Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 22:09   #31

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day! Arrrrggh!

I am in the camp of folks that don't fly a jolly rodger. Not really interested in playing pirate games with wooden swords. I never stopped my kids though.

I spent a few years in places where kidnapping and piracy were common. Had some of my guys taken.

It's a little hard to see the humor in the eye patch and arg.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 22-09-2015, 00:28   #32
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

How does a modern pirate speak anyway? In Somali? Not as much fun...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 02:23   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Jim, lighten up.

I watched three thousand of my friends and neighbors get murdered by a bunch of guys from Saudi Arabia while I watched with my own eyes from the roof of a friend's apartment less than ten blocks away.

Fourteen years later I have to walk past armed National Gaurdsmen every day when I go to work as a reminder and the Coasties in our harbor all have machine guns mounted all the time just in case I go sailing and happen to forget my troubles.

Sorry about your friend who got cut up. Some of my friends died jumping out of hundred-story windows so they didn't have to burn to death.

Get over it. Seriously. You'll live longer.
So, Delancy, do you subscribe to the "lets talk like a terrorist" day?? It's all in good fun, mate, so lighten up and lets all have a good laugh about people who drive airplanes into skyscrapers.

I guess you could say I'm over it... I don't mourn Malcolm any more, but I have little tolerance for folks who romanticize piracy. I doubt if you tolerate Islamic (or other) terrorists.

Jim
Old 22-09-2015, 03:45   #34

Jim, again sorry about your friend.

I know you hate New Yorkers (though you never explained why) and so don't expect you to understand, but take it from someone who chooses to live in the most racially, religiously, ethnically, sexually, philosophically, politically, and financially diverse city in our country that I am a pretty tolerant guy.

I don't hate people because they are terrorists, from Saud Arabia, or believe in Islam.

What I hate are solipsistic people who take it upon themselves to tell other people what to think or do.

Frankly, the last thing I would ever do is take it upon myself to rain on someone else's obviously good natured attempt to have fun with an anachronistic archetype such as old timey pirates who say arrrrrgh! because I am able to recognize it as a harmless distraction which others may enjoy.

P.S. Dirka Dirka! (Terrorist speak from the movie Team America. I actually have a couple friends with whom I talk like a terrorist fairly frequently for what that's worth. We usually say "habda habda" though and have a little chant that goes with it. It's fun.)
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 08:28   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmmm.. I see there is still interest in the topic.

When I was a kid, I enjoyed watching Disney films at the movie theatre. One that is related to pirates is:

Blackbeard's Ghost (1968)

This funny movie from the 1960s features Peter Ustinov (as a comedic Black Beard), Dean Jones (the straight man in this comedy), Suzanne Pleshette, and other Disney regulars.

It is a good hearted, fun, funny, film.

Unfortunately, due to copyright protection by Disney, there are no good copies of it on Youtube, and all I could find today is a darkened version on Youtube. It is the full length, but has been darkened greatly to post it there.

From a movie review:
"Award-winning actor Peter Ustinov stars in this hilarious fantasy as the ghost of the legendary pirate Blackbeard. The once blackhearted scoundrel materializes in a small New England town, cursed to wander in limbo until he performs a good deed. He gets his chance when he decides to help a local college track team ... that hasn't a ghost of a chance of winning! Blackbeard finds himself full of team spirit, and dispensing his own brand of invisible coaching ... in this warmhearted comedy that will have you laughing from his first fade-in to his final fade-out!"
A short clip from the film (in normal lighting and color) showing the dramatic first appearance of Blackbeard's character:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirates Blackbeards Ghost 1.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	109593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirates Blackbeards Ghost 2.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	109594  

Name:	Pirates Blackbeards Ghost 3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	109595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirates Blackbeards Ghost 5.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	109596  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 09:27   #36

I heared the joke about 40 years ago from a guy I was working with, had no idea it was in a mag.
jerrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 09:28   #37

Blimey, I missed it!

Guess I'll have to rewatch Treasure Island to redeem myself from bilge rat status....

NorthernSeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 17:41   #38

Quote:
Jim, again sorry about your friend.

I know you hate New Yorkers (though you never explained why) and so don't expect you to understand, but take it from someone who chooses to live in the most racially, religiously, ethnically, sexually, philosophically, politically, and financially diverse city in our country that I am a pretty tolerant guy.

I don't hate people because they are terrorists, from Saud Arabia, or believe in Islam.

What I hate are solipsistic people who take it upon themselves to tell other people what to think or do.

Frankly, the last thing I would ever do is take it upon myself to rain on someone else's obviously good natured attempt to have fun with an anachronistic archetype such as old timey pirates who say arrrrrgh! because I am able to recognize it as a harmless distraction which others may enjoy.

P.S. Dirka Dirka! (Terrorist speak from the movie Team America. I actually have a couple friends with whom I talk like a terrorist fairly frequently for what that's worth. We usually say "habda habda" though and have a little chant that goes with it. It's fun.)
Not sure why you think I "hate New Yorkers"... I wouldn't like to live there myself, but hate the folks who do? Nahh, that's a stretch, mate.

And " Frankly, the last thing I would ever do is take it upon myself to rain on someone else's obviously good natured attempt to have fun with an anachronistic archetype such as old timey pirates who say arrrrrgh! because I am able to recognize it as a harmless distraction which others may enjoy." sounds a lot like folks who say that derogatory ethnic jokes are OK because they are a harmless distraction that some enjoy.

Now, it is ironic that today we have a new thread:
Pirate attack Phillipines ? - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

I suppose that will get shoved into the "terrorist, not old timey pirate" pile, and that makes everything swell for the pirate glamorizers. Tell that to the abductees...

So, I still think that the talk like a pirate thing is, if not offensive, at least contrary to the best wishes of folks out cruising in areas where "piracy" of various sorts is alive and well. You and all the others are welcome to your opinions. So far, I have not seen favorable responses from those somewhat at risk.

Now I will hop down from my soapbox and add my hopes for a good outcome in the Philippines.

Jim
Old 23-09-2015, 07:28   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not sure why you think I "hate New Yorkers"... I wouldn't like to live there myself, but hate the folks who do? Nahh, that's a stretch, mate.
Should be the quote used in Merriam Webster's for the word disingenuous since one of the things you "dislike about coming back from the South Pacific to California is that it brings me too damn close to NYC, and NYers."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	disingenuous.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	109703  
Old 23-09-2015, 07:53   #40

Maybe we could have a "Chillin' wid da Gangstas, biotch Day" as well. And make it ONE DAY ONLY, just like TLAPD is supposed to be.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 15:19   #41

Boat: MacGregor 26X

I am a US Army vet. I have friends who were injured by soldiers of other nations.
I do not hate all soldiers because of this though certain soldiers I do not like.
Real pirates suck, I despise them. Movie pirates I do find quite entertaining.
Also despite their history I do not hate vikings, neither the norsemen or the team. I could go on but I hope I made my point.
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 15:43   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I believe that the folk who respond on this forum are generally rational people - and that we generally have a low thresh hold of tolerance for the terrorist/pirate/criminal fraternity.
I have my opinions of how 'they' should be taken care of but its not politically correct to hold such views.
I also consider that when we have to moderate our humour it means that we are loosing the psychological edge we hold over these very same people. I also lost many comrades whilst serving in the military against terrorist factions but we cannot honour them by giving up our freedom to have a regular dose of fun.
Steady was just trying to inject some light relief....power to him; Im sure it was was meant to be a noble and light hearted gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRefugee View Post
I am a US Army vet. I have friends who were injured by soldiers of other nations.
I do not hate all soldiers because of this though certain soldiers I do not like.
Also despite their history I do not hate vikings, neither the norsemen or the team. I could go on but I hope I made my point.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 15:46   #43
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRefugee View Post

And I have seen several films of "Mutiny on the Bounty" but I don't hate all captains of sailing vessels.

I also enjoyed Jack London's "The Sea Wolf" and never thought all skippers were as brutal as Wolf Larsen of the SV Ghost.

I can appreciate the fictional characters (pirates, sea captains) and studying them or even liking them as characters or stories does not mean I condone their behavior or would act like them.

Same with the "Talk Like a Pirate Day" characters. Har!

By the way, I know some cruisers may have a pirate flag (Skull and Crossbones) aboard their boats, and that does not bother me either because I know they use them in jest or fun with their friends, not in anger or seriously. I have seen a few while in races and just chuckled seeing the other crew was in good spirits, sometimes with water balloons at hand.

In short, of course there are times for being serious, but there are also plenty of times to laugh and not be too serious.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 16:18   #44

Quote:
Should be the quote used in Merriam Webster's for the word disingenuous since one of the things you "dislike about coming back from the South Pacific to California is that it brings me too damn close to NYC, and NYers."
OK, that's a fair interpretation of that old post. But I don't really hate New Yorkers in general. I do get bored with some who persist in telling me how superior and important NYC is compared to other cities of the world.

Quote:
but take it from someone who chooses to live in the most racially, religiously, ethnically, sexually, philosophically, politically, and financially diverse city in our country
I believe that the post that you proudly quoted was in response to a post in a similar vein...

In fact, I don't hate you, Delancy. I may disagree with you at times, but that does not engender hatred. I sometimes disagree with Ann, but I surely don't hate her.

But the bottom line is that I don't like the glamorization of Piracy, either by Disney or the Talk like... guys. You don't have to agree with me, but that does not invalidate my opinion. And again, I note that several other posters who are cruising in areas where real life pirates are a worry seem to share my thoughts. When one is safe behind one's keyboard, the threat likely seems less important.

So, I think for me this discussion is about done. The pirate talk date is past, and I won't have to be unhappy about it for another year. Some folks in the Philippines will have all that year to worry about it.

Jim
Old 23-09-2015, 18:08   #45

Quote:
I believe that the post that you proudly quoted was in response to a post in a similar vein...
You are mistaken if you believe I took pride in you embarrassing yourself with your insincerity.

Quote:
When one is safe behind one's keyboard, the threat likely seems less important.
Pretty classy remark from a guy sitting behind his keyboard on his boat in Noumea to a guy sitting behind his keyboard on his boat less than a mile from Ground Zero.

I'll be sure to keep it under advisement when I walk past the guys with the machine guns and the bomb sniffing dogs on my way to work tomorrow.

One man's pirate is another man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter is another man's father is another is man's son.

The one thing they all have in common is that they all do what they do because they believe it is right and they believe they must and in this respect they are no different from us.

If you have traveled the world and still not figured this out then you have not traveled far enough and likely never will.