Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 19:28   #1

Boat: 1996 IP40
Single point reefing

Just bought a "new to us" boat, IP 40. Reefing lines were not attached at the mast. Discovered twisted lines in the boom, called a riiggr, and his solution was to install a new boom, 2k plus.. I was able to set it all up as described in the original owners manual, but want to be sure it's going to work long term. The rigger stated that the cars in the boom are going to hang up because of the design, they are not attached to tracks in the boom, and therefore are subject to line twisting. Do I just deal with the twisting the lines over and over, or just buy a new boom? Of course there are many other other issues to work out with this 1996 IP 40,, maybe more important than the time required to untwist the lines now and then. Ideas and suggestions appreciated.
DosAmantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 19:57   #2

Re: Single point reefing

Too often OEM booms with in boom lines have swiveling blocks. Buy non swiveling blocks and ti will work just fine. Riggers advice? Dumb and costly and unnecessary.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 20:27   #3

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosAmantes View Post
Just bought a "new to us" boat, IP 40. Reefing lines were not attached at the mast. Discovered twisted lines in the boom, called a riiggr, and his solution was to install a new boom, 2k plus.. I was able to set it all up as described in the original owners manual, but want to be sure it's going to work long term. The rigger stated that the cars in the boom are going to hang up because of the design, they are not attached to tracks in the boom, and therefore are subject to line twisting. Do I just deal with the twisting the lines over and over, or just buy a new boom? Of course there are many other other issues to work out with this 1996 IP 40,, maybe more important than the time required to untwist the lines now and then. Ideas and suggestions appreciated.

I am a fan of external cheek blocks and line guides for reefing.

A KISS thing for a very important bit of kit.
Old 10-07-2016, 21:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'm not following how your reefing is rigged??? Is it internal lines the boom. If the lines are wrapped around each other there will be friction and the possibility of wraps, and jamming. Would be a good idea to straighten them out which will require pulling the boom so you can rotate it and probably removing the ends.

Not a fan of single reefing if that what it is. Too much line to pull and sharp angles with friction that will make reefing tedious and slow. Two line reefing is much more efficient if you are running the lines to the cockpit. Single line at the mast is a non starter as you just have to drop the sail and hook the tack ring on the hook and then deal with the clew.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 21:34   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Tell your rigger to take a hike, no wonder yachts are expensive. You don't need a new boom, just re-rig it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 15:09   #6

Boat: 1996 IP40

Thanks all for the information. The reefing lines are internal. Turns out I was able to fix it myself simply by untwisting the lined at the back of the boom. The blocks inside the boom are solid, not swiveling. Im sure at some point I may need to repeat the process.

Fair Winds
DosAmantes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single