Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2015, 04:55   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: TEAK Love/hate relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I almost tried Cetol 'til I noticed it's made by Sickens, which is how that orange colour (a nod to Brit-ish readers) makes me feel.
Crabs nod? I have to be paying attention just to see 'm blink...
I know what ya mean about the orange... The Starbrite I recommended comes in 2 colors,one being that lovely orange color, and really induces a nauseating feel on first application.... Luckily it seems to blend and even out quickly... I prefer the Natural over Classic product...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Gorgeous! Looks like a good excuse to sail to Thailand.

What's the thickness of the planks? Are they glued down, or did you use screws as on the original? Do they have CNC machines down there to cut the planks?
I have friends here with a sister ship 48PS they had done in Phuket... Could not be more elated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Blasphemy I know, but there is a certain moderator who painted his/her teak PINK!

PINK! Like the singer .
Do you want me to edit or delete this in case SC strolls by???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
I have the same top. I am trying just a couple coats of CPES. I may put a coat of Cetol later. That is a completely new top on this hatch. Love / hate? I like the way teak looks and feels but when not taken care of ......
WOW!
That new coating COMPLETELY changed the look of the hatch!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 05:15   #47

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Minarett has dropped the clue. It's really not the finish you choose as that can vary with the local climate. Here in the PNW I use modern Cetol, applied after wet sanding. I mean wet, as in irrigate with a hose as you go. It's quick and effective. Do not remove finish that is not damaged. It's doing it's job. Do not delay excessively and let things go too far before you get to work. It's really not that hard.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 07:02   #48

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Gorgeous! Looks like a good excuse to sail to Thailand.

What's the thickness of the planks? Are they glued down, or did you use screws as on the original? Do they have CNC machines down there to cut the planks?

12mm throughout. They are all glued apart from the toe protectors around some of the deck hardware, which are screwed and plugged. The originals were glued (apart from toe protectors as now), but had also been batten screwed down while fitting, as was a practise when she was built. This had left thousands of holes in the deck, most of which had remained watertight, but some not. I spent a very hot month, 6 days a week, 8 to 10 hours a day doing the survey of that deck. Every hole, every inch of skin..

Note the thickness of the lazarette lid as well, by the way. Gives an indication of deck thickness, as is relevant on the Oyster thread…

As to CNC machines… I doubt it. However the team were among the most skilled joiners I have seen. Superb work throughout and astonishingly cheap. The foremen were paid 41 dollars a day. A very good wage over here. The less skilled, but still excellent, 20.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1082.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	115412  
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 15:36   #49

Boat: Nordhavn 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
12mm throughout. They are all glued apart from the toe protectors around some of the deck hardware, which are screwed and plugged. The originals were glued (apart from toe protectors as now), but had also been batten screwed down while fitting, as was a practise when she was built. This had left thousands of holes in the deck, most of which had remained watertight, but some not. I spent a very hot month, 6 days a week, 8 to 10 hours a day doing the survey of that deck. Every hole, every inch of skin..

Note the thickness of the lazarette lid as well, by the way. Gives an indication of deck thickness, as is relevant on the Oyster thread…

As to CNC machines… I doubt it. However the team were among the most skilled joiners I have seen. Superb work throughout and astonishingly cheap. The foremen were paid 41 dollars a day. A very good wage over here. The less skilled, but still excellent, 20.

Would you mind sharing the name of the yard / company that did the work for you and the total cost of the deck replacement? My Oyster will need the same treatment in the not too distant future...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 18:03   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreed View Post
Would you mind sharing the name of the yard / company that did the work for you and the total cost of the deck replacement? My Oyster will need the same treatment in the not too distant future...

Hi Thoreed,

I am very happy to recommend the superb services of Nai and Toe and her excellent team at Inter Woodwork Phuket, based at the Boat Lagoon Phuket. While I'm at it I can strongly recommend the services of Ton Stainless and Cirrus Refrigeration. Ton in particular does truly excellent work for astonishingly low prices by international standards.

The complete deck replacement, excluding cockpit which was still ok, was equivalent of 19,000 USD. This includes removal of old decks, fairing, removal and replacement of all deck hardware etc. I carried out a lot of the latter myself just to check and replace any bolts etc as required, but Nai will have her guys do the same, included in the price, if you prefer. I am very glad I nursed my decks, some parts of which were veneer thin, through an extra 7 years to get to this yard before replacement. I cannot recommend Nai, Toe, and their team highly enough, for any woodwork whatever, and her exceptional project management skills. I personally know 7 other vessels who have been redecked by Nai and all have the same thing to say. One of these was done well over a decade ago.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 22-12-2015, 18:18   #51

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Hi Thoreed,

I am very happy to recommend the superb services of Nai and Toe and her excellent team at Inter Woodwork Phuket, based at the Boat Lagoon Phuket. While I'm at it I can strongly recommend the services of Ton Stainless and Cirrus Refrigeration. Ton in particular does truly excellent work for astonishingly low prices by international standards.

The complete deck replacement, excluding cockpit, which was still ok, was equivalent of 19,000 USD. I am very glad I nursed my decks, some parts of which were veneer thin, through an extra 7 years to get to this yard before replacement. I cannot recommend Nai, Toe, and their team highly enough, for any woodwork whatever, and her exceptional project management skills. I personally know 7 other vessels who have been redecked by Nai and all have the same thing to say. One of these was done well over a decade ago.
Makes me curious how this might compare cost-wise to getting it done here in the US. An uninformed guesstimate might be 3x-plus. As I recall Teak Decking Systems advertises a partial DIY program where they take measurements & supply the product already cut for self-installation, but it's been awhile since I looked into it. Then there's the quality of the product, obviously . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 18:45   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Makes me curious how this might compare cost-wise to getting it done here in the US. An uninformed guesstimate might be 3x-plus. As I recall Teak Decking Systems advertises a partial DIY program where they take measurements & supply the product already cut for self-installation, but it's been awhile since I looked into it. Then there's the quality of the product, obviously . . . .
Not sure about the US, but I had Osmotech in the UK look at the same job 7 years ago and they quoted me 45,000 GBP, around 67,000 USD. I reckon it would now be around 80,000 USD to do it there now, perhaps more. I noted similar costs in various other parts of the "developed" world. One other thing: I find "quotes" in the "first" world tend to be lowish guestimates, and other expenses creep in from various directions. In my experience, when Nai quotes for a job, that is the price of the job. As regards quality, Inter Woodwork is second to none.
Old 22-12-2015, 19:22   #53
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Last teak deck job I was involved in was a Symbol 54; 84k completed. Obviously a lot more deck than any sailboat though.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 19:29   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ray, really nothing new.

Ladies & Gentlemen,

The "natural" progression of "dealing with exterior teak" usually runs like this:

--- teak oil

or

--- Nothing

--- varnish

--- cetol

--- nothing

---teak oil or Semco

--- nothing

--- varnish

--- cetol

Repeat as necessary...

Nothing much has changed in the last 25 years about this subject...
you know it sir
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 19:30   #55

beware of junk called "honey Teak!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Crabs nod? I have to be paying attention just to see 'm blink...
I know what ya mean about the orange... The Starbrite I recommended comes in 2 colors,one being that lovely orange color, and really induces a nauseating feel on first application.... Luckily it seems to blend and even out quickly... I prefer the Natural over Classic product...

I have friends here with a sister ship 48PS they had done in Phuket... Could not be more elated...

Do you want me to edit or delete this in case SC strolls by???

WOW!
That new coating COMPLETELY changed the look of the hatch!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 20:55   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Last teak deck job I was involved in was a Symbol 54; 84k completed. Obviously a lot more deck than any sailboat though.
Minaret -- Have you ever installed teak decking over original gelcoated decks? Was wondering if this would add or detract significantly from replacing existing teak decks like Muckle did, although it sounds like he saved a lot of $$ removing the old decking and doing his own prep work. Curious if there's a lot of other prep work involved gluing teak decking over gel that I'm not aware of.
Old 23-12-2015, 01:24   #57

Boat: Nordhavn 72

Quote:
Hi Thoreed,

The complete deck replacement, excluding cockpit which was still ok, was equivalent of 19,000 USD. This includes removal of old decks, fairing, removal and replacement of all deck hardware etc. I carried out a lot of the latter myself just to check and replace any bolts etc as required, but Nai will have her guys do the same, included in the price, if you prefer. I am very glad I nursed my decks, some parts of which were veneer thin, through an extra 7 years to get to this yard before replacement. I cannot recommend Nai, Toe, and their team highly enough, for any woodwork whatever, and her exceptional project management skills. I personally know 7 other vessels who have been redecked by Nai and all have the same thing to say. One of these was done well over a decade ago.

Thanks - much appreciated.

MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 07:56   #58
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Minaret -- Have you ever installed teak decking over original gelcoated decks? Was wondering if this would add or detract significantly from replacing existing teak decks like Muckle did, although it sounds like he saved a lot of $$ removing the old decking and doing his own prep work. Curious if there's a lot of other prep work involved gluing teak decking over gel that I'm not aware of.

No-though I've done the opposite a number of times, ie removing teak decks and glassing and painting instead of laying new teak. Never ever had a client with skid decks want to go to teak, have had many that really wanted to get rid of their teak. Wouldn't be too hard on most boats, though. You'd just have to grind off the skid first. This is only a huge job if it has molded skid, which is IMHO the only deck worse than teak to maintain.

Old 23-12-2015, 10:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
No-though I've done the opposite a number of times, ie removing teak decks and glassing and painting instead of laying new teak. Never ever had a client with skid decks want to go to teak, have had many that really wanted to get rid of their teak. Wouldn't be too hard on most boats, though. You'd just have to grind off the skid first. This is only a huge job if it has molded skid, which is IMHO the only deck worse than teak to maintain.
Hmmmm . . . something tells me there's yet another 'Min-Lesson' in here for me. And of course my boat would have the original factory molded skid -- where's that Mr. Murphy marine thread?

Actually, your many lessons are directly responsible for me doing a fair job of keeping my existing gelcoat decks going after almost 30 years. Not pro work, but not too bad for DIY, after some significant early screw-ups that is. Overall I'd say an improvement, but it's funny at first how quickly your pot of new gel grows when you're trying to color match! Of course, as you said, I have little faith in my ability to deal with problems in the molded nonskid, so will probably be at a decision point in another year or two. And unless I can manage to tie up near Muckle in Thailand, that decision will realistically be Awlgrip I would think. But don't wanna start thinking about that job just yet . . . .
Old 23-12-2015, 11:19   #60
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hmmmm . . . something tells me there's yet another 'Min-Lesson' in here for me. And of course my boat would have the original factory molded skid -- where's that Mr. Murphy marine thread?

Actually, your many lessons are directly responsible for me doing a fair job of keeping my existing gelcoat decks going after almost 30 years. Not pro work, but not too bad for DIY, after some significant early screw-ups that is. Overall I'd say an improvement, but it's funny at first how quickly your pot of new gel grows when you're trying to color match! Of course, as you said, I have little faith in my ability to deal with problems in the molded nonskid, so will probably be at a decision point in another year or two. And unless I can manage to tie up near Muckle in Thailand, that decision will realistically be Awlgrip I would think. But don't wanna start thinking about that job just yet . . . .

When the time comes, just fly me out with a duffle bag of grinders for a few weeks, and I'll take care of ya.

Tags
teak