Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2017, 13:57   #1

Summer trip for a graduating Senior

I posted this in my meet and greet, but I see this thread gets far more activity. I hope nobody makes me walk the plank...

I'm a graduating senior and I had a dream to sail the east coast. I live in St Augustine, Florida. I don't have a boat and I don't have a lot of money... I would be willing to work for my keep. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Dylanthesurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 15:18   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Summer trip for a graduating Senior

Dylan,

Welcome aboard CF. Look in the Crew Wanted, and possibly write a Crew Available ad for yourself. Do not just assume because you're young and vigorous that that is all that a potential skipper will require.

If you do a CF Google Special Search on the subject of what skippers want and crews need, you should find a number of previous threads to consider. Some skippers have gone so far as to write contracts for their crew to sign, "monte" and "jackdale" come to mind, you can search for their posts, and threads as well.

Ann
Old 13-01-2017, 15:32   #3

Boat: Pearson 33-2

You might start with an after school/weekend job on the docks. It'd be a way to meet people with boats, and make a little bit of cash. The Conch House usually has a bunch around your age working. Maybe try Fish Island? I know his docks heaved with Matthew's surge.....might be a way to weasel yourself onto a boat. Good luck young man!
Old 14-01-2017, 02:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dylan.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 09:15   #5

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Dylan;
Are you a high school senior, college senior, or medical school senior? given your screen name....if the latter I would highlite your medical training as many offshore crews have a member responsible for medical care. And this June the Marion, MA to Bermuda cruising "race" happens so put together a sailing resume (you don't mention sailing experience), nothing more than a list of your experience, boat, skills (navigation, first aid, CPR) etc. and go to the Marion site and post your interest on the crew list. Granted you are way down in florida, but worked for me being in CT and boat out of Annapolis.
good luck.
dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 09:49   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Your idea sounds like a good one. And Ann's given you some good suggestions. Which, there was a thread 3 months +/- ago where a CF member was asking what to expect as a delivery crewman, & what to ask/present during his initial interview with a skipper. And there were a huge amount of good tips given to the OP of the thread, found here --> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-177084.html
And if you do a search, particularly one customized to search these forums via Google, you'll find heaps of info.

Also, know that there are no shortage of crew placement agencies out there. Plus racing is a good way to both gain knowledge, as well as find rides. Since quite a number of boats regularly get delivered places before & after races, & often are quite enjoyable trips. Doing such things is probably the most often recommended way to learn & do lots of sailing, gratis.

BTW, there are also threads, & forums for crew seeking boats, & vice versa. So frequent them a bit in order to see what's available, the kinds of things that usually get asked, are required, etc. For example there's a Crew Pool sub-forum over on Sailing Anarchy Forums www.forums.sailinganarchy.com Along with other opportunities on Facebook, & probably other social media. Though I wouldn't know, being a luddite Perhaps you could report back to us on what you find, & or, where your travels lead you. Create a blog of same, etc.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 09:50   #7

Yo Dylan,

Try this findacrew site!
It's free and it works!

https://www.findacrew.net/?eid=nll_c...20170114#popup

Cheers,

Captd
Captdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 16:04   #8

Go yee to France. Paris if possible and find a nice girl who will show you the world. Best investment of your young life.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 17:38   #9

Boat: wanting a cat

I can post you in the right direction, my big regret not doing that. I went in the Army.

Join the United States Coast Guard, serve your Country, don't be part of the herd...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 18:29   #10

Thank ALL OF YOU for the ideas!

Just to clairify, I am a high school senior but I took IB classes (highest possible level in HS) as well as taking the health academy which certified me in CPR, EKG and first responder/EMT. I spent 8 months at the hospital with Dr's, nurses and the such. That's definitely another thing I bring to the table.

I'll look into every one of your suggestions and Be diligent in following up with them all.

Thank you all again for being so gracious in helping me!
Dylanthesurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 18:35   #11

Boat: wanting a cat

Consider your options, you know the military has options for your education. Consider one of the military academies. If that is not for you though, I understand completely...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 23:10   #12

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Cherubini

If you're up to a little drive, I've got a 30' sloop that needs sailing any day of the week.
I live near Ponce Inlet, just south of you. The boat is just out of the yard after a major refit and is in great shape.
Please contact me for more details at:
ggrizzardatcfldotrrdotcom
Which is my email address written to avoid spam bot trolling.
SK
Sea7King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:25   #13

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

It's on the West Coast, but check it out... Lady Washington | Grays Harbor Historical Seaport