Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 18:11   #226
Registered User
 
stillbuilding's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Posts: 889
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Well By my reading of this thread, I am surprised that there have been very few snide comments and the few acid generalities about women have been made from men with a reasoned analysis about the complexities of relationships than about women per se. Always room for some dark humour when it comes to relationships!


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 18:33   #227
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,284
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Individuals in relationships often simply grow apart.
__________________

__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 19:26   #228
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,695
Images: 5
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
i guess if you'd rather work on a boat than a marriage, that's one issue. As to anthromorphizing a boat, that's something I am reluctant to put a label on.
Oh come on man!...That's the best you can do?...my boat or my relationship? You don't think I can do both? And besides...you have a friggin Alden. Probably some of the most gorgeous boats ever to see water....
Ok everybody...group hug for Illusion
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 19:33   #229
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,695
Images: 5
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Now you are getting all gushy again! Lol good story!
This probably explains why I end up single handing.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 20:08   #230
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,647
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Individuals in relationships often simply grow apart.
Yes, of course, but... a relationship is a garden. If you don't keep tending it, it will stop producing and will certainly go to weed.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 20:42   #231
Registered User
 
S/V Illusion's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FLORIDA
Boat: Alden 50 in Narragansett Bay, RI
Posts: 1,552
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh come on man!...That's the best you can do?...my boat or my relationship? You don't think I can do both? And besides...you have a friggin Alden. Probably some of the most gorgeous boats ever to see water....
Ok everybody...group hug for Illusion
I was simply paraphrasing your last comments.

As to the most gorgeous boat, I think that title belongs to Gozzard.
__________________
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 20:47   #232
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,284
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
...As to the most gorgeous boat, I think that title belongs to Gozzard.
__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 23:23   #233
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 130
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
i guess if you'd rather work on a boat than a marriage, that's one issue. As to anthromorphizing a boat, that's something I am reluctant to put a label on.
I'm pretty sure you just did.
__________________
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 23:25   #234
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 130
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Well By my reading of this thread, I am surprised that there have been very few snide comments and the few acid generalities about women have been made from men with a reasoned analysis about the complexities of relationships than about women per se. Always room for some dark humour when it comes to relationships!


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yeah, I'm still looking for the "woman hating". Can't find it.
__________________
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 02:43   #235
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Enkhuizen, NL
Boat: Pearson 36-1
Posts: 246
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
No, Celestial,

I don't want to pick on anyone in particular. What gets to me is when it sounds as if some of the posters write without any thought of how they appear to the women on the forum and the Europeans, too. The general tone degrades.

Most guys will not speak up for the general humanity of the women. And, of course, "once burned, twice shy", I can understand how someone who had been mixed up with a hateful, vindictive woman would not want to have another relationship with a woman. The failed relationship woes generally cut both ways, as many abused women could attest. In spite of the potential for a relationship not working out, most people [statistically] prefer to be in relationships with a member of the other gender.

Verbally being snide about women or denigrating them on an international, public forum is distasteful for me to read.
For every angry, vindictive woman there is usually some male who is an incorrigible hound dog. Guys that cheat on their wives shouldn't be surprised when the woman gets and stays angry.

Sailing is a time consuming activity, if it is clear to one spouse that the other is a sailor, golfer or into gokarts, and enjoys all the related responsibilities and activities, a good partner will either join in the activity or find something enjoyable to occupy their time when their mate is doing "their" thing.

Although my wife enjoys being on the water, she doesn't feel the urge to paint the bottom, varnish the teak or otherwise contribute to the maintenance of the boat. OK, but she doesn't have a hissy fit when I go off with my sons or others on a six week cruise during the boys vacation.

My boys have six weeks in the summer and three - two week holidays during the school year. I decide where I/we go in the summer and she decides where we go in the other six weeks. It's all about compromise.

Without compromising, no relationship will work, sailor or knot.
__________________
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:34   #236
Senior Cruiser
 
Julie Mor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 401
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Reason, Season, or Lifetime

Sailboats come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
When you figure out which one it is,
you will know what to do for each sailboat.

When a sailboat is in your life for a REASON,
it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
It has come to assist you through a difficulty;
to provide you with guidance and support;
to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
It may seem like a godsend, and it is.
That sailboat is there for the reason you need it to be.

Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
this sailboat will end the relationship.
Sometimes it sinks. Sometimes it tries to break you financially.
Sometimes it acts up and forces you to take a stand.
What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; the sailboat's work is done.

The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some sailboats come into your life for a SEASON,
because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
It brings you an experience of peace or makes you happy.
It may teach you something you have never known or forced you to do something you never thought you could.
It usually gives you an unbelievable amount of joy.
Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.

Sailboats that are there for a LIFETIME teach you lifetime lessons;
things you must build upon in order to have a solid personal foundation.
Your job is to accept the lesson, love the sailboat,
and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.

It is said that love is blind but a sailboat is clairvoyant.

- Unknown Sailor

__________________
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:48   #237
Registered User
 
Sandero's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Westchester/Northport LI
Boat: Shiva - Contest 36s
Posts: 4,016
Re: Spouse hates my boat

thanks Julie!
__________________
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 10:05   #238
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Enkhuizen, NL
Boat: Pearson 36-1
Posts: 246
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Reason, Season, or Lifetime

Sailboats come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
When you figure out which one it is,
you will know what to do for each sailboat.

When a sailboat is in your life for a REASON,
it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
It has come to assist you through a difficulty;
to provide you with guidance and support;
to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
It may seem like a godsend, and it is.
That sailboat is there for the reason you need it to be.

Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
this sailboat will end the relationship.
Sometimes it sinks. Sometimes it tries to break you financially.
Sometimes it acts up and forces you to take a stand.
What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; the sailboat's work is done.

The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some sailboats come into your life for a SEASON,
because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
It brings you an experience of peace or makes you happy.
It may teach you something you have never known or forced you to do something you never thought you could.
It usually gives you an unbelievable amount of joy.
Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.

Sailboats that are there for a LIFETIME teach you lifetime lessons;
things you must build upon in order to have a solid personal foundation.
Your job is to accept the lesson, love the sailboat,
and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.

It is said that love is blind but a sailboat is clairvoyant.

- Unknown Sailor

That is really nice what you wrote. I have a symbiotic relationship with Skylark. I hope we are together for a long time and that she takes care of my boys after I am gone.
__________________
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 10:50   #239
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Antelope, CA
Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'
Posts: 105
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Ann T. Cate. Why is it that women are always the abused ones and never the abusers? This sounds like it may be a case of a woman abusing this poor, wonderful boat loving guy. Europeans? Men and women in Europe don't have these issues? Hmmmm I never new that. I thought that is why Chris Columbus left Spain, to get away from an abusing woman. Queen something or other, Issy, I think.
__________________
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 11:52   #240
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Saint Lucie county FLa
Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Posts: 307
Re: Spouse hates my boat

I'm sorry but all this emotional crap about boats leaves me cold. I can be emotional about my wife, or even a dog or cat, but not about a conglomeration of fiberglass, metal and paint! It's an inanimate object!
__________________

__________________
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat partner's wife hates diesel smell RKO Monohull Sailboats 33 13-12-2012 11:02
No-Drama Sailing - Keeping the Spouse on the Boat UnlikelyVoyager General Sailing Forum 38 15-07-2012 11:14
Wife Hates Bugs ! Clinton Liveaboard's Forum 25 13-06-2012 09:56


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.