Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 08:52   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: TEAK Love/hate relationship

Give it some more time and any love will just turn to hate....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 16:34   #17

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Give it some more time and any love will just turn to hate....
Wow, you're a bundle of joy. And… not really. I think you are thinking of infatuation.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 17:10   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

When you have a Taiwanese Teak forest up on deck...well it's a project no real end date. This below photo was taken Aug 6th 2011 and it's time to do it again.

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 18:05   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

My Rafiki has a lot of teak, above and below. I alway say the only way to get more wood on a boat is to have a wooden boat. Anyway, what we've done so far is varnish the cockpit, oil the cap rail and foredeck wood, and leave the teak deck to fend for itself.

Varnishing is a chore, but I don't find it that big a deal. I'm not particularly fussy about the outcome. My principle objective is to keep the wood protected. That means I don't fuss or fret over which varnish I use, a few bubbles, or getting the perfect colour/texture. If it's covered, it's good.

Oiling is also pretty easy. Rough it up with light grit. Grab a cloth and rub. Repeat as needed. No big deal.

Teak decks get a wash down every once in a while. I try to keep grit off them. Otherwise they just keep looking silvery good.
Old 18-12-2015, 18:59   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

My hand rails being sprayed in Awlbrite. It's no accident that the only part of the boat I've left bright can be easily removed and done indoors in the off season, hung upside down for zero dust finish, spray applied for thicker more even coats with zero brush marks. Totally cheating!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	115275  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 05:37   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNordstrom View Post
RE: teak-Love/Hate:
Dear fellow boat owners and boat lovers,
It is puzzling to me that I am infected with this disease which causes me to love any vessel type thing that floats on water. It's nice to know that I am not alone in my affliction and in fact I have come to really enjoy the advice and especially the company of my fellow "sufferers". What a great group of people!!
Thank you for all your comments!!
Ray
Yessir Ray!

Nobody knows it "all"... "We're all" still learning thousands of labor hours and tens of thousands of dollars later... If anybody tells you different you can call 'em a liar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
My hand rails being sprayed in Awlbrite. It's no accident that the only part of the boat I've left bright can be easily removed and done indoors in the off season, hung upside down for zero dust finish, spray applied for thicker more even coats with zero brush marks. Totally cheating!
Is it really cheating if you have designed a provision for keeping this immaculately showroom perfect???

No... We can be jealous... indifferent...call you an ass who shames us...
But a cheater??? Nah...

I slightly dislike you though...
Unless of course I need your help.... Then it's Grovel City!~

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 05:51   #22
vjm

I hear very good things about Honey Teak. Have not personally tried it, but there is lots of info and experiences on the web.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 10:20   #23

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Yeah, after those mirror finish hand rail pics I'm suddenly liking Minaret less too. Until he posts more of those pics, that is.

Fwiw, things started going easier for me when I accepted the fact that whatever you put on will be coming off at some point. Whether it's the sun, salt, somebody dingin' it, or deliberately removing it with a scraper, sandpaper, or heat gun because it's beyond the point of no return. Might be best to think of it as a never-ending cycle.

So I started out with a two-part urethane, thinking I'd improve on the cycle. It went on beautifully, lasted quite awhile, but living far from the boat I failed to catch it in time when it started to go south. By the time I got to it, it all had to come off, and turned into nothing short of a multi-day bar brawl. So now I use Epifanes & only Epifanes. It's a traditional varnish, and with the proper amount of brush thinner (not always so easy to get right), it goes on beautifully and lasts awhile. Usually six months depending on the season, with maybe one relatively quick patch job in b'twn. But MOST importantly (for me), it's easy to sand or scrape OFF! Because remember, it all manages to come off anyway (except for the stuff you spill on surrounding gelcoat -- THAT's permanent!).

As for leaving it natural and doing nothing, I would only worry about that option on my toerails, and only then because the thru-bolts for the hull deck joint pass through. I worry that, if left alone, the bare teak will wear to the point that the teak plugs will pop off, followed by potential water ingress. So obviously the Stihl chainsaw is not an option either, although there have been times when I've thought about it! If/when I'm living aboard or at least closer to the boat, I might try Minaret's Awlgrip system. Heard good things . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 10:30   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

natural and nothing makes indoor raining in furycames. trust me i KNOW this one. remember patricia....yes that one was for me... lol what a ride..... but how wet was my boat. and so i am reinforced inmy method of spending 10 hours annually--it used to be 6, but myhands got worse-- to wash with sea water my 130+ miles of teakness on my garden variety ketch, and slather oil onto it to seal it from incoming fresh water, which will rot it nicely.
donot oil decks, just sea water em. daily.

YES. minaret CHEATS. but only in the most awesomely beautiful ways... damn i wanna kidnap him to do my boat.... remaking and restoring.
but i kinda dont want to loook THAT good......is safer a lil rough.

good thing drool is salty water......wont rot my boat any worse than it is by perusing minarets pretties
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 11:01   #25

Boat: O'Day 28

Minaret is a RESIN HEAD!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 18:34   #26

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
YES. minaret CHEATS. but only in the most awesomely beautiful ways... damn i wanna kidnap him to do my boat.... remaking and restoring.]
Run... Mineret.....RUN!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 20:18   #27

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Well; I finally have figured out what to do and how to treat the teak wood.
Below; the bright work gets varnish which is easier to clean, lasts long and looks wonderful.
The visible teak from the cockpit, also gets exterior varnish or polyurethane, but treated differently. Here goes:
If starting with gray, bare teak, use a 3M pad, wet the teak and with some dish soap, scrub the gray off, rinse and let dry. Then with a scraper, take off the old grooves to make the grain even and sand smooth as usually done.
Now, since teak is an oily wood and needs oil to keep it's water resistance and it's honey color, soak the wood with any light oily, penetrating liquid. Yes, teak oil, kerosene, etc., then a day or so after, put on the regular coats of varnish. This pre-oiling nutrifies the wood and makes the work last and it looks wonderful.
For the toe rails and other wood around the hull; scrape & sand and then......use oil based exterior enamel, of course, trying to match the honey color of finished teak.
You can make up the desired color by mixing white, brown and some other color.
Good paint stores can make this happen. Lasts 4 years and looks fine from the dock.
Sweet shortcut and looks better than the stark white Awlgrip or the chain saw remedies
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 21:43   #28
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why would you think Awlgrip only comes in one color? You can get any color you like, and it lasts much longer than enamel. Looks much nicer too. I don't think painting brown is necessarily the way to go, you have to be adventurous and mix it up for eye popping results. I painted my cap rails Seattle Gray (custom Awlgrip color) to offset my Whisper Gray nonskid and Claret quarter deck stripe. I think this looks much nicer than brown. If I was going to go for faux wood effect, I would do so old school with several colors of Awlcraft and a turkey feather to paint on the wood grain (have done much sponge wash, rag rolling, dragging, stippling, porphry, faux wood, even faux marble), followed by clear coat (Awlbrite) and a polish. This would give the worlds most expensive, longest lasting, nicest looking faux teak finish. Sure would require patience and $ though!

PS: for me the secret to eye popping trim color combos is taking some shots of the boat from different angles and then photoshopping the images into different colors. This allows you to make color combo suggestions to a client along with printed sample images. Takes a lot of the gamble out of it. It's sad when you do a 20k paint job and the client doesn't love the colors they picked full size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd big one 020.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	115335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second Restoration File 194.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	115336  

Old 19-12-2015, 21:57   #29
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Minaret is a RESIN HEAD!

Yes, it's my only excuse...

Old 19-12-2015, 22:01   #30

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Yeah, after those mirror finish hand rail pics I'm suddenly liking Minaret less too. Until he posts more of those pics, that is.

Fwiw, things started going easier for me when I accepted the fact that whatever you put on will be coming off at some point. Whether it's the sun, salt, somebody dingin' it, or deliberately removing it with a scraper, sandpaper, or heat gun because it's beyond the point of no return. Might be best to think of it as a never-ending cycle.

So I started out with a two-part urethane, thinking I'd improve on the cycle. It went on beautifully, lasted quite awhile, but living far from the boat I failed to catch it in time when it started to go south. By the time I got to it, it all had to come off, and turned into nothing short of a multi-day bar brawl. So now I use Epifanes & only Epifanes. It's a traditional varnish, and with the proper amount of brush thinner (not always so easy to get right), it goes on beautifully and lasts awhile. Usually six months depending on the season, with maybe one relatively quick patch job in b'twn. But MOST importantly (for me), it's easy to sand or scrape OFF! Because remember, it all manages to come off anyway (except for the stuff you spill on surrounding gelcoat -- THAT's permanent!).

As for leaving it natural and doing nothing, I would only worry about that option on my toerails, and only then because the thru-bolts for the hull deck joint pass through. I worry that, if left alone, the bare teak will wear to the point that the teak plugs will pop off, followed by potential water ingress. So obviously the Stihl chainsaw is not an option either, although there have been times when I've thought about it! If/when I'm living aboard or at least closer to the boat, I might try Minaret's Awlgrip system. Heard good things . . . .
Right on about Epifanes...but try using Epifanes Easy Flow instead of thinner or turps, it lays out so nicely and leaves a much richer, fuller looking finish.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak