Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 15:59   #1

submerged Raymarine eqipment

Has anyone had any luck with raymarine equipment that's been submerged. Our marina, "Saxon Harbor" on Lake Superior had a huge natural disaster last Sunday, completely destroying the entire harbor and most of the 90 boats that were in it. The Coast Guard is still attempting to recover a few left that sunk and were wash into the lake. My boat was equipped with Raymarine ST60 depth and Speed, ST2000+ tiller, and Tack Tick Wireless Wind, (this still works believe it or not, as it was on when the crane lifted on shore) The equipment was under water for 4 days, and I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do? (I plan to dry them well before putting any power to them. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. My boat is a total loss with a 6 foot by 2 foot hole in the hull near the keel.

Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	127936  
jaybird2719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 16:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: submerged Raymarine eqipment

Fresh water is a real benefit. If the equipment was not turned on, it's just a matter of thoroughly drying out the stuff before they are turned on and/or power applied. Sticking the stuff in a bag of rice is a good way to get the water out. Recovered a cell phone dumped in the toilet with the rice technique. If it's too bulky to do that, you could try drying it in the oven but be careful you don't melt it. Failing both of those, let the equipment sit in the sun for a week or so and you should be good. Assume it was a flood that caused the problem. Open up the stuff as much as possible and inspect for mud intrusion. Washing it down with a hose should get the dirt out.
Would be willing to bet you'll get them back up and running.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 16:29   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I see there was also 1 fatality.
I doubt your electronics can survive something like that. Try turning them on but don't get your hopes up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 16:42   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If they were powered up at the time, they will be toast. If not, i think you'd need to dissemble and flush with isopropyl alcohol for a while to clean and displace the water before drying. If any minerals or salts are left after the original water evaporates, the instruments will be on borrowed time, hence the need for disassembly and cleaning.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 16:58   #5

As mentioned, with fresh water you may get lucky, open everything up you can and let it dry in the sun or etc. If you cant open the moisture will stay in there a long long time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:07   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I have not seen any mention of said disaster, so could you tell us what happened, please?

And I agree that with fresh water you may be lucky. I've had rainwater intrusion into electronics with no permanent effects.

Jim
Old 17-07-2016, 17:13   #7

I would disassemble everything, spray down with pcb cleaner (you can get it at any electronic store), stuff the pcb and all electronic components in a bowl of dry rice (not cooked like one of my friends did ) and let them be for 5 days. After that, reassemble everything and power on.

This method has proven to be for me at least 99% effective

Good luck.

Tony

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 18:12   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I have not seen any mention of said disaster, so could you tell us what happened, please?

And I agree that with fresh water you may be lucky. I've had rainwater intrusion into electronics with no permanent effects.

Jim
Flooding causes major damage at Saxon Harbor; one fatality reported | Duluth News Tribune
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 05:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jaybird.

Sorry for your (& others) loss.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 11:07   #10

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. It will be at least several years before I start looking for a new boat. Our harbor probably will not be done anytime prior to that, if at all. Still trying to find two head sails, 150 and 155 UK laminated sails, both of which were in pristine condition. With any luck they will wash up on shore.

Thanks again
Jay
Lake Superior
Old 19-07-2016, 11:13   #11

Weather experts and engineers state 500-1500 year storm. Rain recorded in four hrs is some sort of record. Google Iron County Wi storm or Saxon Harbor. THanks

Tags
marine, men, raymarine