Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 15:42   #91
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Tax Advantaged Benefits For Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Reading comprehension is fundamental. You seem to have missed a few things.

The OP is female. She's the one who used the term "emotive". I used the term judgmental, about myself. Several of the posts in the thread are about setting up a fake charter business with the express purpose of claiming a tax loss.

I'm not doubting the intentions of the OP. She seems like a nice person, and has been fairly straightforward in her questions.
Thanks Belizesailor for the quick sex change. It was fast and painless. Just kidding. I've had to learn not to worry about misconceptions too much. Being a women in what is still a male dominated field has been a surprise to some. :-)

WindwardPrinces. Thanks for saying I seem like a nice person. I try to be. We all have our foibles and faults but I do try to be nice. Attack someone else and I will come out fighting in defence of others. That brings out the worst in me but again I try to play and be nice. You all are nice as well. Thank you.

Regards,
Chaya
__________________

__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 16:10   #92
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Tax Advantaged Benefits For Sailors

So what's up with the 2 CF accounts. I thought we weren't suppose to do that. Moreover, what's up with the 90 degree avatar...just curious.
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 16:23   #93
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Tax Advantaged Benefits For Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So what's up with the 2 CF accounts. I thought we weren't suppose to do that. Moreover, what's up with the 90 degree avatar...just curious.
I don't know how the two accounts happened. Was not by design. Would love for them to be merged. I was given a tip the other day that I need to crop my pic smaller and then the pic won't flip on its side. I will try to do it tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 18:08   #94
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,962
Re: Tax Advantaged Benefits For Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Reading comprehension is fundamental. You seem to have missed a few things.

The OP is female. She's the one who used the term "emotive". I used the term judgmental, about myself. Several of the posts in the thread are about setting up a fake charter business with the express purpose of claiming a tax loss.

I'm not doubting the intentions of the OP. She seems like a nice person, and has been fairly straightforward in her questions.
Sorry, misinterpreted your post.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 18:11   #95
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,962
Re: Tax Advantaged Benefits For Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Thanks Belizesailor for the quick sex change. It was fast and painless. Just kidding. I've had to learn not to worry about misconceptions too much. Being a women in what is still a male dominated field has been a surprise to some. :-)

...
No problem, no extra charge!

I don't generally pay attention to gender here...not particularly relevant to sailing and even less so to financial/tax matters, and avatars are hard to see on the mobile app.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 18:15   #96
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 278
Re: Tax Advantaged Benefits For Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Sorry, misinterpreted your post.

No worries. Fair winds.
__________________
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 18:49   #97
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 12
Re: Tax Advantaged Benefits For Sailors

I plan to retire to a 45-50 Cat this October. My thought is to keep it all contributory crew, and avoid paying for paid crew. Take a look at Crewbay , I have engaged crew that way with great success. Sailing is cheap unless you make it expensive. I won't be paying any taxes after I retire though. I will charter as a last resort. If you have fewer then six paying passengers you only need Captain with OUPV license (s) you need two if overnight

You are trying to shelter income it creates?
__________________
Viedeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 19:29   #98
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Tax Advantaged Benefits For Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
No problem, no extra charge!

I don't generally pay attention to gender here...not particularly relevant to sailing and even less so to financial/tax matters, and avatars are hard to see on the mobile app.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 19:32   #99
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Tax Advantaged Benefits For Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viedeau View Post
I plan to retire to a 45-50 Cat this October. My thought is to keep it all contributory crew, and avoid paying for paid crew. Take a look at Crewbay , I have engaged crew that way with great success. Sailing is cheap unless you make it expensive. I won't be paying any taxes after I retire though. I will charter as a last resort. If you have fewer then six paying passengers you only need Captain with OUPV license (s) you need two if overnight

You are trying to shelter income it creates?
I can see where your coming from and am sure you will be happy. As they say different horses for different courses. I'm leaning more to keeping my privacy. You must be very excited about your approaching new life on a cat. Congratulations and happy sailing.

Regards,
Chaya
__________________

__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greece Reciprocal Tax for non-EU boats (not the cruising tax) Zoid Europe & Mediterranean 20 14-02-2015 06:11
Confusion About 'Use Tax' and 'Sales Tax' thelasthour Dollars & Cents 31 28-02-2012 16:16
'Tax Free' or 'Tax Hassle'? MartinW Dollars & Cents 0 11-01-2012 13:12
Sales Tax and Use Tax - What the...? jpemb7 Dollars & Cents 7 18-01-2010 22:04
Benefits of eating Fish... GordMay Provisioning: Food & Drink 6 05-12-2004 13:26



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.