Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2017, 22:15   #16
cruiser

Re: T-Mobile Bait Switch & Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You can get a US phone number on a service like Skye, then use the Skype app to call the numbers you want.
Do the people I'm calling need to be using the skype app? Can my US number be transferred over?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 22:20   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
Bummer! I wonder what caused this.

FWIW, we've been roaming non-stop with T-Mobe for the past two years in the Caribbean and Europe with no problem except for the generally slow data.
I made it to month #5. We do have a work-around figured out for next season if I keep the T-Mobile service, but I'd need to suspend my number for one month or exchange phones with my wife a couple of times so the phone spends more time in the US.
Old 22-08-2017, 22:54   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I have the worldwide SKYPE phone. I pay about £130 a year including a regular phone number. TO all intents and purposes, its a landline. Calling is charge free to me including to cell phones in the US.

I can use on ANY computer or phone ANYWHERE via SKYPE. If someone wants to call me, it is at local rates. I live in Spain an have a Spanish cell phone at $12 a month with 2.4 gig. I use in restaurants and places with free wifi and its enough for me. I also use at home on the regular wifi.

I save about $3K a year.

Call quality is dependent on the Internet. Generally 95% of conversations are crystal clear.

Recommended. I have had for 9 years.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 23:04   #19
cruiser

We've had some trouble with Skype working properly on our iPhones, what type of mobile are you using with your skype phone? Is a skype phone number something I can purchase in the US? Can a US landline be transferred over to skype?

I found most of these answers on the skype phone home page.
Old 22-08-2017, 23:32   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We've had some trouble with Skype working properly on our iPhones, what type of mobile are you using with your skype phone? Is a skype phone number something I can purchase in the US? Can a US landline be transferred over to skype?

I found most of these answers on the skype phone home page.
Everything is purchased from SKYPE.
I use Android.
No transfered number..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 21:51   #21

Try the Magicjack option. You get a US number that you can use anywhere you have data.
RMazuera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 23:15   #22
cruiser

I used magicjack six years ago when we first spent the summer in europe. Does it still require the use of a computer with a usb? We now use iPhones and iPads which were not compatible at the time.

Looking into magicjack today, so far it looks good because it allows me to transfer my US number and make unlimited free calls to the US.

Thanks
Old 23-08-2017, 23:35   #23

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm being cancelled by this devious company after four months here in the Med and repeatedly being reasured by many T-Molbile reps that this wouldn't happen. What did I get for my additional $25 per month in international service charges.... absolutely NOTHING but extremely slow data service 278kbps. Being cancelled for excessive roaming even though I've only been roaming on the T-Mobile (Telekom) network. Lying thieves.... don't fall for it.
I doubt you have only been roaming on the T-Mobile network. Unless you've spend all your time in Croatia.

But even then, T-Mobile US is a different company than T-Mobile Europe. So when you use your phone here T-Mobile US gets charged by the operator for your usage here, which is why this rule that you are only supposed to use roaming "occasionally" exists.

Roaming charges have disappeared in Europe now. So you could get a EU sim. But here again there exist fair use rules that mean that the operators can punish you if you use the phone mostly outside your "home" country.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 03:49   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I doubt you have only been roaming on the T-Mobile network. Unless you've spend all your time in Croatia.

But even then, T-Mobile US is a different company than T-Mobile Europe. So when you use your phone here T-Mobile US gets charged by the operator for your usage here, which is why this rule that you are only supposed to use roaming "occasionally" exists.

Roaming charges have disappeared in Europe now. So you could get a EU sim. But here again there exist fair use rules that mean that the operators can punish you if you use the phone mostly outside your "home" country.
All but two weeks spent in Croatia and Montenegro on the Telekom network. T-Mobile knew of my plans to live in Europe for six consecutive months up front and several of their representatives recommended their International plan to me.
Old 24-08-2017, 05:17   #25

I found T-Mobile to be so horrifyingly slow on data in the Bahamas that I used a local SIM anyway. Switching cards out back and forth was a pain.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 13:34   #26

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
I found T-Mobile to be so horrifyingly slow on data in the Bahamas that I used a local SIM anyway. Switching cards out back and forth was a pain.
Y'all should get some unlocked, GSM, dual-SIM phones (I've even seen a triple-SIM one, may even be some quads).
These phones can be found at very inexpensive prices compared to tho$e price-inflated iPhone and Samsungs, etc. Sure, they might not have every bell-and-whistle the fancy ones have, but do you really need some of that stuff for 4-15 times the cost?
I paid ~$140 for my current one and it does almost everything the others do (at $600+), what it doesn't I don't miss; and it even has an easily replaceable battery.
Cell phones, smartphones, tablets, like much else, are a 'commodity item' now. If you just have to drive a Merc or Ferrari, well, have at it, enjoy.

One differentiation on dual-multi-SIM phones to watch for:
Some of them will allow simultaneous operation of each SIM line. With some others, you can only switch between one active SIM, while the other is 'standby only' or quiescent. The "switching" is done with a menu option, no need to fool around physically swapping SIMs.
The data/wifi/hotspot is pretty much using just one SIM, I think.
Read the specs and, maybe, the manual before buying.
Whether this SIMs-active or switched around option is important to you depends on your own usage and need.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob