Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 10:38   #16

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
Re: Taking a Dog Into the Bahamas

sorry, i'm not buying the arguments presented here that suggest dogs like to stay aboard and not go for a potty break or frolic on the beach or on land. i still maintain it's the laziness of the owners (maybe w/ exception to the fellow w/ the 17 yr old dog) that keeps the animals locked into a 30 or 40 ft world. as someone who spent many yrs. raising/training/showing dogs, i never thought of taking my dogs on a cruise without a beach break 3-4 times/day. in my book, it's pure cruelty not to allow a good run to man'/woman's best friend....
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:12   #17

Boat: FP Athena 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
sorry, i'm not buying the arguments presented here that suggest dogs like to stay aboard and not go for a potty break or frolic on the beach or on land. i still maintain it's the laziness of the owners (maybe w/ exception to the fellow w/ the 17 yr old dog) that keeps the animals locked into a 30 or 40 ft world. as someone who spent many yrs. raising/training/showing dogs, i never thought of taking my dogs on a cruise without a beach break 3-4 times/day. in my book, it's pure cruelty not to allow a good run to man'/woman's best friend....

Good thing it does not matter to my dogs what you think.
The last place I want my dogs in on shore in the DR or the BVIs or most far Bahama Islands. The local dogs travel in packs and are usually not friendly to strange dogs. And not to mention the locals really do not like that you are bring your pampered pooch into there town just to leave behind little gift of poop. The towns have enough garbage to deal with. And most of these places do not treat dogs or animals anything like most American do. Dogs do not get to even live in there house or get feed on a regular basis.
Not to mention all the fleas and ticks that they will get while roaming for a place to pee.
And then there are always the times that my lazy ass is out at sea sailing for 7 days straight. I do not think my dogs would be up for the dinghy ride to shore then.
I have 3 happy dogs that live on my catamaran.
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15   #18

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by defever
You obviously don't know what you are talking about.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:38   #19

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Ditto the above, the one time I did not expedite it took 2 months. The entry permit is good for a year so if you are over and plan on coming again within a year go by the fisheries office and pick one up.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 17:01   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

As with anything, especially on this forum, there are a wide variety of experiences varying from one end to the other on any subject. Here with animals, dogs, cats, whatever, there are quite a few long term live-aboards who have dogs and cats and have taken the time to train them to do their business on board the boat. That is not an easy task (and can be somewhat smelly). But once it is done the animal is happy to remain on board doing what the pet does best which is love and be part of the family.
- - Other short term cruisers I have met that have dogs never took the time to train the animal to poop on the poop deck or have brought a middle age to old age land dog onto the boat and like they say "old dogs don't like to learn new tricks." So the owners have no choice but to take the dogs ashore. This gets to be real tricky in some Caribbean islands as they are not "dog friendly" and will get seriously upset if you get caught taking your dog ashore.
- - Then as mentioned by Catseye and others there are some seriously nasty parasites on these islands that can take down your animal. One of the worst is the Bot Fly which is probably one of the most disgusting parasites to borrow its way into your animal's skin. IMHO, there are just too many "nasties" waiting to get to your "gringo" pet so I don't take my animals ashore except for Vet visits and then they are in carriers the whole time.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 18:06   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I take our dog all the time when we sail to the Bahamas. I've never had any Bahamian official ever give two hoots about the dog. The dog loves the boat and is quite happy on long extended trips just staying aboard. We do take her ashore on the more desolated Islands but I avoid it on the more populated areas. My boat is the same as Cats Eye. There is plenty of area for the dog to get exercise, up and down the steps to either hull, running around the deck, in and out of the salon hatches, and her favorite sleeping spot on top of the frig lid. Taking her to the beach 3-4 times a day? Yeah right, like that's gonna happen. I really like the little bugger, but I never lose sight of who owns whom.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 18:19   #22

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Yes, Getting the documents can take time, We also make copies.

We take our dog to shore several times a day. She often spends 2-4 hours walking the beach. She goes to restaurants, Bars, junkanoo etc. In short, Everywhere. However ....It has become a burden lately with her heavy drinking problem as you can see from the picture (LOL)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy Drinking.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	31169  

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 18:28   #23

Boat: FP Athena 38
That is so funny. My little dog goes through the hatches and sleeps on the fridge too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110904_212739.png
Views:	133
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	31170  
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 18:38   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Here is a link to the YouTube video on BotFly on a dog.
**** Warning - It could be considered disgusting by some. So don't click on it unless your are willing to watch it. *****
"
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas