Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 08:55   #376

Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote: "I think from the aforementioned post, that was not the meaning and I think you know that."

Yes, I do. I was just being gentle as I usually am. I noted, subsequent to that remark being made, that I was not the only man on this forum who took offense.

Not that the situation is ever likely to arise, but by this single instance of such uncouth language the person who uttered it has excluded himself not only from my X-mas open house, but also from ever setting foot aboard

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:59   #377

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "I think from the aforementioned post, that was not the meaning and I think you know that."

Yes, I do. I was just being gentle as I usually am. I noted, subsequent to that remark being made, that I was not the only man on this forum who took offense.

Not that the situation is ever likely to arise, but by this single instance of such uncouth language the person who uttered it has excluded himself not only from my X-mas open house, but also from ever setting foot aboard

TrentePieds
I can honestly say I can learn a lot from a person like you...thanx...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 13:03   #378

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

" Right from Wrong", " Why WE don't use it" . Boys, I know exactly what I said, I said exactly what I meant. If the word offends your conscience, then I highly recommend you don't use it

Ladies if I offended you, my sincere apologies

Dirk Williams
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 13:32   #379

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks, Dirk, it was a little OTT to me.

Ann
Old 17-10-2016, 13:55   #380

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Doesn't anyone think the rehash has gone on enough. Make a decision her or her. The floating one doesn't have a voice.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 15:00   #381

Boat: Tartan 3000

Too much noise on this thread. Did the OP live happily ever after or a miserable existence?
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 17:46   #382

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well...it sounds like he might have worked it out with his partner. But the fact he doesn't respond may indicate he is not involved with CF anymore and one might conclude he is boatless.
My former wife became disenchanted with the cruising idea after months of talking about it before we married. Five years later, I literally gave her the house and I took the boat. Such was life at the time. Somehow, I landed on my feet and she used the house as an ATM machine and eventually lost it. Such is Karma.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 12:48   #383

Did I read that right? 26 pages of replies. You hit on a hot topic. And by the way, anyone who says you need to somehow involve your wife needs to walk in your shoes to truly understand the situation. I know. I am there right now. Though my wife hasn't said either her or the boat. But she refuses to have anything to do with it.

All I can say is that boat is more than a pass time or recreational activity. What you have in your vessel (mind you with the understanding that God rules our lives) is a little bit of destiny in your hands. You are the captain of your own ship, be it a boat or yacht a freakin' canoe. You set your course. You are in charge. And she knows it.

Now I am going out on a limb and guessing that there are power struggles at home. In my case there are. And if your wife is like mine, your wife feels or would feel lost and helpless on your boat. And for all those people with advice on how to change her, you would sooner change the weather. You would sooner stop the tides. You would be better off trying to stop time. Get it?

You can't change anyone. They have to want to change.

Here's another thought. I would tell never tell my wife to pick either knitting or me. Frankly, I think knitting is a waste of time when we could be having adventures and spending time with the kids. Knitting sucks, crocheting and all that stuff is for land locked land lubbers that like to sit on their rears.

Do not give up your dreams. This is a control issue. And you may have to sail alone, but sail you must. The ocean calls you. So disregard that nagging in the background.

The sea knows your name. And you must answer her beckoning.

Keep the boat.

Signed,

A lonely but happy skipper.
alfreddiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 21:48   #384

Boat: C&c 30 mk1

Nothing makes you forget the last one, like the next one😄
Sirzones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 21:56   #385
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

I know you're not me, but I would dump the female problem and not the boat. Plenty of females anywhere you can sail a boat to.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:24   #386

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post
ok, so long time lurker, not much of a poster. Really need some advice on this.

I have an older boat that I have completely restored to like new condition. Surveyor says it is in bristol condition. I absolutely adore this boat and have put so many hours into researching, restoring and using it. Recently got my 100T Captains license as well.

Here's the rub, my wife hates my boat, the slowness of boat travel and the ocean. Not only that, but she hates it when I want to use the boat by myself or go somewhere with a group of boaters. I love boating, have had boats all my life (two boats before marriage even) except when kids (and their horses, braces, education etc) depleted all available funds.

It is not a money issue - I retired early with no debt and money in the bank. I am not sure what kind of issue it is but the long and short of it is that I have been given an ultimatum about my "obsession" and told to sell it because it is damaging the marriage.

Looking for help understanding this. Almost cried today when I faxed the signed listing over to the broker. Now I am lost, I don't have any other hobbies or interests. I almost feel like a close friend has died.

What does a sailor without a boat do? Where to go on this?
Can you see where seeking advice on a wife vs. boat on a boating forum is not the best idea?

None of us know you or your wife any better than a marriage counselor would after five minutes so my suggestion is for the both of you to see one. If your wife won't go, go alone.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:34   #387
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Spouse hates my boat

[QUOTE=Razoo;2316208]I know you're not me, but I would dump the female problem and not the boat. [Quote]

Hmm.. a Donald Trump sympathiser..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:32   #388

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Can you see where seeking advice on a wife vs. boat on a boating forum is not the best idea?

None of us know you or your wife any better than a marriage counselor would after five minutes so my suggestion is for the both of you to see one. If your wife won't go, go alone.
I thought this went away weeks ago. You nailed it Ron.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:43   #389

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Plus, if you remember, the guy decided to both keep the boat, and work it out with his wife!

This type of thread brings feminists and unhappy men out of the woodwork to get snarky. Let's just let it die a reasonable death, eh?

Ann
Old 01-02-2017, 13:14   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post
ok, so long time lurker, not much of a poster. Really need some advice on this.

I have an older boat that I have completely restored to like new condition. Surveyor says it is in bristol condition. I absolutely adore this boat and have put so many hours into researching, restoring and using it. Recently got my 100T Captains license as well.

Here's the rub, my wife hates my boat, the slowness of boat travel and the ocean. Not only that, but she hates it when I want to use the boat by myself or go somewhere with a group of boaters. I love boating, have had boats all my life (two boats before marriage even) except when kids (and their horses, braces, education etc) depleted all available funds.

It is not a money issue - I retired early with no debt and money in the bank. I am not sure what kind of issue it is but the long and short of it is that I have been given an ultimatum about my "obsession" and told to sell it because it is damaging the marriage.

Looking for help understanding this. Almost cried today when I faxed the signed listing over to the broker. Now I am lost, I don't have any other hobbies or interests. I almost feel like a close friend has died.

What does a sailor without a boat do? Where to go on this?
Ditch wife -keep boat
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote