Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-01-2015, 12:43   #256

Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
.... "the American society" should celebrate a divorce for people who do not have children under the age of 18.

... "the American society" should not be pressuring them to stay married.
How is this related to nationality?

Old 26-01-2015, 13:21   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
How is this related to nationality?
Nothing, as far as I'm concerned. Some people think differently.

Read 198, 199, and 203 through 206.

Old 26-01-2015, 13:47   #258

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Sounds rational, but sorry I have been on a trawler in 30-40 foot seas on the Grand Banks during a hurricane. The boat did what it was designed and built to do! It came through the storm. Did I love it? No! I appreciated the fact it performed as was intended, it was a good stout vessel. Perhaps my reluctance to use the word love is semantic, but to me it is only used on living things. Call me old fashioned, "and old"
No wonder, nobody loves a trawler
Old 26-01-2015, 13:48   #259

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

For some reason I find myself without a lot of support for my pragmatic thinking,
I can't anthropomorphize or find human characterization in inanimate objects. Boats or other non-living objects cant have a soul, they cant reach out and protect their occupants, they provide shelter and protection as a function of their design and construction, not because they are caring. Sorry but this is enough B.S. philosophy, back to materialistic pragmatism.
Old 26-01-2015, 14:01   #260

Quote:
For some reason I find myself without a lot of support for my pragmatic thinking,
I can't anthropomorphize or find human characterization in inanimate objects. Boats or other non-living objects cant have a soul, they cant reach out and protect their occupants, they provide shelter and protection as a function of their design and construction, not because they are caring. Sorry but this is enough B.S. philosophy, back to materialistic pragmatism.
You are describing an ordinary production boat,. not a one it's owner has repaired and mainteined With his love.-- which is where the real problem lies, the spouse has turned into snowwhites stepmother becouse of jelousy.

My take for the PO: 1#Set the boat price so high it's unlikely to find new owner. 2#Get the the spouse to beauty shops and to plastic surgery if needed untill someone else will take her for free. 3#Go sailing
Old 26-01-2015, 14:09   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g
We sold our boat about 3 years ago-but the decision was not mutual. I loved to sail and loved our boat. She got us through storms and to beautiful sunsets. I can't explain why I love an inanimate object. I'm pretty logical except for this boat thing. Maybe we love what brings us pleasure-what gets the endorphins flowing. Or maybe it is from a past life I never saw an ocean or sailed until my 40's. OP~I hope however this works out for you, and you end up happy. Gloria
Perhaps it's not the object itself; rather, the opportunities it provides. Moreover, the boat may represent ideas and values, such as, freedom, nature, and adventure. Such thoughts about a boat causes one to see a boat as more than a boat and does explain some of the reasons why folks love boats.

I think you said it well in your post.
Old 26-01-2015, 14:43   #262

Teddydriver
Sorry but I simply cant share your point of view. I have been at sea over 50 years, many times in severe conditions always in boats I have put my heart and soul into, from simple re-fits to total refurbs, and most recently an abandoned derilect that my wife and I completely rebuilt from trash to a treasure. I still dont love it. I like it when I'm done working on it and looking forward to sailing it. But that said, I could sell it tomorrow and not even look back. Sorry, I cant get emotional about a thing!
Old 26-01-2015, 14:45   #263

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Quote:
...I can't anthropomorphize or find human characterization in inanimate objects. Boats or other non-living objects cant have a soul...
It has been said that fiberglass boats have a polyester soul. But I'm sure that was to differentiate it with the soul of a wooden boat, most heavily imbued with the spirits of its builders, by their own skilled hands. A peculiar quality exuded by a masterfully handcrafted work of the builders' art.

OTH, many have a tin ear for music. And many more have not yet learned how to let that special music move them in a way that can only be called love.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 14:48   #264

Quote:
Sorry, I cant get emotional about a thing!
No worries, me neither. But I understand if someone does
Old 26-01-2015, 15:27   #265

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Whilst in Hawaii, I worked for a private mental health organization. I have a background in human behavior. Must be why I ended up as a Toolmaker. We had clients who were bi-polar and were incapable of feeling love in relationships. I'm not sure if all of them were like that but the ones I met were.
Maybe it's the same with boats, relationships or anything for that matter.
People can go through life and never be diagnosed as such.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 15:32   #266

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Sounds rational, but sorry I have been on a trawler in 30-40 foot seas on the Grand Banks during a hurricane. The boat did what it was designed and built to do! It came through the storm. Did I love it? No! I appreciated the fact it performed as was intended, it was a good stout vessel. Perhaps my reluctance to use the word love is semantic, but to me it is only used on living things. Call me old fashioned, "and old"
And why would you be out in a hurricane? With all of the technology we have today, you pretty much, have to try hard to get caught up in one.
Old 26-01-2015, 16:18   #267

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Much of this is away from the original posting. No matter how much you love something, boats or whatever, in a relationship what you spend time with is interpreted as what you love. It is not just money, but a lot of time is spent making anything "bristol." I can't blame anyone for being upset if their partner is absent while pursuing a hobby, albeit a passionate one. I think I can say there are certain boats I like, and a few I "love," but if I am neglecting my wife, or if she feels I am neglecting her, then the onus is on me to help set things right. BTW the "love" I feel for an inanimate object is more an appreciation for all that it can do and how well it can do it. I used to "love" my old Citroen ID19 (anybody know those cars?), but I didn't cry when it was gone.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 16:56   #268

NT I think you should put your wife on the phone here. there are two sides to every story. To try to counsel with only half of the story never works. I think if we would hear from her and see the whole picture, we could provide the free counseling that would soon have you both moving in a more positive direction. C'mon put her on the phone!
Old 26-01-2015, 19:28   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
And why would you be out in a hurricane? With all of the technology we have today, you pretty much, have to try hard to get caught up in one.
Not a bad point but the year We were caught in that hurricane on our fishing boat was in the early sixties, its so long ago I can't quite remember what year it was. In those days you found out there was a hurricane When it hit you.
Old 26-01-2015, 22:05   #270

Boat: Catalina 30

lesterbutch:

I support your position.

jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: