Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 14:39   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Simple Pleasures: Fire on the Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbird View Post
Yeah, nothing I like better than landing my dinghy on a remote, pristine white sand beach....with a big black smudge pot of somebody else's bonfire smack in the middle of it.
Take nothing but photo's leave nothing but footprints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Beautiful pictures. Unfortunately, it's illegal in some countries to make fire on the beach, at least at night. Just don't get caught.

And it can be dangerous, too, even deadly: close to my homeport, people were making a fire and there has been an explosion, probably from some unexploded ordnance from WWII (the area was heavily mined, bombed and shelled). One man died: Beach blast kills one | News24

Alain
It is incredible... no matter how innocuous the subject, folks will find ways to denigrate the practice.

Really, guys, thousands of beach fires world wide every single day and one blows up, so we gotta wear flack vests and helmets before lighting up?

And horrible wood ash on a beach? How disgusting... we need an action group to protest this activity, possibly a UN resolution and anti-beach fire troops world wide.

Lighten up, folks. Practice safe fire extinguishing, don't build them where there is a chance of starting a bush fire, but don't hyperventilate about environmental scarring or lighting off ordinance remnants.

Jim
Old 03-11-2014, 14:42   #17

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Now you know where to have your fire....
Yes in fact I do...In the barbecue grill on the back of MY OWN BOAT where no one else has to deal with my left over fire pit...or scattered refuse. If a place is beautiful and untouched...leave it that way for others to enjoy. Sorry, pet peeve of mine how people trash the beaches and think it's just fine.
sugarbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 14:52   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ya know, sugarbird,

You're getting really close to being "not nice" here. You're implying that Noelex and his mermaid were leaving trash behind. Why on earth would you make that assumption? You do realize this event occurred in Greece? As to ashes on your boat, well, they do bucket off. I don't like ashes on my boat, I'll grant you that, but let's see a little "live and let live here," eh? No need to get snotty, I hope.

Ann
Old 03-11-2014, 14:58   #19

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbird View Post
Yes in fact I do...In the barbecue grill on the back of MY OWN BOAT where no one else has to deal with my left over fire pit...or scattered refuse. If a place is beautiful and untouched...leave it that way for others to enjoy. Sorry, pet peeve of mine how people trash the beaches and think it's just fine.
lighten up....lol...
Old 03-11-2014, 17:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ya know, sugarbird,

You're getting really close to being "not nice" here. You're implying that Noelex and his mermaid were leaving trash behind. Why on earth would you make that assumption? You do realize this event occurred in Greece? As to ashes on your boat, well, they do bucket off. I don't like ashes on my boat, I'll grant you that, but let's see a little "live and let live here," eh? No need to get snotty, I hope.

Ann
I agree with you, especially about the live and let live.

I really enjoy a campfire, I have a SS wash tub to have the fire in, for better containment and more heat per log. However, I was kind of surprised at noelex77's assertion about the bigger the fire, the bigger the idiot. That kinda smacked of telling other people how small to build their fire. In keeping with the live and let live, I wouldn't say anything to someone else about their fire unless embers were blowing towards dried grass, etc. I don't think anyone has the right to dictate fire size to someone else unless it's some sort of local regulation.

I know a guy who is compelled to keep adding wood to the fire until it can be seen from the ISS. I tease him about it a lot, but my only real requirement is that he bring his own wood to burn, don't burn all of mine up on the first night, like he did that first time. LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 19:37   #21

ditto ditto !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
It is incredible... no matter how innocuous the subject, folks will find ways to denigrate the practice.

Really, guys, thousands of beach fires world wide every single day and one blows up, so we gotta wear flack vests and helmets before lighting up?

And horrible wood ash on a beach? How disgusting... we need an action group to protest this activity, possibly a UN resolution and anti-beach fire troops world wide.

Lighten up, folks. Practice safe fire extinguishing, don't build them where there is a chance of starting a bush fire, but don't hyperventilate about environmental scarring or lighting off ordinance remnants.

Jim

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 19:49   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

It's not even scarring. The tide comes in and hey presto, good as new. Seems a petty and selfish grievance, or mucho groucho, trying to stop somebody having a bit of harmless and possibly romantic pleasure.

Coops.
Old 03-11-2014, 22:35   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Let me say firstly that I hate people leaving rubbish. Campfires do seem to be a source of problems with people placing non combustable things like cans in fires for reasons I have never really understood. Do they think these things burn?

Anyway, this is easily avoided. Don't leave rubbish. Even better, while you are collecting the driftwood grab a few bits extra of plastic garbage and take them back to the boat. There is always some washed up on even the most remote beach. Some of the timber that we burn is actually rubbish as well. Bits of an unsightly broken palate that had been washed ashore provided some of the timber for our last fire. It's not hard to leave the beach in better condition than you found it.

As far as the leaving the blackened ashes behind, yes it's a fair point, that should be considered in more populated areas. Sailing takes us to some very remote spots. The current beach is on a largish island with a population of only 50. There is no road, or even track down to the beach. The nearest "town" is is an hour twenty minutes away, walking over some steep rocks that involve some serious climbing in parts. It is not a spot overrun with people fighting for a nice spot to sun-bake.

As far as my statement "The bigger the fire the bigger the idiot", I am sorry if that offended anyone. It was a safety message aimed at fire "beginners" that might be prompted by the thread to give a fire a try. Most people that have had little experience with campfires initially build something that is too big and can quickly get out of control.

Put some large stones behind the fire to reflect the radiant heat and a small fire can work very well. Experienced campers of course will know how to build an appropriate fire and don't need any tips from me. They can judge what is safe, or not, depending on the clearance from surrounding materials etc.

If starting out, small is good.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Let me say firstly that I hate people leaving rubbish. Campfires do seem to be a source of problems with people placing non combustable things like cans in fires for reasons I have never really understood. Do they think these things burn?

Anyway, this is easily avoided. Don't leave rubbish. Even better, while you are collecting the driftwood grab a few bits extra of plastic garbage and take them back to the boat. There is always some washed up on even the most remote beach. Some of the timber that we burn is actually rubbish as well. Bits of an unsightly broken palate that had been washed ashore provided some of the timber for our last fire. It's not hard to leave the beach in better condition than you found it.

As far as the leaving the blackened ashes behind, yes it's a fair point, that should be considered in more populated areas. Sailing takes us to some very remote spots. The current beach is on a largish island with a population of only 50. There is no road, or even track down to the beach. The nearest "town" is is an hour twenty minutes away, walking over some steep rocks that involve some serious climbing in parts. It is not a spot overrun with people fighting for a nice spot to sun-bake.

As far as my statement "The bigger the fire the bigger the idiot", I am sorry if that offended anyone. It was a safety message aimed at fire "beginners" that might be prompted by the thread to give a fire a try. Most people that have had little experience with campfires initially build something that is too big and can quickly get out of control. Put some large stones behind the fire to reflect the radiant heat and a small fire can work very well. Experienced campers of course will know how to build an appropriate fire and don't need any tips from me. They can judge what is safe, or not, depending on the clearance from surrounding materials etc. If starting out, small is good.

I know you were on a beach and I usually have campfires in the desert. If I do have a bonfire on the beach, it's in a cement fire ring provided by the city, the only place allowed on the beach around here.

As a general rule, I don't burn pallets because they are held together with a few hundred brads per pallet, once the wood burns, even 1/2 of a pallet leaves 1-200 brads behind, with the ensuing danger of getting stuck in someone's foot or in my case, flattening a tire.

I carry a magnet on a telescoping pole, they sell it at Harbor Freight for $9. So many people have left behind nails for decades in the camping area that we use the telescoping magnet to protect my expensive tires from punctures. A few years ago they outlawed burning any wood with fasteners in them, but we're still going to be dealing with nails from the last few decades for the next few decades.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:14   #25

I carry some Duraflame logs in the trailer, in addition to roughly 200 lbs of firewood (mostly oak and eucalyptus.) We use the duraflames for areas like the top of a sand dune or high traffic areas where we don't want to leave any partially burned wood. We break it up with a hammer, then light it. This way a 6 hr log burns in about 2 hrs, but 3 times brighter. It's not as hot as a hardwood fire, but it leaves virtually nothing behind if allowed to finish burning.
Old 04-11-2014, 13:11   #26

Bonfires on the beach at nite are some of the best things in the world and most of the time when the right bunch of people are there the place will be left with less rubbish than when ye arrived
Old 04-11-2014, 14:41   #27

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I am sorry if I offended somebody with my comment. This wasn't my intent. I just wanted to highlight that a fire isn't permitted on some beaches and that it can be dangerous in some, hopefully rare, places.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 00:36   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I am sorry if I offended somebody with my comment. This wasn't my intent. I just wanted to highlight that a fire isn't permitted on some beaches and that it can be dangerous in some, hopefully rare, places.

Alain
No worries!

You were right to point that out, we must obey the local laws wherever we go. It's unfortunate that some beaches are still littered with unexploded ordnance.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:06   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
It's not even scarring. The tide comes in and hey presto, good as new. Seems a petty and selfish grievance, or mucho groucho, trying to stop somebody having a bit of harmless and possibly romantic pleasure.

Coops.
Romantic pleasure? hahahahahaha. I once took a young lady to a secluded beach. The outboard packed up and we spent 2 hours rowing. When we go there, we were hot and sweaty. A quick swim... got the fire going, and then proceeded to get smoke blackened from the wood.

It wasnt romantic but the memory lingers.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:18   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I can see it now! The failed romantic interlude on the beach where the sand got where it shouldn't.....way uncomfortable! Pls. tell me there were no witnesses!

A.