Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 04:25   #46

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Tender Theft. What Would You Do?:

According to the eye-for-an-eye justice of Hammurabi's Code, the three thieves should have their dinghies removed.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:32   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Upon further reflection, given that they left their wallets in the dink - quite possible that they simply didn't tie the dink up well enough rather than deliberately set it adrift.

In an ideal world I would want to meet them in person, fairly easy to tell if someone is simply making excuses or is genuinely horrified that they set the dink adrift. If the latter then I would let them off - a learning experiance for both of us.

For me too much alcohol is not an excuse - but it is a good reason for things going more badly than intended.

But I still think that someone who has $8k of RIB should take a bit more care than they did - not to say they were "asking for it", but..........

....says the bloke who hasn't locked his dink in 5 years. and the (unchained) oars are still in it! But it is 8 foot of plastic crap!
+1

I agree with every word of this.

Including the bit about being lax about locking up my dink. It's a great advantage of having a really ugly one! But coincidentally, I did just buy a new lock for it last week . . .
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58   #48

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Taking someone else'sboat is theft, pure and simple.
But these idiots were drunk (or stupid) enough to leave their wallets, so most likely just forgot to secure the dinghy at their boat.
Don't know what I would have done, but sure hope they wouldn't have to appear before CF's "hang um hi" jury.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:44   #49

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
I was young and drunk 1 time yes it's true! Me and my accomplices decided to steal a peacock from a local business . I have no idea why, and of course 3 young drunk guys cannot catch a peacock. My point is we can do some incredibly stupid things while drunk.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:27   #50
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

For all that think their drunkness makes it less evil and no harm meant. WAKE UP. It means they drink too much, and do this sorta thing all the time. It's not like a one time slip up, if your dunk and commit a crime. You have that mindset and think nothing of it. And karma is just a hippy word, it isn't a real thing. But having to earn $10,000 again and buy another dinghy is very real. Getting it back shouldn't change the punishment for grand larceny.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:34   #51

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

I do not believe the OP said they were drunk, that was just a 'possibility' that appeared after several posts.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:59   #52

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

If these 3 guys stole an $8000 dollar car they would rightly be put to jail. They shouldn't have been let off. Most people that are the victims of criminals don't have the stomach to show up and testify. That is an act of cowardice, and that is why we have so many criminals. If the criminals were able to plea their case in court, that is up to the law to decide. By refusing to press charges these people have circumvented the court system.

They have more liability from being in the army because the last thing you want is an army that doesn't care about the property they are supposed to be protecting. DO you want these three to show up guarding your house? What if they see something you own that they want, are you going to stop a group of heavily armed trained fighters/thieves?

Someday they will be out of the army and loose on the world, drunk, irresponsible, and armed.

We will have dinghy theft, until we put people into jail for stealing dinghies. That takes the cooperation of everyone. We will have criminals until we hold people accountable for breaking the law.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:03   #53

Boat: Beneteau First 42

I would not have let them go. Behaviors have consequences, and bad behavior should have matching consequences. Whether they were drinking, a self inflicted injury in any case--is not an excuse for anti-social behavior, merely a (partial) explaination. Because the dinghy was recovered, it is likely that any penalties would have been mild, but a few days in the slammer until they got to a preliminary hearing and were granted bail would have been a good if not painful lesson. That likely would have been followed up with "Community Service". As for the members of the military, one of the most unacceptable behaviors is thievery. No one wants a thief in their squad bay. Unfortunately, even in the military the penalties would likely have been mild, an Article 32 investigation/hearing and likely no more than an Article 15 reduction in rank and confinement to quarters/duty for some period. Frankly, "turn the other cheek" does not serve any useful purpose in such circumstances.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-05-2012, 07:06   #54

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Ya the "milk of human kindness" and all that ...but NO....@Hud post 13 is absolutely right...the Sheriff had jurisdiction to proceed w/charging them criminally and should have....Dinghy theft is rampant...when we were on a mooring in Morro Bay our Achilles was stollen, later found by the Harbor patrol where the joy riders had left it just inside the Estero Bay outlet to the harbor ...the Morro Bay Police did nothing..absent a few phone calls.
Miami Beach: Dinghy theft is rampant...I was there for two weeks recently and in that time, off the Dinner Key Dinghy dock, I knew of three dinghy thefts, prior to that time, "creatures" had been busy pinching dinghies off of moored vessels ( at least 2 that I know of for sure...just the week prior to when I arrived) for Heaven's sake....word to the wise...always lock with cable through the motor and the dinghy....I don't care where you are....lock it up...there are thefts going on all over the place and all types of "neighborhoods" and law enforcement doesn't really seem to take it seriously....
Old 06-05-2012, 07:32   #55
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

I would have taken them "sailing"
Old 06-05-2012, 07:39   #56

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

...maybe "keel-haul" them around the fleet...?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:17   #57

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I think they left their wallets in the dink because they were drunk morons. They probably got back to their sailboat and figured..."Hey...if it's tied to our boat they'll know we stole it. Set it adrift...ha ha ha". And then..."Oh crap...where's my wallet"?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-05-2012, 10:31   #58

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
And karma is just a hippy word, it isn't a real thing.
Perhaps that is because you don't have any...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-05-2012, 10:38   #59

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

You know, I would not want more than an apology. Everyone makes mistakes (and this is a doozy) HOWEVER I've got to believe (in light of the wallets inside) that his wasn't done with malice. For me that is the operating criteria. No malice / no problem.

The owner of the "nice sailboat" in the harbor surely knows what a blessing he was given and I'm guessing his boat name are pretty well known out there now and tales will be told. Thieving scoundrels are quite another matter entirely. Stupidity? Yes, guilty as heck -- and hopefully smarter now!

We shall see if the faith placed in the threesome was well-placed. The owners should not have to lock up their dink but prudence suggests such a plan for the future. Frankly I believe all parties were well served by events as described in the first post.
Old 06-05-2012, 15:58   #60
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

@Celestialsailor, I don't have any cause it's not a real thing. But that has no effect on the fact that I'm a hell of a nice guy when it comes to helping out people in distress. Since I left VT in november I have tow 3 sailors with issues. 3 times I was just cruising along and stopped for waving arms to see what was up. I'm younger and have owned a tow truck so pulling things comes naturally. My GF pointed out that of all the old folks traveling in our direction (north), clearly they wouldn't be up for any sort of towing with there vessels. I'm sure many cruise for years without ever towing a distressed sailor, yet I have 3 times in 6 months. Don't pretend you know who I am. I'm the one who would crawl into your engine compartment and have a look, just because I love engines and could probably give some good advice.
Closed Thread

Tags
tender