Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2018, 18:31   #1

Tattoo issues

I am possibly looking for a traveling job but have visible tattoos. They aren't anything of bad taste. I am a hard worker and would like a chance. Any ideas where to start? Any info is very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Lostlove2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 18:55   #2

Re: Tattoo issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlove2881 View Post
I am possibly looking for a traveling job but have visible tattoos. They aren't anything of bad taste. I am a hard worker and would like a chance. Any ideas where to start? Any info is very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
It's a bit of a tough one, and I am not sure exactly what you mean by a "traveling job." If you are looking for a job where you have regular contact with high paying customers/clients that gets doubly hard. I have worked in a number of customer service businesses that absolutely refused to hire anyone with any visible tattoos.

My suggestions: If possible do your initial contact over the phone. That's a first impression, and first impressions DO matter.

Dress exactly some someone who would NEVER have a tattoo, if that makes sense. What might have one been called "preppy" might be a good style to help people not see other things...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 19:08   #3

As in traveling job I am talking about being able to work at sea. Even in the bottom of the boat. I have tattoos on my neck that are hard to cover. I can't afford to have them removed at the moment.
Old 23-09-2018, 19:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I see an awful lot of tattoos in the boating world. Might make it harder to get a job as head steward on a megayacht but most any other position?

Maybe something else is holding you back. Do you have any boating experience? Diesel mechanic skills? Sea time? License or training?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 19:40   #5

Boat: Currently in between

I've never seen a tattoo removed that looked anywhere near right. I would say don't do it, I don't think you would be happy with the results.

It wouldn't solve your problem but if any are even slightly off color you may want to consider a coverup instead and then just deal with it.

Consider starting on a smaller boat where you, for the most part, only deal with the owners and other crew, not any kind of paying public. If they are accepting of your ink after the interview then you are in!

How much money do you need? You may initially hook up with a couple or a family on a boat and work with them to build experience but expect minimal to no pay. Once you have some experience you will look better on paper and may help you over the ink hurdle.
Old 23-09-2018, 19:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I kept a boat in the Virgin Islands for a couple of years where there's a lot of charters and boat business going on and based on my observation of the scene here's my take on getting started in the boat world.

I saw that a lot of the people that were involved in the business were transient, many unreliable, heavy drinkers or otherwise not the best employees. If you really want to break into that business go where the boats are, do whatever you can to get a foot in the door and stick with it. Be reliable and available. Learn anything and everything about boats. Be prepared to take on some positions that only pay expenses until you get some experience. Learn stuff that is useful and in demand on boats. Good mechanics are always in demand. Learn how to varnish, marine plumbing, electrical. Make yourself valuable and work hard and I guarantee a couple of tatts will not hold you back.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 20:00   #7

Are boats involved?
GaryBode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 20:03   #8

I have no experience on boats. I'm not looking to make big buck to start out. Just something small to start out.
Old 23-09-2018, 20:40   #9

I'm confused about your post. This is a forum for boats and cruising and you are asking about tattoos? Like the ones you get on your skin or is this a new boating term?
Old 23-09-2018, 21:24   #10

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBode View Post
I'm confused about your post. This is a forum for boats and cruising and you are asking about tattoos? Like the ones you get on your skin or is this a new boating term?
Quote:
As in traveling job I am talking about being able to work at sea. Even in the bottom of the boat. I have tattoos on my neck that are hard to cover. I can't afford to have them removed at the moment.
Gary, perhaps this earlier post may enlighten!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 22:02   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Tattoos are so common these days, I think a friendly personality, good work ethic and eagerness to learn will be far more important to most employers.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 22:36   #12

Ah, now I see the lineage.
Old 23-09-2018, 23:35   #13

Quote:
You have tattoos all over your neck?

Not quite sure about what your employment desires are, yet I can tell you this. Take Japan off your list. It has to do with the Japanese mafia. I'll leave it there. Unlike crazy America, Japan has strict rules on crime, immigration, and inked-on body art. Those glorious male "YT Stars" from Seattle will NEVER be allowed into a Japanese onsen (hot springs).

True story (hahaha ... see attached photos).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No-Tattoos-Sign.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	177861   Click image for larger version

Name:	no-tattoos-in-Japan-budgettrouble.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	177862  

PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 00:34   #14

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Tattoo issues

On the other hand, the tatts won’t stop you getting work in Hong Kong where many gals and guys flaunt their tatts.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 00:53   #15

Boat: Volkscruiser

Most of my back is one big nautical tattoo. But it is easily covered with a shirt and really who cares if a marine surveyor has tatts? Here in Oz plenty of people have Tatts in the marine industry. As long as they are not offensive and you do not look like a thug then getting work should not be to hard........ I think the whole image of tattoos has watered down some what since so many ladies now have a tramp stamp on their back.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote