, in the dink. It is not logical to jump in a stolen dink and 3 guys pull their wallets from their pockets and place them on seats.

Also in rereading the original post it is not clear they were in fact drunk. We may have presumed that.

Sure would be interersting to get a first hand account of what happened but that isn't likely...
Old 07-05-2012, 01:13   #72

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

back in the old days, domestic violence ( wife beating) victims were often asked by police whether they wanted to press charges. After a period of reflection, many declined and the guys got off. A leopard cant change its spots and these criminals do it over again. More damage done to the victim and other by standers and the courts and police blamed for not preventing it
So the law changed and the victim lost the right to decide on leniency. Now, all domestic violence is charged and dealt with

There are laws about theft and courts decide the outcome based on the evidence.

I think thats the least emotive course of action and fairest to all. Why should one thief get charged and another get off?

As for the other circumstances, like being drunk. Thats still no excuse. I take a dim view of people who get so drunk or stoned that they dont know what they are doing (allegedly). So this time they stole a dink. What will drunk behaviour make them do next time?

There are too many victims of crime these days, there is too much crime which goes un solved and un punished.
There is simply too much crime and it seems society hasnt found a better way of dealing with it other than to prosecute and punish, so under these circumstances, they should have been punished, regardless of mitigating circumstances like drunkenness or being Army personel.

Let due process take its course.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41   #73

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Jails are full

Jobless they end up on welfare

This time they were playing around

Mess up their lives and next time they will do serious crime

We need instant and swift punishment like Singapore. There they would see a judge, quickly, and get a sentence of caining. Fast

These young men would grow up fast and learn to respect property.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09   #74

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Our dinghy was stolen one night near a beautiful beach. Being very small, with a 3hp outboard, it was no use to the thieves. We left a message offering a ransom and the boat duly appeared a few days later. We paid it and got it back. It cost us half of what the thing had cost in the first place a month earlier so we were content that we didn't have to pay the full ammount again.

These thieves made a profit and got un-punished. If they haven't done it again they will at the first opportunity. Why wouldn't they? Are we to blame?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:21   #75

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

I was told this story by a friend from Toronto, as far back as 1980

A family discovered their BBQ had been stolen from the deck. 2 days later it was back with a note saying, sorry our son and friends took your BBQ as a prank, please acccept our apologies and take these free tickets to the ball game on saturday.

Thinking alls well that ends well, they went to the ball game and came home 3 hours later to find the house had been completely emptied of all valuables.

Give an inch and they take a mile

Tags
tender