Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 00:27   #16

Boat: too many
Re: Sign the petition to prosecute the Lake County Sheriff that killed the sailor

In respect to what Richard5 has posted, I sent off this email to a local Lake County newspaper reporter who was inquiring to who is behind this petition.

tip of the iceberg RE; Perdock Friday, November 2, 2012 12:14 AM
From: "Robert Lemke" <robert-lemke@att.net>View contact details
To: jwalsh@record-bee.com

Jeremy Walsh,

This is to inform you that the world wide sailing community has not forgotten the miscarriage of justice stemming from the the 2006 deadly accident Perdock was responsible for.

I live 2 hours from Clear Lake. I have wanted to buy my retirement home on the lake. After talking with residents I have discovered a large, retired LEO community at Clear Lake and while I would normally consider such a community a safe place to retire, this "good old boys" network for your area has convinced me otherwise.

Respectfully,

Robert P Lemke

It would be a good thing for others on this forum to take the time to send an email to this reporter jwalsh@record-bee.com letting him know that even though 6 years later, we in the sailing community are still looking for justice.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:31   #17
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Signed

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:05   #18

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Sign the petition to prosecute the Lake County Sheriff that killed the sailor

signed

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:10   #19

With respect to the letter to the journalist, I have always considered what influence a signator from out of the area would hold. I know that in my own community (a remarkably scenic beachside with many absentee owners or others with an interest looking to buy after retirement) many who do live fulltime in the community would cast a suspicious eye on those who have some interest but do not live there.

As for the tragic accident, as terrible was the death of an innocent woman even more so was the actions of Perdock under color of authority. That is to say, Perdock is guilty of not only homicide but criminal negligence and conspiricy to cover up the crime. That covering is perhaps the more onerous charge.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:06   #20

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress

Signed

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:08   #21

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Petition signed.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I've signed the petition.

I have spent most of my life outside the U.S., so I've seen this kind of abuse of power before, but I never thought that someone could get away with it in the U.S. It is outrageous and people should not stand for it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:37   #23

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Signed
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:49   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Signed.

Also, didn't Dinius file a civil suit? What happened with that, still pending or denied? Sure would be good for him to recover some damages to help get his life back together.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:59   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

I signed it. But doubt that non-local petitioners hold any sway with the local polticians etc. If they were going to do something they would have, not come up with a new position for the person!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:08   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Defendant Perdock Motion to Dismiss rejected.

Document 80 :: Dinius v. Perdock et al :: 3:2010cv03498 :: California Northern District Court :: US Federal District Courts Cases :: Justia

This means the criminal suit initiated by Dinius (he was at the helm of the sailboat) is moving forward. District Attorney of Lake County is denied prosecutorial immunity.
It's a civil, not a criminal suit (there's actually no such thing as a "criminal suit"). Dinius asserts a bunch of different civil claims against Lake County, Perdock, and various former Lake County officials. The claims involve malicious prosecution, conspiracy to violate his Constitutional rights, supression of exculpatory evidence, violation of due process, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and others. The court dismissed a number of Dinius' claims, but refused to dismiss a number of others. It accepted some of the defendants' arguments but rejected a bunch of others. The claim of prosecutorial immunity was a rather small part of the whole picture -- the defendants brought forth dozens of reasons to dismiss the various claims of Dinius.

The significance of this ruling is that Dinius' case has partially withstood the initial barrage of motions to dismiss and will go on to the next stage.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:11   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
With respect to the letter to the journalist, I have always considered what influence a signator from out of the area would hold. I know that in my own community (a remarkably scenic beachside with many absentee owners or others with an interest looking to buy after retirement) many who do live fulltime in the community would cast a suspicious eye on those who have some interest but do not live there.
I would say that, on the contrary, the interest in the case from people from all over the country and, in fact, the world, should be especially alarming to the culprits. It means that you cannot get away with this sort of thing without a rather wide beam of public attention being focussed on you.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:05   #28

On my forum one of our NZ members signed, and thanks to all who have signed the petition.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:10   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I know this sounds really cynical but the legal system is not going to consider a petition. Don't get me wrong, this cowboy boat cop (not a trained professional mariner) was clearly in the wrong and deserves to be prosecuted and thrown in jail for a long time...just the same as what would happen if a civilian did the same thing. Being a cop is no excuse for recklessness. Apparently though the good old boys who run Lake County law enforcement think it is an excuse. They protect their own even and that's how it is. Legal?...maybe. Ethical?...hell no.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:09   #30

David,

All we can do is let Lake County know that this is still on the minds of a lot of people. The fact that he not only to date has he gotten away with this, but is now employed on the local Fire Board. I can't help but believe if people keep hounding Lake County officials, some justice will be served. I would hope if I was a victim of this abuse of power, others would step up for me.