Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2014, 14:01   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Stanley Paris Calls it Quits

You guys are missing the point, it's not about being "green" Its about cost per mile for an automobile driven more than 40K miles per year
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 15:04   #152
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You guys are missing the point, it's not about being "green" Its about cost per mile for an automobile driven more than 40K miles per year
Did you know that in Japan they have to replace the engine or get a new car after approx. 40,000 miles because of the pollution it causes after so many miles of use..Now that has got to be expensive driving..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 15:11   #153

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Yes, but in practice they export the used cars, to the UK among others. (The cars have the steering wheels on the right side.) Exporting the old "dirty" ones does nothing for global pollution although it probably helps with the local pollution.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 15:12   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Did you know that in Japan they have to replace the engine or get a new car after approx. 40,000 miles because of the pollution it causes after so many miles of use..Now that has got to be expensive driving..

reference for that? Makes no sense, Cat etc is working well for way more than 100,000 miles, in th eUS some states have smog checks, and cars with more than 40,000 miles pass.
If true I suspect its some kind of weird government support of the automotive industry
Old 30-01-2014, 15:24   #155

Here's one reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor-...on_%28Japan%29

If you google a bit you will find that cars are often sold at 3 and 5 years, instead of getting the very expensive inspections at those times.

Greg
Old 30-01-2014, 15:39   #156
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
reference for that? Makes no sense, Cat etc is working well for way more than 100,000 miles, in th eUS some states have smog checks, and cars with more than 40,000 miles pass.
If true I suspect its some kind of weird government support of the automotive industry
You can buy car engines from japan w/30,000 miles on them right off the port in California for $600.00 US..Most of the cars in Jamaica were from eastern block countries(Ladas,Tribants)until the mid 90s,now 90% come from Japan and cost aprox. $2800.00 (US).. The local dealers sell them for much more..
Old 30-01-2014, 15:43   #157
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I aint going to come on here and tell ya lies with intent..Im certain I am correct,most of the time... trust me
Old 30-01-2014, 15:46   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Seems like the test cost between 1200 and 2500 and includes tow years insurance? Doesn't sound that expensive to me, but who knows, I bet it's not socially acceptable to drive an older car, sort of why you see so many SUV's here, or there may be tax reasons also.
When I was stationed in Germany a lot of Soldiers would buy huge old Mercedes, see they paid a tax every year based on car size, pretty quick it made no sense economically to have an older big car, and re-sale value was almost nothing, US Soldiers were exempt for the tax so you could get a perfect huge older Mercedes for less than a little VW
Old 30-01-2014, 15:53   #159
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Seems like the test cost between 1200 and 2500 and includes tow years insurance? Doesn't sound that expensive to me, but who knows, I bet it's not socially acceptable to drive an older car, sort of why you see so many SUV's here, or there may be tax reasons also.
When I was stationed in Germany a lot of Soldiers would buy huge old Mercedes, see they paid a tax every year based on car size, pretty quick it made no sense economically to have an older big car, and re-sale value was almost nothing, US Soldiers were exempt for the tax so you could get a perfect huge older Mercedes for less than a little VW
They dont spend the money on the test because they will fail the test..They just get rid of it at 30,000 miles and buy or lease the next one. The only people I have seen driving an older car in Japan was the folks that had fancy(mostly) red Italian sports cars(spoiled rich kids and Yakuzan)
Old 30-01-2014, 15:54   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I aint going to come on here and tell ya lies with intent..Im certain I am correct,most of the time... trust me

I believe you , I had heard of relatively low mileage Japanese spec engines for sale, but didn't know why. From an environmental perspective, I believe it makes more sense to operate a vehicle until it's on it's last legs (keeping it in a good state of tune of course). I have adopted that strategy, but do so from a point of saving money. Makes no sense to buy a new car every three years. I believe most do so they can give the appearance of being wealthy, just as most buy the vehicle based on status as opposed to usefulness. I've found a modern vehicle to be able to last 20 yrs or so and 250,000 miles assuming kept well and not abused.
I've got my Son driving a 1983 Suzuki Samurai, old, but he's learning how to maintain a vehicle by owning it
Old 30-01-2014, 15:56   #161

The problem is that the test itself can quickly become the smaller part of the bill. Repair costs are through the roof. So looking forward to an imminent test one can either sell the car or potentially be on the hook for a huge bill - just roll the dice. The test applies a score to the car, which also could kill the value of the car even once it is fixed. Of course it is OTT; it is really just another indirect subsidy for auto manufacturing.

Greg
Old 30-01-2014, 16:27   #162

Boat: Columbia 41

The boat interior plan shows three heads and three showers. How does he heat the water? Or maybe plans to save the planet through deoderant.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 16:32   #163

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
The boat interior plan shows three heads and three showers. How does he heat the water? Or maybe plans to save the planet through deoderant.
He has two fitouts using modular fitout. One for cruising and he has had it stripped out and modified for this adventure.

I imagine the luxury fitout will be put back in after this adventure.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 16:37   #164

Boat: Columbia 41

So he only has one head and shower. That is less of a problem. He can heat the water for a shower with a hose from the engine heat exchanger. Oh. Well, there is always more deoderant.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 16:39   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Surely he didn't use the motor?

Tags
cal