Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-06-2015, 11:10   #31

Boat: IP 40
Re: Staying motivated with all the projects

Thanks Ralph,

We're still trying to get the mix right on DIY projects vs hiring them out. The hard thing is really the stuff that's just labor, as much as I hate paying someone to do things like wax the boat, at the moment our time aboard is so limited that it seems we're better off hiring this kind of stuff out, and possibly refinishing the outdoor teak...though I'm not sold on this yet.

I actually do enjoy boat projects but when you're remote, as we will be for the next few years....I think you have to work and finding the right balance.

Old 20-06-2015, 12:43   #32
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
I actually do enjoy boat projects but when you're remote, as we will be for the next few years....I think you have to work and finding the right balance.
Just curious if you have considered moving your boat to Lake Travis for a few years? I see the level has come back up considerably.
Lake Travis Water Level

I've seen some pretty big boats there, and our boat lived there for years before we bought it. Fresh water should be easier on the boat, I think? Honestly, I never really enjoyed sailing Galveston Bay (but did enjoy the Kemah area). I did a lot of sailing on Lake Medina and Canyon Lake, and always enjoyed it. Just a crazy thought on my part.

Ralph

RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 23:24   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Seems like a familiar problem for many of us. Like hamburking said, doing maintenance in a beautiful anchorage is much more pleasant than in the marina. We usually plan a trip that includes some projects in the middle -- and that works well for us. If you're not a project person (and we ARE project people) you'll be fighting to find time to do the projects. Period. Just take a good look at who you are and what you can realistically do. Then, follow your plan. Do it for YOU not for everyone else. What I mean by that is that you may have to...downgrade...your expectations of a few things. Those winches? Are they working well but someone has put the bug in your ear that they have to be rebuilt NOW? Keep using them and do one at a time. We have 10 winches installed and used on the boat (and another 6 that used to be here when she was set up with racing stations) and there's always a winch to be rebuilt. It actually only takes a little bit of time to do a single one -- after a sail, while sitting at the dock or anchor, do that single one and be happy.

Hire out the hull cleaning; hire out the annual wax of the hull; don't let the retiree across the dock with the pristine engine room make you feel like YOU have to have yours equally spotless when you're so far away, etc. Adjust the expectations for sure.

When we bought and were rebuilding our schooner ( a full-time job for 2-1/2 years) we also bought a little Rawson 30 (cosmetic fixer-upper) that we sailed on the weekends. We would alternate weekends--one we'd sail, the next we'd maintain. We didn't let the weather really dictate because we were in a mild climate. It worked for us. And while we do all the diving/hull cleaning/everything on the bigger boat, we did just go ahead and hire a dive service for the Rawson. We sold the Rawson when we were launching the boat we'd rebuilt and somehow we did manage to fix up the Rawson even with just casual work on those alternate weekends.

Bottom line is to do what works for YOU not me or anyone else. Figure it out and be happy with your choices.

Fair winds, Brenda --oh and David is looking over my shoulder saying something about --get one tiny done every day no matter how tiny --um, clean the main saloon, or wipe down all the stainless stanchions...etc

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 06:11   #34
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Easy solution, buy a small boat (trailer sailer) for those times you want to sail, and keep the big boat for all those times you'd rather work on projects.

I've found that if I get one of those inflatable travel pillows to clamp under my neck, and empty several tropical drinks with umbrellas, I ca then stick an umbrella in my navel and fall asleep floating on my back during a downwind run...
Old 21-06-2015, 07:22   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I've found that if I get one of those inflatable travel pillows to clamp under my neck, and empty several tropical drinks with umbrellas, I ca then stick an umbrella in my navel and fall asleep floating on my back during a downwind run...
Photo please.............

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: