Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2017, 13:45   #1
cruiser

T-Mobile Bait Switch & Lies

Update on my T-Molbile International Unlimited roaming plan:

I'm being cancelled by this devious company after four months here in the Med and repeatedly being reasured by many T-Molbile reps that this wouldn't happen. What did I get for my additional $25 per month in international service charges.... absolutely NOTHING but extremely slow data service 278kbps. Being cancelled for excessive roaming even though I've only been roaming on the T-Mobile (Telekom) network. Lying thieves.... don't fall for it.

The plan has worked out well for my wife and daughter who spend less time over here in Europe, their phones are unaffected; but my wife never received the buyout money for her Verizon account she was promised ($275) even though all payments were made on time via an automatic credit card payment.

Just thought you all should know since I promoted this plan on the CF forum earlier this year acting as a crash test dummy.

Cheers

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 14:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: T-Mobile Bait Switch & Lies

Ken thanks for the update. Also we had issues getting out buyout money to had to resubmit the paperwork 3 times .
Finally got it as bill credits. Took close to 6 months of constant pushing. ( they hope you go late on even a single payment as that cancels everything) its in the legalese fine print)
Old 22-08-2017, 14:11   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Hope you post this on the original thread so others won't get suckered in when they read the promos. Can't say you weren't warned.
Old 22-08-2017, 14:40   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hope you post this on the original thread so others won't get suckered in when they read the promos. Can't say you weren't warned.
Paul,

The original thread was a "discussion." This thread is an update which is also posted on the "discussion." Yes, I was warned about the T Mobile plan AFTER I switched over and was advised by T Mobile reps that by taking out the NEW International plan, that this wouldn't happen.

But thanks for the kick if it makes you feel better.

Ken
Old 22-08-2017, 14:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Paul,

The original thread was a "discussion." This thread is an update which is also posted on the "discussion." Yes, I was warned about the T Mobile plan AFTER I switched over and was advised by T Mobile reps that by taking out the NEW International plan, that this wouldn't happen.

But thanks for the kick if it makes you feel better.

Ken
Welcome. Hopefully folks who read the original thread won't listen to the strident denials of the warnings and will read all the way through.

It really is pretty piss poor that TMobile gets to advertise what they do and then use the fine print to boot people off. Of course, they don't want cruisers as customers so they aren't going to act on any complaints.
Old 22-08-2017, 15:11   #6
cruiser

Here's the text message I received:

"T-Mobile works with wireless partners to provide coverage when traveling outside our coverage area; but, this roaming benefit is meant for occasional use. Our systems show most usage for the last several months on (xxx) xxx-xxxx was roaming off our network. This violates Terms & Conditions and so the line is scheduled for disconnection on September 22 2017. For details and contact info if you feel this is an error, visit http://t-mo.co/1Nlshrm"

I was very specific when I told them I lived in the EU six months per year.
Old 22-08-2017, 15:18   #7

Boat: wanting a cat

Kenomac,
Is using an unlocked cellphone and local sim an option? That's what I do when I'm in Europe...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 15:21   #8

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

That's what I do in every country I travel to. Otherwise data and roaming charges hammer you
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 15:36   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Kenomac,
Is using an unlocked cellphone and local sim an option? That's what I do when I'm in Europe...

meatservo
That's what I was doing for the past four years, and will again be doing beginning September 22. It's a cheap PITA.
Old 22-08-2017, 15:36   #10
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Here's the text message I received:

"T-Mobile works with wireless partners to provide coverage when traveling outside our coverage area; but, this roaming benefit is meant for occasional use. Our systems show most usage for the last several months on (xxx) xxx-xxxx was roaming off our network. This violates Terms & Conditions and so the line is scheduled for disconnection on September 22 2017. For details and contact info if you feel this is an error, visit http://t-mo.co/1Nlshrm"

I was very specific when I told them I lived in the EU six months per year.
That's awful!
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 15:46   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
That's what I do in every country I travel to. Otherwise data and roaming charges hammer you
The big problem I encounter using local SIM cards in Europe, is that nobody in the US including family answers the phone when I call them. They think the foreign number is a telemarketer and then block it. So then I'm left trying to get them to answer emails by using data.

Using a US number while roaming lets them see who's calling or texting.
Old 22-08-2017, 16:12   #12

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

Bummer! I wonder what caused this.

FWIW, we've been roaming non-stop with T-Mobe for the past two years in the Caribbean and Europe with no problem except for the generally slow data.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 17:10   #13

Quote:
The big problem I encounter using local SIM cards in Europe, is that nobody in the US including family answers the phone when I call them. They think the foreign number is a telemarketer and then block it. So then I'm left trying to get them to answer emails by using data.

You can get a US phone number on a service like Skye, then use the Skype app to call the numbers you want.
Old 22-08-2017, 18:37   #14

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:

Use WhatsApp and they will see your US cell number. They have to install the app though.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 22:14   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Use WhatsApp and they will see your US cell number. They have to install the app though.
We already do this along with facebook, but my business contacts seem to be the bigger issue.

Tags
mob