Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 11:12   #361
Registered User
 
Sea Dreaming's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Still living out of my backpack... (dang it!)
Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Posts: 1,053
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Don't count on being washed up and sell out. I am 53 year old sailor that only gave up my boat because I had to make choices on where I was going to live. Maybe get another one later.Moved to Mexico.
The worst time in life for me was when I realized I was with the wrong mate for this time period in my life. Best mate to raise children but after they were grown we shared no interest. He wanted to continue to work and I wanted to travel. Worked for children, house, college, now was our time and he didn't show up for it. Not angry, it was sad that we had nothing in common but children after 26 years.
Now traveling by RV in summer, living in Mexico for winter and sailing as crew. This is not washed up!



Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Lorrie, that's perfect. What you describe is the same for me and my boyfriend in our former marriages. Wanting different things is a perfect reason to go your own way. There is nothing "selfish" about freeing another to pursue their own dreams without conflict. Hope to meet you in Mexico one day.
__________________

__________________
10 people a year are killed By sharks. 100 people a year are killed by cows. Fear the real killer!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 16:56   #362
Registered User
 
lorrie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mexico
Boat: Sold Catalina 250
Posts: 199
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Sea Dreaming
Let me know when you make it to Mexico. I love Banderas Bay!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 18:00   #363
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Klamath Falls or, and Moss Landing Ca
Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral"
Posts: 137
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Cut this gash loose, giver her, 1/2, the house, and go live your life.

Her actions are selfish, self serving, I'm guessing this gigs over, sooner rather then later anyway.

Dirk
__________________
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:35   #364
Registered User
 
meatservo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DFW
Boat: wanting a cat
Posts: 120
Re: Spouse hates my boat

beer is good, God is great, and people are crazy...


There are a lot of beautiful Women on this planet, inside and outside, my retirement plan is to find the one that has the most of both...



meatservo
__________________
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 20:00   #365
Registered User
 
Octopussy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cruising in Florida right now...
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Posts: 70
Images: 1
Re: Spouse hates my boat

I'm a woman.

My husband and I spent the last three and a half years rebuilding and outfitting our boat for cruising.

I say get rid of YOUR WIFE. NOT your BOAT.

Hope to see you out there some day with your bristol rebuilt boat. What a shame to let HER GO!

Fair Winds,
Octopussy

Follow the adventure at: S/V Octopussy
__________________
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 20:13   #366
Registered User
 
meatservo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DFW
Boat: wanting a cat
Posts: 120
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
I'm a woman.

My husband and I spent the last three and a half years rebuilding and outfitting our boat for cruising.

I say get rid of YOUR WIFE. NOT your BOAT.

Hope to see you out there some day with your bristol rebuilt boat. What a shame to let HER GO!

Fair Winds,
Octopussy

Follow the adventure at: S/V Octopussy
I know you're married, but I still love you!

meatservo
__________________
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 20:30   #367
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 3,794
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
My wife read your post and suggested you keep the boat and put your wife on the market!
Exactly the same advice we gave a friend 25 years ago--''you can always get a new woman, but that's a really nice boat". It took him 6 months to get a new woman, and he is still happy.
__________________
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 20:48   #368
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,694
Images: 5
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Cut this gash loose, giver her, 1/2, the house, and go live your life.

Her actions are selfish, self serving, I'm guessing this gigs over, sooner rather then later anyway.

Dirk
Cut the what loose! Geez!...you running for Prez?
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 20:54   #369
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,694
Images: 5
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Don't count on being washed up and sell out. I am 53 year old sailor that only gave up my boat because I had to make choices on where I was going to live. Maybe get another one later.Moved to Mexico.
The worst time in life for me was when I realized I was with the wrong mate for this time period in my life. Best mate to raise children but after they were grown we shared no interest. He wanted to continue to work and I wanted to travel. Worked for children, house, college, now was our time and he didn't show up for it. Not angry, it was sad that we had nothing in common but children after 26 years.
Now traveling by RV in summer, living in Mexico for winter and sailing as crew. This is not washed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yup...life's funny that way. Too many times I've seen the M or the F get so entrenched in the groove of giving, working and sacrifice, they forget the original goal to slow down and make time for themselves.
Like most here, I'm later in life and only have fun crew with me who want to hang out as long as the feel it's fun for them. I've seen reluctant spouses do the dream and have it end in misery. Usually in the forum of a break-up.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 23:49   #370
Registered User
 
lorrie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mexico
Boat: Sold Catalina 250
Posts: 199
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
beer is good, God is great, and people are crazy...


There are a lot of beautiful Women on this planet, inside and outside, my retirement plan is to find the one that has the most of both...



meatservo

Good Plan!
No Pretenders


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 00:12   #371
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 136
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post
Ok, I stirred up quite a lively debate. I overreacted and made a stupid post. All is well that ends well so this thread needs to come to a close. Love your wife as I do mine and work it out.
So, this is one of the last posts this guy made. It was over a year ago. He hasn't made a post since 2015. I wonder what he decided to do?
__________________
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:42   #372
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 16,645
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Spouse hates my boat

ok it has been a year and half since op wrote his tale of woe--- what i wanna know is--

1) didja find a new boat yet or did you pull your s from market yet

2) did you get your divorce yet

3)update.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:33   #373
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Klamath Falls or, and Moss Landing Ca
Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral"
Posts: 137
Re: Spouse hates my boat

CS, gash is a term I hooked onto in the Navy. Admittedly it's not very flattering. It's up their with Snapper. Only used in the locker room and when being descriptive.

Ive never been very politically correct, I view that disease as contributing to what's ailing our world. If a person has something to say, say it. Don't beat around the bush.

FWIW, married 35 years, to a short blonde Swedish american, 5.4 110, she has no problems standing her ground either. In fact she's been heard using rather descriptive language herself, generally regarding me, from time to time.

Dirk
__________________
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:41   #374
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 715
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Uhmm... Perhaps it might help the odd person to know that "gash" IN THE NAVY means "waste material", "surplus material", "poor quality material" or simply "waste" as in the term "gash bucket"

How the term is used in American street speech is quite familiar to most of us, which is why we don't use it. EXCEPT when the context makes it clear that we are using it in the RN sense.

TrentePieds
__________________
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:49   #375
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,694
Images: 5
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
CS, gash is a term I hooked onto in the Navy. Admittedly it's not very flattering. It's up their with Snapper. Only used in the locker room and when being descriptive.

Ive never been very politically correct, I view that disease as contributing to what's ailing our world. If a person has something to say, say it. Don't beat around the bush.

FWIW, married 35 years, to a short blonde Swedish american, 5.4 110, she has no problems standing her ground either. In fact she's been heard using rather descriptive language herself, generally regarding me, from time to time.

Dirk
Sorry but there is little political correctness about knowing right from wrong in terms of degrading women or men with derogatory comments of describing a person by reducing them to a slang body part. As if that's is the only worth they have to you. If you and your wife use certain language around your house, I suppose that is your prerogative. But there is a mixed crowd here. Not everyone thinks as you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Uhmm... Perhaps it might help the odd person to know that "gash" IN THE NAVY means "waste material", "surplus material", "poor quality material" or simply "waste" as in the term "gash bucket"

How the term is used in American street speech is quite familiar to most of us, which is why we don't use it. EXCEPT when the context makes it clear that we are using it in the RN sense.

TrentePieds
I think from the aforementioned post, that was not the meaning and I think you know that.
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat partner's wife hates diesel smell RKO Monohull Sailboats 33 13-12-2012 11:02
No-Drama Sailing - Keeping the Spouse on the Boat UnlikelyVoyager General Sailing Forum 38 15-07-2012 11:14
Wife Hates Bugs ! Clinton Liveaboard's Forum 25 13-06-2012 09:56


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.