Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2017, 12:37   #151

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Re: Supplements, health foods and exercise strategies for cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Interesting enough, for those here that don't know it, acupuncture had pretty much been disproven as an all around heath care solution and died away as a practice until Chairman Mao revived it as a sort of Chinese Nationalist propaganda tool to revel the Chinese culture into his system.

I read this in a recent article, which I cannot find now. The article went on to say that in a scientific study that the expert acupuncturist skill set has no more benefit than if you took the same needles and jabbed them randomly in different places. It also noted they believe it releases a natural painkiller into the bloodstream but I forgot the name -- hormone or something, starts with an A.

I've had it done for sleep problems and it seemed to work for me, but the effect is temporary.
MacLean's Magazine? Spring, 2017?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 12:42   #152
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Sorry, but I think you are referring to acupuncture. This was a major early treatment in China, but was abandoned in the 1700s for lack of benefits. When Mao got into power, the cupboard was bare, but the peasants were promised healthcare - so Mao dug up the placebo and ran with it. We in the west, are supposedly smarter, but maybe not. Glad if it works for some, but without the data, it remains a placebo - still a treatment that works for some.
In other words.... Hokus poke us.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 16:31   #153

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

In my experience.....

Bulging disk, sciatica.....
Chiropractor helped very little. I'm sure after much time it would've helped more. But I could not afford the amount of visits it would take. So onto physical therapy. 3 visits per week for 4 weeks and done. I have had no more problems and it has been 10+ years since. No meds other than a couple weeks worth of a mild pain killer/anti inflammatory and then done.

Homeopathic Doctors and treatments.....
My friend, 29, happy, healthy, married mother of 2. She had "flu"symptoms. Homeopathic doctor gave her herbal tea and supplements for her symptoms and high fever. 3 days later she was dead. Turns out she had encyphilatis, should have been hospitalized and treated with, "gasp", pharmaceuticals.

Vitimins......
More and more studies suggest you piss them all out. The best way to improve nutrition is through diet. Certain cases, such as low levels of iron in the chronically animic, low levels of vitimins D, B, and magnisium, can be diagnosed through a simple blood screen. So Of course you should take supplements in certain cases. But just willy nilly trying to supplement is a waste of money and can actually harm you. The vitimin supplements market is in the billions $$$ and the ingrediants are unregulated.

I think science is making great progress! CAR-T treatments for cancer. And there is the amazing CRISPR sciencemag.org/news/2015/12/and-science-s-2015-breakthrough-year which will accelerate discoveries. Past discoveries have eleminated some diseases or have contained and nearly elemintated them.

As far as pharmaceutical companies and pricing? Well that gets into politics and governmental policies. So I'll reserve my opinions on that.

Having friends that are nurses, a BIL that is a doctor, and knowing the home health aids that cared for my father. They a fierce advocates to their patients, sometimes to their own detriment.

So no, I am not buying into the theory that all modern medicine is evil. Some policies and practices should be adjusted. But to totally disregard advances in science and medicine? Not me, bring on the progress.

Yes, exercise, healthy food, and practicle medical care when needed.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 00:17   #154
cruiser

To answer one of the OPs questions regarding exercise: Last year living aboard the good ship lollipop caused me to gain an extra 12-15 pounds, so I spent the winter taking off the weight. So this year, I made the extra effort to be sure and ride my Brompton folding bike at least 10 miles per day whether I needed groceries or not. Presently, the closest supermarket is four miles away and I make a point to ride over every day even if I really don't need much of anything.

Still it appears a few pounds have crept on from living the high life, but at least it'll be easier to take them off over the winter. I seem to put on weight easily. Cruising is more active in many ways over living a land-based sedintary lifestyle, but at times getting enough cardio exercise can be a challenge. I also take along my rather heavy camera backpack when out for a walk or touring a new town by bike, it weighs around 18 pounds.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 12:48   #155

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

Regarding diets, I note that many countries have outlawed the use of phrases like "super food" in many languages, since this stuff has not been proven to exist. Kale would still be barely heard of, if some MARKETER had not used the phrase - with no evidence. "Kill all the marketers, kill them tonight!"
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, food, health, men