Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2012, 16:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Take some kids sailing

I had a friend that I had not seen in several years ask if he could go sailing with me Sat. I told him to bring his kids and he called me sat. mourning to tell me that everybody wanted to go(wife and kids)...I said that was great.He has two boys age 13 and 18 and has been married 21 years.We were out about 12 hrs and had a great time,the children were a pleasure to have aboard and never complained about anything other than not catching fish.When the sun was going down everyone was in a zone of pleasure.Brian and his wife were on the foredeck with their arms holding each other like two 18 year olds that had just discovered love,the boys were very quite and smiling from ear to ear while they watched the sun setting.I had forgotten what it felt like to be sailing and watching a beautiful sun set with people you love.I didnt realize that I was doing alot of smiling too.At the end of the day they kept telling me what a great time they had and they asked when they could go out again.I told Brian that he should get a boat for his family since they enjoyed it so much,the next day he called and asked me to find a boat for them...made me feel great that I could provide a good experiance for them with something that I take for granted...I have been out on others boats and it seem like they were wondering when I was going to wipe their butts for taking me out with them,so glad i didnt come off like that with Brian and his wonderful family...Want to make someone feel good ,take'um sailing...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 17:21   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Take some kids sailing

We have always enjoyed taking Folks sailing ! Really love it when it's Familys with children !! The Look on there faces when ya stop the engine and its just the sails moving you is Hard to describe, it just has to be seen !! Almost always makes me want to laugh!! Such a look of Ahh ! I guess I had it once to, but Im just to old to really remember it !! so sorta get a new kick out of it everytime !! If any of ya get the chance to give some folks a ride you will be suprised how much fun YOU will get out of it !! Just our 2 cents
Old 14-05-2012, 17:42   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

And when you first heel over and you yell, "Oh my god, we're all gonna die!" Yes, the looks on their faces. Terror until you start laughing.
Fun days,
Old 14-05-2012, 17:55   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Taking kids sailing IS awesome. We take our kids DATA class sailing (kids with autism), and its a blast for everyone. I also use my friend at the VA to help me set up guys only sailing days for homeless veterans. Totally amazing experience every time we do it. I think there may be a pic or two in my gallery.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 19:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
A couple of years ago I did my sons birthday party at the sailing club. At a time when parents were paying upwards of $1,000 for laser tag, paintball or some other distraction, my brother and I rigged up 6 access dinghys (joystick, 1 string) and got 18 kids (3 per boat) sailing in 45 minutes. The club charges nothing for dinghy use. Throw in 17 burgers/hot dogs (and one bowl of spaghetti) and I got out if the deal for about $100 bucks.

The kids talked about the party for weeks after. They especially enjoyed jumping off the docks at low tide...

They all enjoyed the sailing part but I remember one kid in particular. We almost had to drag him out of the boat. I invited him back but never hooked up. I hope someday he's a sailor and remembers where he got his start...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
And when you first heel over and you yell, "Oh my god, we're all gonna die!" Yes, the looks on their faces. Terror until you start laughing.
Fun days,
maybe sometimes that usefull "oh my go"
Old 05-08-2016, 05:55   #7

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I crewed on a friend's boat when he took his girlfriend's young son. The kid loved to steer. He couldn't see over the binnacle, but he would check those sails often and seemed to always make the proper correction to keep them full. I haven't talked to them in years, I hope that kid is still at it.

We have a 2 year old. He absolutely loves the water, loves our power boat. He's been on our little 15' bandit a few times and seemed to like it too, it's just not a very stable boat for him to walk about on right now. I'm always looking for the right deal on a bigger keel boat to start some short trips with him.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-08-2016, 05:56   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I think I will have to borrow some kids.
Out of the 4 of ours not one n the bunch thinks sailing is awesome.
14, 19, 21, 24....
We have failed as parents
Old 05-08-2016, 06:04   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
14, 19, 21, 24....
It might not be too late. Instead of sailing our daughter went to the dark side and got into power boats. Hubby has a sport fisherman.

But a couple years ago she called and told me they had rented a house in the BVI for a week but decided to stay a few days longer and chartered a 41' catamaran and would I come captain for them. There is still hope.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:19   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
14, 19, 21, 24....

Took My Grandchildren sailing a couple of weeks ago, 5 min into it the Granddaughter asked "Is this as fast as it goes" I said yes and she went down below with her brother to play with their Ipads, he on the other hand, never came on deck.
Sailing, camping I'm sure and lots of sports are dieing not because of the economy, but because people experience life through some kind of screen now.
You could have a small sailboat for what internet connectivity and cell phones cost.

The Pokemon Zombies have invaded my Marina now, they wander around at all hours in droves staring at their cell phones

On edit, our 17 yr old Daughter could care less, but out 21 yr old son loves it, he is much better at trimming sails than I am, I don't know how he does it, but he can always eek just a little more speed than I can. He would go with us, but I won't ruin his life like that
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:53   #11
Marine Service Provider

Has anyone taking kids on the Baja Haja?? we are taking our 15 year old grandson this year..and sometimes I wonder.....
NaturalPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:59   #12

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Great idea, T,
We have taken many of our friends with kids for a sail over the last 30 years. None of them ever asked to return except one young man that is, today, a "lifer" in the CG. Last month we invited some friends for a sail with an academically bright, 17-year-old daughter who declined to come since she wanted to go to the mall with her friends and afterwards play video games. Unfortunately, many young people today would prefer to experience life vicariously rather than directly. Perhaps the last vestige of young Americans who seek an active lifestyle are those interested in athletics . . . it seems, to me, the rest are happy with their phones, computers and social media. And the beat goes on . . .
Old 12-08-2016, 11:29   #13

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

My kids come sailing only for my birthday or father's day, to give me family time. Recently my youngest has started dating a girl who really wanted to try it.
He got to look good trimming the sails and she had a blast holding the tiller. She even wants to come back out.
So all hope isn't lost. You just need to find the right motivation for them.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:02   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

There is a group here called "sailing with kids." I wish more folks chimed in there. Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Cruising with Kids
Many years ago I was hired in a school to start a "water sports program" which I immediately turned into a sailing program/club. At our first meeting I was a little disappointed to see that all the kids who showed up for the meeting were the, how shall we say, less than perfect kids in school. But that was exactly what the doctor ordered for those kids. Sure the common denominator was they all wanted to get out of the house, but they also wanted an adventure and a place where they could feel good and shine a bit, which did not happen in school for them. I chartered boats, usually something like a Downeast 38, Catalina 36 and 32 and I'd load up as many high schoolers I could reasonably and safely get in there and we'd go out to the local islands for a few days. I think I did 21 or 22 of those trips. I pretty much failed as a sailing instructor, none of them really learned how to sail. They just loved being out there. They loved the trips from start to finish. And I recall one young man, poor guy was very unhappy and was a reject even among those who felt like rejects. He brought his gear in a garbage bag and hardly spoke. The others grumbled... we gotta bring him? Half way across the channel, in the middle of the shipping lane, with no wind, the diesel quits. I turned to the sea-sick crowd and asked "who's going to come down and help me with the engine?" He was the only volunteer. He held the flashlight while I cleared out the problem and he wasn't a bit queasy. When the engine fired up everyone cheered for HIM! Since everyone had lost their breakfast on the way over, everyone was pretty hungry once we were anchored yet no one wanted to go down and make some food. He volunteered again and came up with PB and J sandwiches for all. He was a hero and at least for a weekend he got to be away from his usual miserable world. Over the years the "kids" would call me up and insist we charter another boat and get back out there just about every summer. I still had to be the skipper though! Now those "kids" are in their late 40s, we still get together now and then, and one of them has his own boat in his slip next to me.
Kids want a boat that is fast (or feels fast) or will lead them to an exciting adventure. (don't we all really?) Some of us old farts have sanitized and safety-wrapped our sailing so much it doesn't have that exciting, slightly dangerous, slightly rebellious spark a young person needs. My own 11 year-old daughter loves the boat because it gets her out to the islands where she can see the whales and dolphins, find her birds and shells and do her snorkeling etc... The 5 year-old just loves everything right now.. a little too much, have to keep an eagle eye on him.
Give 2 or 3 11 year-old kids Sabots or Lasers and say "let's see who wins" and they'll probably be hooked racing each other in five minutes.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 20:29   #15
Marine Service Provider

WOW!! thanks so much everyone for your input...we have our Grandson with us now, on our boat and he spent all day sailing...often mentioning.."When we do the Baja Haja"....I think he is hooked! I am not worried anymore...most of the problems are mine and me trying to micromanage. I watch my hubby with him and he blossoms with Tim's willingness to give up control and let him tack etc...stretching his limits. It is going to be AWESOME!!!!! I love this forum.
NaturalPace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids, sailing