Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2016, 16:21   #91

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Supplements, health foods and exercise strategies for cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Glad you are fighting the doctor for less meds; what we did for the MIL was great and the results have been tremendous.

I myself went to the doc for a routine checkup 4 months ago and my cholesterol was 201 (male, 63, 5'10" and 172 lbs) which was high for me. I have always been under 190. He wanted me to start meds for it and I refused saying "I'll come back in two months."

I started watching my intake a little better, began taking Wild Alaskan Fish Oil supplements because I don't eat fish and also started taking 2 teaspoons of Psyllium Husks each morning.

I went back in two months weighing 165, BP 105/60 and my new cholesterol was 178. He STILL wanted me to go on meds! WTH????

I said "I'll be back in two months" but I told my wife that I wasn't going back as he was pushing something I didn't need.

Alas, a good one is hare to find!

And to your last point, very much yes, we control our length of time here by how we treat the temple! But I gotta add that famous George Burns quote "Sure, I could give up cigars, women and whiskey and probably live longer but why would I want too?" Ha!

I take a few supplements but I didn't give up my beer!
I dont recall the numbers but my cholesterol was barely borderline for high and my doc also wanted me to take statins. Barely borderline. I refused. My bf has also refused his doc. Doing research we discovered that statins are far worse than haveing high cholesterol. My bf gave his doc the research he did and now his doc is onboard and has also refused statins.
Old 26-08-2016, 16:26   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Supplements, health foods and exercise strategies for cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post
In the Caribbean, just eating what the locals eat is a guarantee of good health. Excellent fruits, tasty seafood, "provisions" for a dose of carbs. Most islands have an excellent market at least a couple of days a week.
Not so sure about the Seafood with all those trillions X trillions of Microbeads floating over from Europe..
I'll stick to ribs, roadkill chicken and Johnny cakes thank you.. ohhh..!! and Plantain chips..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 10:57   #93

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

Nobody needs to fight about supplements. Science says they do not work. Science and statistical analysis says the same thing about alternative medicine. Alternative medicine that has statistically and objectively constantly done what it sets out to is called "medicine". Still, many who walk among us will swear by them, provide anecdotal evidence, or insist they have "faith" in those who provide this stuff. Our species will always include "evidence deniers" who trust their opinions, and studying them is interesting. Critical thinking can be taught, and still will not necessarily be learned.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 11:07   #94
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Nobody needs to fight about supplements. Science says they do not work. Science and statistical analysis says the same thing about alternative medicine. Alternative medicine that has statistically and objectively constantly done what it sets out to is called "medicine". Still, many who walk among us will swear by them, provide anecdotal evidence, or insist they have "faith" in those who provide this stuff. Our species will always include "evidence deniers" who trust their opinions, and studying them is interesting. Critical thinking can be taught, and still will not necessarily be learned.
So true, "There's no silver bullet." But that won't stop them from seeking the mystical "Fountain of Youth," just like the 16th century Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León.

Some things never change.....
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 11:13   #95
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So true, "There's no silver bullet." But that won't stop them from seeking the mystical "Fountain of Youth," just like the 16th century Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León.

Some things never change.....

Dumping sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup is the closest to a silver bullet...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 11:37   #96
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I lost 27 Lb over 5 months. How did i do this? Did I exerclse like a monkey athelete or drive a bike uphill everest?

No...

I stopped eating:
- Sugar like chocolates and candy
- Milk or cheese
- Pastries
- Bread products
- Startches like rice, potatows
- Carbs like pasta

I cut back my meats and ate more Tofu.

I didn't change any exercise habits which are small. I didn't loose any strength.

Ate fruits, veggies, some protein (you REALLY don't need that much.)

I am a lean monkey. 14% body fat now.

All that crap about supplements is useless. Ate that too at one time and stopped bcause it does no good.

Get rid of the processed crap in your diet and eat simple stuff. it IS tough at first, really tough for about 2 weeks, then you start feeling and thinking better.

PS: NO coconut water is not water. And NO juices like orange juice. Eat fruits which take a long time to break down if you want fructose.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 13:20   #97

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Nobody needs to fight about supplements. Science says they do not work. Science and statistical analysis says the same thing about alternative medicine.

(...)
If you ask a scientist what they think about sailing you will hear the same thing: sailing does not work. You get places faster and in more comfort and at a lower cost by plane.

And yet. We sail.

The problem would be if science and statistics said that supplements and alternative medicine are bad for you. But as far as I know, this is not more frequent than getting seriously sick from side effects of otc, approved, medicine.

And so one can take the supplements or not, at their will, and as long as they pay for it at the checkout.

Things do not have to scientifically "work" to make a viable product. There is very little these days that we buy out of actual need. We buy and use heaps of products that simply do not "work". Think of erotic underwear for cats.

Supplements are just a passtime, a temporary fancy, and a lifestyle. Like yoga, pilates and positive thinking. They are OK to not "work" scientifically.

BTW Scientists will confirm and deny (often all at once) that everything and anything works or does not work, as long as you pay a scientist to prove it. In this view, science does not "work" either.

Ehrrrr ... ;-)

Bueno, un kisssss,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 14:22   #98

Scientists have shown that vitamin D can have an effect on cancer. This is the result of scientific research. So to say there is no benefit in taking supplements is just wrong and to say that science says there is no benefit is even more wrong.

I do agree with those who say to stay away from processed and manufactured foods. To eat fresh natural foods and go easy on sugar.

No one disagrees that exercise is also beneficial to one's health. I benefit the most from a regular regime. Some posters have given some great ideas on onboard exercise solutions. Old fashioned calisthenics, push ups coupled with various muscle stretching and muscle resistance exercises. I've researched foldable and those under desk bicycle like exercise machines. Lightweight dumbbells and various strength exercise bands. A daily regime onboard using these methods is definitely what I will be doing.

I am also looking at a foldable aluminium electric bike. Something I can use for shopping runs along with sightseeing rides. For me, not being a cyclist and also never having enjoyed cycling up those steep hills, will love switching a switch to motor up the steep inclines. Also being able to cycle to the end of an island and motor back to the dinghy or marina after a long sightseeing is appealing.

Sailing is in so many ways a healthy lifestyle in and of itself. But as have some commented it also can be very sedentary on long passages. Eating right is a given. For me if it's good enough for horses to take vitamins to enhance performance than I'm all for enhanced performance. It may not be for everyone but a regular exercise regime and schedule works best for me.

Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 14:37   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Glad you are fighting the doctor for less meds; what we did for the MIL was great and the results have been tremendous.

I myself went to the doc for a routine checkup 4 months ago and my cholesterol was 201 (male, 63, 5'10" and 172 lbs) which was high for me. I have always been under 190. He wanted me to start meds for it and I refused saying "I'll come back in two months."

I started watching my intake a little better, began taking Wild Alaskan Fish Oil supplements because I don't eat fish and also started taking 2 teaspoons of Psyllium Husks each morning.

I went back in two months weighing 165, BP 105/60 and my new cholesterol was 178. He STILL wanted me to go on meds! WTH????

I said "I'll be back in two months" but I told my wife that I wasn't going back as he was pushing something I didn't need.

Alas, a good one is hare to find!

And to your last point, very much yes, we control our length of time here by how we treat the temple! But I gotta add that famous George Burns quote "Sure, I could give up cigars, women and whiskey and probably live longer but why would I want too?" Ha!

I take a few supplements but I didn't give up my beer!
It is unfortunate that a great many Doctors get their ongoing education from pharmaceutical companies rather than the latest scientific research. This is a serious problem in modern day medicine.

Thanks Bachus for sharing your experience. I also researched stations. One thing that hit me was one of the known listed side effects is its effect on muscles. It can cause muscle pain and weakness. I said to myself, what the heck. Isn't the heart the most important muscle in the body. I tried to research muscle issues of statin intake but since it goes against a very profitable drug there is hardly any research out there. But the drug companies have been forced to at least acknowledge the muscle damage side effect.

Beer is a great suplement.
Old 27-08-2016, 14:40   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Think of erotic underwear for cats.
b.
Do I have to? I would prefer not
Old 27-08-2016, 15:32   #101

Boat: a sailing boat

OK.

So we agree moving the bum is good for us. But we DO NOT move it. From all the liveaboards here (can be about 50 boats or so) we are the only crew that runs, swims, rows and goes to the gym. I bet there must be at least one other crew like us, maybe two. Still, we are 'the vast minority'.

And why is this? Well, among other factors, thanks to the fact that taking one alternative medicine (a.k.a. healthy diet / supplement food / wonder pill) burns 10 times as much calories as 5 minutes of fast run (yes, it is true, I heard this on TV yesterday). So why bother with moving it, if I can sit and eat supplements?

Our obsession with eating something is sickening. As soon as we are done with that hamburger, we reach for hamburger supplements. Hilarious.

And where you refer to sailing I believe this is Olympic or otherwise competitive sailing, day-sailing, and other forms of proper physical activity. BTW this forum is mostly about cruising and populated by cruisers. Few active dinghy racers here.

Of the 50 boats mentioned above, maybe 10% are alcoholics, at least 50% are heavy smokers, the rest are bar goers. Some indulge in all three sailing passions.

Some forms of sailing may be healthy. But cruising clearly is not.

With a +big energetic hug,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 15:46   #102
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Supplements, health foods and exercise strategies for cruisers

Quote:
OK.

So we agree moving the bum is good for us. But we DO NOT move it. From all the liveaboards here (can be about 50 boats or so) we are the only crew that runs, "Come on love.. its nearly closing time.."
swims, "Barni.. you missed the dinghy again.. how many times must I tell you.. 'Its the one in the Middle'.. Sigh"
rows.. "Bludi Outboards.. Hic..!!"
I bet there must be at least one other crew like us, maybe two. Still, we are 'the vast minority'.
barnakiel

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 16:58   #103

https://youtu.be/hdwmez0J2Nk

These guys turned their catamaran into a gym.
Old 27-08-2016, 21:05   #104

Quote:
OK.

So we agree moving the bum is good for us. But we DO NOT move it. From all the liveaboards here (can be about 50 boats or so) we are the only crew that runs, swims, rows and goes to the gym. I bet there must be at least one other crew like us, maybe two. Still, we are 'the vast minority'.

And why is this? Well, among other factors, thanks to the fact that taking one alternative medicine (a.k.a. healthy diet / supplement food / wonder pill) burns 10 times as much calories as 5 minutes of fast run (yes, it is true, I heard this on TV yesterday). So why bother with moving it, if I can sit and eat supplements?

Our obsession with eating something is sickening. As soon as we are done with that hamburger, we reach for hamburger supplements. Hilarious.

And where you refer to sailing I believe this is Olympic or otherwise competitive sailing, day-sailing, and other forms of proper physical activity. BTW this forum is mostly about cruising and populated by cruisers. Few active dinghy racers here.

Of the 50 boats mentioned above, maybe 10% are alcoholics, at least 50% are heavy smokers, the rest are bar goers. Some indulge in all three sailing passions.

Some forms of sailing may be healthy. But cruising clearly is not.

With a +big energetic hug,
barnakiel

I have never taken a pill to diet. Never will. I'm surprised only 10% are alcoholics. Maybe waiting till sundown for that drink shows some self restraint so therefore they mustn't be alcoholics.
Old 27-08-2016, 21:38   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

The difference between an alcoholic and a drunk is that an alcoholic has to attend all those darned meetings....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, food, health, men