Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2016, 00:23   #61

Re: Supplements, health foods and exercise strategies for cruisers

Another low impact, low space idea for exercise (and rehab) is using resistance bands. They come in different elasticity levels. I have one on aboard and add a few sets for strength training (and something to do while on watch). Also daily stretching! And plank for a few minutes for core strength.

Old 22-08-2016, 06:46   #62

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
+1 Agreed

Millions, if not billions, made each year by diet fad companies selling to folks looking for the "magic bullet" so they can pop a pill then continue with their sedentary life and poor eating habits while they wait for the lbs to fall off..
+1

https://youtu.be/lW8C1W1Iefk

Old 22-08-2016, 06:53   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
-- by the way I do agree that ditching the pleasures of life in crazy. I drink my beer, you have your ice cream
Mark
Ditching the (guilty) pleasures may not help you to live longer; but, I guarantee it will make your life seem longer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:43   #64

Boat: Cal T2 27', Renken 18, Macgregor Venture Cat 15

I have a simple plan that works well on my boat (gives me all nutrients I need) and I'll give you the "why" first. I have 2 degrees in Agriculture and the commercial farming practices in the US and most of the industrial world have mined essential minerals from our soils by only adding mass amounts of NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium). Add Herbicides (Roundup) and Pesticides which accumulate and are persistent in the soil and pollute groundwater. Stack on GMO's (Monsanto) which virtually explode a bug's internal digestion system (not so good for your either) and you have a perfect storm.
Rates of diseases from Autism for the young, Alzheimers for the aged, cancers, to the Zika virus have exploded while the Alopathic Medical Model, propelled by pharmaceuticals (all poison) which does not cure any disease, but instead manages the symptoms and in most cases suppresses our own ability to cure ourselves.
Add highly processed foods, fast foods, sugar and even worse sugar substitutes, the commercials brainwashing you that "you need a break today" and you have a culmination of the problem. Obesity rates have exploded, why? Because your body is craving vitamins and minerals it can't get so it craves sweet, salty, fatty foods. The more you exercise to loose weight the more the you effect occurs. This is why excessive body conditioning leads to early death (Jim Fixx, FloJo, Lenny Tobias, Walter Peyton and 99 % percent of our aging professional athletes who have chronic ailments although they had the best doctors, trainers and nutrition.
Yet there are areas of the underdeveloped world where people live to 100 + without any of the above, have never seen a Doctor (Shamans yes).

The solution? Simple avoid the Ten Bad Foods, try to eliminate gluten from your diet (fortunately Rum is gluten free), eat Organic and Natural foods and supplement your diet with 90 essential Minerals and Vitamins. The body is an amazing thing and with the proper inputs will heal itself. Get back to the fundamentals, put the right ingredients into your engine, if you try to run your diesel on gas what happens? If you try to run your gas motor on diesel what happens?

I use products from the Youngevity line and feel better at 59 then I did at 39, and weigh 60 pounds less without dieting and eat all the meat and butter I can. For info about Dr Wallach and the simple plan go to 90 For Life - Official Site

Educate yourself, fire your Alopathic Doctor avoid hospitals they are the largest cause of death (700,00 per year) and bankruptcy in the US, use Naturopathic Doctors, Chiropractors and Eastern Medical Practitioners (Accupunture to Chinese Herbs). Live long and Prosper Doc
Old 22-08-2016, 08:50   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I think with our pro-health thinking, we hugely overestimate FOOD and vastly underestimate exercise.

The reason seems obvious too: food is pleasure while exercise is (to most of us) pain.

Having heaps of exercise is an excellent calorie-intake fuse by its own virtue: you cannot overeat before any serious exercise and any serious take on any serious physical activity drives your attention to what you eat and how much you eat.

So, basically, it all boils down to a very simple mantra: move the bum and stop eating this much.

Supplements and health foods are still FOOD. They may be required if you are a special case (older, pregnant, recovering) but are just more food otherwise.

Our civilisation is food abundant and food obsessed. Get out of this circle. Move on.

Cheers,
b.
Old 22-08-2016, 10:06   #66

Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRox View Post
I have a simple plan that works well on my boat (gives me all nutrients I need) and I'll give you the "why" first. I have 2 degrees in Agriculture and the commercial farming practices in the US and most of the industrial world have mined essential minerals from our soils by only adding mass amounts of NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium). Add Herbicides (Roundup) and Pesticides which accumulate and are persistent in the soil and pollute groundwater. Stack on GMO's (Monsanto) which virtually explode a bug's internal digestion system (not so good for your either) and you have a perfect storm.
Rates of diseases from Autism for the young, Alzheimers for the aged, cancers, to the Zika virus have exploded while the Alopathic Medical Model, propelled by pharmaceuticals (all poison) which does not cure any disease, but instead manages the symptoms and in most cases suppresses our own ability to cure ourselves.
Add highly processed foods, fast foods, sugar and even worse sugar substitutes, the commercials brainwashing you that "you need a break today" and you have a culmination of the problem. Obesity rates have exploded, why? Because your body is craving vitamins and minerals it can't get so it craves sweet, salty, fatty foods. The more you exercise to loose weight the more the you effect occurs. This is why excessive body conditioning leads to early death (Jim Fixx, FloJo, Lenny Tobias, Walter Peyton and 99 % percent of our aging professional athletes who have chronic ailments although they had the best doctors, trainers and nutrition.
Yet there are areas of the underdeveloped world where people live to 100 + without any of the above, have never seen a Doctor (Shamans yes).

The solution? Simple avoid the Ten Bad Foods, try to eliminate gluten from your diet (fortunately Rum is gluten free), eat Organic and Natural foods and supplement your diet with 90 essential Minerals and Vitamins. The body is an amazing thing and with the proper inputs will heal itself. Get back to the fundamentals, put the right ingredients into your engine, if you try to run your diesel on gas what happens? If you try to run your gas motor on diesel what happens?

I use products from the Youngevity line and feel better at 59 then I did at 39, and weigh 60 pounds less without dieting and eat all the meat and butter I can. For info about Dr Wallach and the simple plan go to 90 For Life - Official Site

Educate yourself, fire your Alopathic Doctor avoid hospitals they are the largest cause of death (700,00 per year) and bankruptcy in the US, use Naturopathic Doctors, Chiropractors and Eastern Medical Practitioners (Accupunture to Chinese Herbs). Live long and Prosper Doc
Thanks you for that Doc. I have seen no research that contradicts your claims about the "mining" of essential minerals from many farms in the USA. As unscientific as it is I can taste tomatoes in Argentina but when I buy in the US they are tasteless. The quality of the earth were things are grown dies have a big impact on what is grown. Funny how such common sense is debated by the old school medical world. Who by the way haven't studied a second of agricultural science.

I personally am replacing my pharmacies with natural foods including multi vitamins, minerals and specific supplements aimed at some of my pharmaceutical induced issues.

Again thanks Doc for your contribution.

When I started this thread for the life of me I had no idea some would see this topic as controversial and use it to attack me and others for looking for suggestions regarding a healthy cruising lifestyle. There are some seriously nasty people out there. So very sad.
Old 22-08-2016, 10:08   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwindjammin View Post
Another low impact, low space idea for exercise (and rehab) is using resistance bands. They come in different elasticity levels. I have one on aboard and add a few sets for strength training (and something to do while on watch). Also daily stretching! And plank for a few minutes for core strength.
Thanks for that. A great suggestion.
Old 22-08-2016, 10:19   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

You only need one supplement. This will cure everything from eye strain to Rickets, From Arthritis to water on the knee...

It wont't really but sure dun taste Good!!

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 10:33   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
You only need one supplement. This will cure everything from eye strain to Rickets, From Arthritis to water on the knee...

You nearly have that right. The name is Vegemite

http://blogs.smh.com.au/lifestyle/al...vegemites.html
Attached Images

Old 22-08-2016, 11:03   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

Thanks Weavis. I am sure it is will also reverse aging and cure global poverty. :big grin: Well at least the manufacturers children won't be poor.

Rocking aside. I am sure you would agree that regular dose of vitamin B complex could be very beneficial. Of course to much can effect the liver but a spread of marmite or vegemite on the morning full grain brown toast in the morning could be a good thing. Or for some on glutton free crackers. Cant for the life of me get either brand where I am at the moment. Safe sales Weavis.

PS. I have a great respect for you as a Doctor from your post where you told of your approach to over subscriptions. It is very reassuring to know that there are Doctors out there like you. My Doctor is a great Doc but she is old school. Doesn't discuss the medications. One of which I just found out has an FDA warning for causing lymphatic cancer and a dangerous diminishment of leucocytes.
Old 22-08-2016, 11:04   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Brilliant!

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 15:35   #72
LNL

Boat: still a waterfront lot

Hi Chaya,
I have done a lot of research on fitness while on board. I am not living aboard until spring 2017 but We know what fitness...besides swimming...we will be using. You can check out my web page Waveriderslife.com I have blogs about fitness to do while onboard. It may give you some ideas. Normal body weight workouts are also great! Planks, squats, pushups, pullups, lunges and wall squats. Harder ones like burpees are good also. There are many body weight exercises if you prefer not to purchase any equipment. I hope this helps a bit.

Liane
Old 22-08-2016, 16:50   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now I got this second thought, related to our health.

Unless you are very young, most of your health is already gone. We are programmed to live 35 years or so (ask any dentist or gynecologist). Beyond that, its all a slide.

Some say we can slide slower (or longer) by doing this or that, but I have seen no proof. I have seen grumpy heavy smokers living to rape old age and young optimistic people dying with cancer at 25.

So why not just eat what one likes best, exercise as much as one likes (or NOT) and live a happy life of UNKNOWN length? Just like any other life ...

Just a thought. Maybe a proof that my mental slide is towards its end too ;-)

Cheers,
b.
Old 22-08-2016, 17:14   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Now I got this second thought, related to our health.

Unless you are very young, most of your health is already gone. We are programmed to live 35 years or so (ask any dentist or gynecologist). Beyond that, its all a slide.
What utter bollocks.
Old 22-08-2016, 17:24   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeLevel View Post
What utter bollocks.
Who am I to judge others.

;-)

b.