Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 10:10   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2
Re: Surprising Tools You Can't Live Without

Flex-shaft inspection camera. Lets you look into all sorts of places you can't fit your head, or that would need three mirrors in perfect alignment to view... prices have come way way down.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 10:24   #17

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Redhead,

An addendum:

#1 - hook up with Bill - the greatest sailing resource in Alaska (IMHO) and he and Donna are absolutely great folks

#2 - the issue that plagued us the most up here (stayed over the winter) was by far - condensation. Get a good dehumidifier. We finally got an EvaDry EDV 400 and wish we had gotten it sooner. Maybe 2 on a boat your size. Kirsten also picked up some things called 'Golden Rods' which are small electric rods that go in closets or other small spaces and get warm enough to ward off condensation. We picked up several.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 10:31   #18

Hose Pick, epoxy, nut drivers for hose clamps, hose clamp spares, esp. in larger sizes, a large adjustable wrench, gasket material, breaker bar, torque wrench.
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:07   #19

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

Right angle bit driver and some hex shank drill bits. Apart from the obvious use of drilling and screwing at right angles it has the big benefit of being able to drill holes very close to a wall where a normal drill chuck wouldn't fit or would scratch the wall. I bought one for a specific job a year ago and it now lives in the end on my drill.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:11   #20

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Flush cut wire cutters for cutting zip ties flush. Keeps you from snagging yourself and keeps other wires from rubbing up against the sharp cut.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:51   #21

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Thanks everyone - it looks like we have most everything mentioned.

I'm surprised to hear the Dremmel, I've had one on board for the last 3 years and haven't used it once. I would have given it to Goodwill if you hadn't chimed in.

I'm trying to simplify - we have drill presses, planers, all the stuff you need to work on a boat but some of those jobs are done, over, and hopefully won't need them again. I had to repaint the water line last Sept. and realized things had gotten out of hand. The idea, after all, is to SAIL....

Thanks again.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 14:47   #22

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Harbor Freight 4-1/2 inch angle grinder. Yes, I can hear the chuckles out there now. I am in the metal working business and have about three. The one I have been using now daily is going out after 3 years. Get the red one, about $20 bucks. You can cut and shape with them, buy some thin cut off wheels and some flap disks. I always take the safety guard off, gets in the way. I also wear safety gear. 60 years in the business, still alive with common sense. The cut off wheels are about 1/16 inch thick, be very careful using these. They will cut through about anything. Use a full plastic face guard, also Harbor Freight, something you should have on the boat anyway. A Sawsall is very handy also, you can cut wood and metal easily. Wow, Harbor Freight should give me a Commission, they have a pack of adapters that allow you to use your sockets in your cordless drill for about $3 bucks. 1/4, 3/8, 1/2.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 16:23   #23

Boat: Leopard 47

For any serious electrical work, this one is really really good:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000KPU8...v_ov_lig_dp_it
POWER PROBE III W/ Case & Acc - Black (PP319FTCBLK)

It is a powered probe with long leads, to reach all over the boat. That's what you need!

Of course, there are many varieties, and you CAN spend more.
Old 16-04-2018, 17:18   #24

I was a machinist for 20 years and tools were cheap, ( pro grade SK tools ) so, I filled up my 6 foot tall Kennedy rollaround...then I did the same with a roll around Craftsman to the point it collapsed the wheels, ( newer Craftsman stuff just is not very tough), ..you can buy a lot of tools in 1200 weeks, so...I got tools. There are tools I use often and some I never use. I found that one of the tools that is constantly in my hand is a 3" semi serrated lockback knife that I paid $7 for at wally world. My hand will automatically reach for this tool anytime I need a small screwdriver, prybar, box cutter, paint lid opener, punch, hammer, scraper, wire cutter, putty knife or even a knife on occasion. So...cheap lockback knife with belt clip. Hands down.
Meacenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 17:43   #25

Duct tape. Good quality. More than one roll.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 18:30   #26

Gorilla tape!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 18:59   #27

Boat: currently boatless

One indespensible item in my tool box is a metal coat hanger. Great for hooking items your fingers can't reach, can be used to assist in pulling cables through tight area, improvised emergency antenna, so many uses I have lost count over the years. Can also be used as a coat hanger

Greg H
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 19:00   #28

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I'm trying to simplify - we have drill presses, planers, all the stuff you need to work on a boat but some of those jobs are done, over, and hopefully won't need them again. I had to repaint the water line last Sept. and realized things had gotten out of hand. The idea, after all, is to SAIL....

Thanks again.
After a big refit one would think that you know best which tools you've used a lot? And like you said, if you don't hope to use them again, ditch'em.

And even the tools you do take with you might not survive until you need them one day. I've had decent quality pliers for 10+ years on land but after 3 years in the toolbox on board they are rusted and seized.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 19:17   #29

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meacenas View Post
... I found that one of the tools that is constantly in my hand is a 3" semi serrated lockback knife that I paid $7 for at wally world. My hand will automatically reach for this tool anytime I need a small screwdriver, prybar, box cutter, paint lid opener, punch, hammer, scraper, wire cutter, putty knife or even a knife on occasion. So...cheap lockback knife with belt clip. Hands down.

I think I have the same one... several actually. And yes, one of my favorites, but they start to rust after you dive into scrape barnacles of the prop with them... I guess if I flushed it with clean water after it would help
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 19:21   #30

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

My favorite is electrical tape... I have 10 or more different uses for it.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote