Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-12-2015, 12:45   #61

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: TEAK Love/hate relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
When the time comes, just fly me out with a duffle bag of grinders for a few weeks, and I'll take care of ya.
HA-HA! You must be a challenge for TSA at the airport. Not just your duffle bag, but what must be left over in your pockets!

Old 24-12-2015, 02:06   #62

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
12mm throughout. They are all glued apart from the toe protectors around some of the deck hardware, which are screwed and plugged. The originals were glued (apart from toe protectors as now), but had also been batten screwed down while fitting, as was a practise when she was built. This had left thousands of holes in the deck, most of which had remained watertight, but some not. I spent a very hot month, 6 days a week, 8 to 10 hours a day doing the survey of that deck. Every hole, every inch of skin.
Super job. Well done.

How did you fix the deck holes?

I don't think they do it that way any more. I saw a deck being installed using lots of weights instead. Controlling adhesive thickness perfectly can't be easy, especially with warm runny adhesive. How did they do it?

Old 24-12-2015, 05:23   #63

I find a Minwax product called helmsman spar varnish is cheap, easy to apply and long lasting. Check out comments made about this product in the recent Practical Sailor magazine. Grab it off almost any hardware shelf. I get a full year here in Charleston at which point a quick light hand sand/scuff and slap on another coat... good to go for another year...
Old 24-12-2015, 05:31   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
When the time comes, just fly me out with a duffle bag of grinders for a few weeks, and I'll take care of ya.
I intend to quietly file this information away...
I'll probably be starting negotiations at 6 months, I think I can settle for 2 weeks...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 06:03   #65

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Super job. Well done.

How did you fix the deck holes?

I don't think they do it that way any more. I saw a deck being installed using lots of weights instead. Controlling adhesive thickness perfectly can't be easy, especially with warm runny adhesive. How did they do it?
Thanks!

As to the re laying of the deck, they used weights, I understand. Yes, but I was working on another boat over in the US when the deck was being laid… and later in Scotland. I did the prep work and rectifications prior, plus refit work after, when I came back 6 months later.

I have had a beast of a day today, trying to chill this Xmas eve… but will post photos of the deck survey and rectifications later, in a day or two.

Meanwhile: Merry Christmas All!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 07:46   #66
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Thanks!

As to the re laying of the deck, they used weights, I understand. Yes, but I was working on another boat over in the US when the deck was being laid… and later in Scotland. I did the prep work and rectifications prior, plus refit work after, when I came back 6 months later.

I have had a beast of a day today, trying to chill this Xmas eve… but will post photos of the deck survey and rectifications later, in a day or two.

Meanwhile: Merry Christmas All!

Weights!? That's just not how it's done, very hard to do a sprung deck (as opposed to laid) with perfect seam gaps and layout that way. A more common method would be this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ResizedImage320182-04teak.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	115544   Click image for larger version

Name:	ResizedImage400170-10teak.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	115545  

Name:	ResizedImage400267-11teak.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	115546  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 07:53   #67
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

However, that does lead to thousands of penetrations in the top skin. They are immediately epoxied over, but nevertheless I don't love that method as a result. So I will go ahead and spill the beans and show you how the pro's do it; in short, vertical toggle clamps.

http://www.amazon.com/Toggle-Clamps/...F8&node=553170

But instead of fastening the base of the toggle clamp in place, I hot glue it to the glass deck. So, with about a hundred vertical toggle clamps and an industrial hot glue gun, you can clamp teak planks to the deck all day long with zero penetrations. If you use spacers as well you can lay deck very very fast like this, using Fast WEST. A few horizontal toggle clamps really helps too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71871mhShmL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	115548  

Old 24-12-2015, 07:54   #68

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Weights!? That's just not how it's done, very hard to do a sprung deck (as opposed to laid) with perfect seam gaps and layout that way. A more common method would be this:
Well it's true that the original deck was screw battened down like that. Was why I had so much trouble repairing/prepping before relay. There is a language barrier here… but I had thought weights were mentioned. I will have to ask Nai and get back to you…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 08:34   #69

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: TEAK Love/hate relationship

I have done a cubic ton of really crappy work in my day. Here's one of my (secret) favorite tools. A person can get into a lot of trouble with this very inexpensive yet lethal tool. On the plus side, I work much cheaper than Minaret, and will fly coach.

Harbor Freight ... $14.99!!!! How can they do it?
Old 24-12-2015, 08:40   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I have done a cubic ton of really crappy work in my day. Here's one of my (secret) favorite tools. A person can get into a lot of trouble with this very inexpensive yet lethal tool. On the plus side, I work much cheaper than Minaret, and will fly coach.

Boy howdy is it secret...

$14.99 is a steal though!

Old 24-12-2015, 08:41   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Boy howdy is it secret...

$14.99 is a steal though!
OK... wait a minute....

That picture was MISSING a second ago!

Old 24-12-2015, 09:11   #72
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

You really think they'll let me in first class?! The duffle bag of grinders is a carry on! Sometimes I don't even pull my Tyvek between jobs. True story-last time I came back on flight from a remote job, I was three puddle jumper transfers in when I hit Denver and an actual airplane home. This meant I had just left an epic job site and then spent some hours sitting in the desert waiting for flights-I was truly nasty by the time I hit Denver, covered in glass dust, resin, catalyst, and sweat. Exhausted, I jumped at the opportunity for an upgrade for $50, which they extended after making me wait extra hours in the desert. On being seated in first class, I immediately passed out and slept until reaching Seattle. When I awoke, I quickly realized that the other denizens of first class had poured a bottle of perfume over me to mask my funk. Last time I fly first class! Would have loved to be privy to that conversation. Bet I snored too...

Old 24-12-2015, 09:31   #73

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: TEAK Love/hate relationship

That's going to be a tough story to top.

Tags
teak

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: