https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:46   #47

Boat: Sadler 26
Re: Sleeping during long passage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady 50 View Post
Hello every one.
I'm planing a trip from Bris to NZ later this year on my Brady 50 Passage maker.
I'm trying to work out how to arrange SLEEP.

How do you "Single Hands Folks" get sleep????
I just sailed singlehanded from Cape Town, South Africa to Cabedelo, Brazil, and I slept as much as possible and whenever I wanted. AIS alarms were all I needed to keep me safe. When I’m coastal sailing I try be awake once every hour, just to check horizon for fishing vessels and compass
ErikSteenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:12   #48

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikSteenberg View Post
I just sailed singlehanded from Cape Town, South Africa to Cabedelo, Brazil, and I slept as much as possible and whenever I wanted. AIS alarms were all I needed to keep me safe. When I’m coastal sailing I try be awake once every hour, just to check horizon for fishing vessels and compass
So in case of a vessel without AIS like let's say my boat you would t be alarmed .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:47   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

I have talked to people who say that they sleep only for half an hour, you wont last long like that, eventually, you will sleep for a long time, and you won't care whats going on. I spent a year on my boat single handing from North Carolina, to Bermuda, then the Caribbean, then back to Bermuda, and then Scotland. As time went on, I started to sleep for a full eight hours, but I did try to sleep mainly during the day, and be on watch at night. I did though during that time, come close to hitting another yacht, I had to alter and that was half way between Bermuda and Antigua, it going south, me going north, it was night, and no one was in the cockpit, thats how close I was, If I had been asleep too, it could have been nasty. The person on that boat (like all other single handers) probably claims he only sleeps for half an hour at a time.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:08   #50

Boat: Cal 2-46

Hi Grumps.
I’ve done many deliveries. Rarely paid for food. Never paid for diesel. Always paid for my own grog.
Usually pay my own airfares.
Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:23   #51

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:-7.9/zoom:2

Heres what you're missing while asleep...like playing frogger with the boat.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:29   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sleeping during long passage.

Looks worse than it is..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:46   #53

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Much, much less than this. It obviously depends on the height of your eye and the height of the freighter. A couple of formulas help

For Imperial
SquareRoot(Height above surface in feet / 0.5736) = distance to horizon in miles (not nautical)

For metric
SquareRoot(height above surface in centimetres / 6.752) = distance to horizon in kilometres

So if your eye is 7 feet about the sea you can only see about 3.2 miles. If a ship is 25 high, keep in mind the bulk of the ship will be below this height, although lights could be higher. In any case, 25 feet means the horizon is about 6.6 miles. Add these two together and you can see the 25 foot above part of the ship at a little less than 10 miles or about 8.5 nautical miles.
==================================
question
I always have radar on my cruising boats,however question the specs telling about the working range.
Understand the height on the dome unit will determine the possible max range and yet even half way a mast numbers do not seem to match the advertised range.
I just purchased a new radar and of course debating between transom vs mast,I know the higher the better but worth it?
In summary
A 20 miles range radar? true?
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 14:16   #54
Marine Service Provider

My longest single handed passage was Honolulu to Tarawa (1984) in what was called the Gilbert Islands. Now Kiribati pronounced Kiri-Bass. 28 day and 28 nights. No engine. 27 Albin Vega. I brought one bottle of Irish Whisky (26 ounces) and had a single ounce every sunset or at least for 26 of the 28 sunsets. Then I would have dinner and fill and light my oil lantern and hang it in the back stay and off to bed I went. I would sleep for 8 or 10 hours and as I woke and when I woke during the night ? I rose and popped my head out through the hatch and had a gander towards the horizon and back to bed. I was happy to have a Radar Reflector mounted on the absolute top of my mast. In 28 days I never saw another vessel. Never saw a jet stream not even a plastic coffee cup? Nothing, nada, zip, zero. However with this said ? You will be on a much more busy shipping lane area to consider of course. I would imagine you will need to pop your head up every hour or two(?) and expect to meet numerous other craft.

Good Luck with your trip and let us know how ye managed !!!
Breffni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 14:48   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:-7.9/zoom:2

Heres what you're missing while asleep...like playing frogger with the boat.

If those boat icons were to scale, it would be a very different picture
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 16:06   #56

Boat: Brady Passage Maker 50'

Hello there yes I OK and thanks for yr concerns. I have had to delay trip timing due to getting an electronics engineer on board. I want ALL the electronic devices to talk to each other.

I am enjoying all the responses, some not so much but thats what forums are all about.

Happy & Save Boating Ann
Brady 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 16:16   #57
Marine Service Provider

My pleasure Ann and hope mine was enjoyed!!!!
Breffni
Breffni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 16:17   #58

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I can only comment based on my most recent race where we ran 2 on 2 off shifts. By day 5 I personally was more than fried. Ymmv
Old 06-07-2018, 16:53   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
If those boat icons were to scale, it would be a very different picture

Quite true...and it does seem the NW passage lends itself to single handing as very little traffic there.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 17:05   #60

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb

I ended up single handing for the first and unexpected time from Manzanillo to Hawaii because both pickk-up crew were psychotic and waiting two weeks for more crew and no guarantee of fitness with hurricane season coming didn't seem wise. I tried the 20 minute, 30 minute, 1 hour and 2 hour. Fortunately, by the time I found out they didn't work for me I was beyond the shipping lanes.

After that I depended on AIS and wind/navigation alarms. For 21 of the 23 day passage I didn't see another ship, airplane, and only 1 barnacle covered water bottle for trash. I slept whenever I was tired until I woke up. Sometimes with a wind change or alarm, sometimes for 8 hours. Sometimes because there was a new noise or motion change. I have radar, but it has never been very good at picking up traffic and I get a lot of false alarms. So I didn't think the power drain was worth it.

Now, I've stepped up to a chart plotter I can look at through an ipad from anywhere on the ship. If I wake up I can see all the relevant electronic information without stirring from bed and becoming fully awake or getting my eyes adjusted to the light.

The hardest part of the passage was the last 100 miles into Hawaii when I stayed up out of respect for possible traffic. Even so I was 10 nm from port when I saw my first vessel.

All life is a risk and we each have to determine our own tolerance. water sailing">Blue water sailing with a full crew and 24 hr watches is something many people wouldn't even consider. Not much of anything is really guaranteed. YMMV.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage