Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2018, 12:14   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Surprising Tools You Can't Live Without

Screen repairs:
I forget the name (haven't punctured a screen in a long time) but there's a novel screen "patch kit" that was presented some time ago on Sharl Tank and is being sold online and in stores. Basically, it looks like a piece of saran wrap that you lay over the puncture. Except, you heat it and it fuses, like heat shrink adhesive tubing, to make a clear patch on the hole. Bonding and fusing, way better than just slapping packing tape over it.
FWIW.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 12:54   #47

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Screen repairs:
I forget the name (haven't punctured a screen in a long time) but there's a novel screen "patch kit" that was presented some time ago on Sharl Tank and is being sold online and in stores. Basically, it looks like a piece of saran wrap that you lay over the puncture. Except, you heat it and it fuses, like heat shrink adhesive tubing, to make a clear patch on the hole. Bonding and fusing, way better than just slapping packing tape over it.
FWIW.
That's brilliant! I just ordered them.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 13:37   #48
rbk

Boat: T37

Most everything has been said. I do keep a cordless drill around but backed up with hand tools. I’ll as an assorted set of O rings and some silicone self fusing tape for emergency hose repair or making odd sized O rings or gaskets. As mentioned above Alaska has many common tools you need and don’t know you need. Towns are frequent and have a great network for delivering people and freight, just need to talk to the right people sometimes.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote