Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-11-2012, 15:19   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Sign the petition to prosecute the Lake County Sheriff that killed the sailor

For those who are concerned about the "drunken sail boat operator"...

Exactly what would this person have done differently if he was "sober"? That is, if his BA was only .07% instead of .09%. He was sailing very slowly, running lights on (according to impartial witnesses). As far as I can see, there was NOTHING he could have done to prevent being run down.

So, Sabray, saying that there was a "drunk" in charge of the boat is perhaps true in the legal sense, but surely not in any practical sense.

Cheers,

Jim

Old 10-11-2012, 15:44   #77
cruiser

Re: Sign the petition to prosecute the Lake County Sheriff that killed the sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Exactly what would this person have done differently if he was "sober"? That is, if his BA was only .07% instead of .09%. He was sailing very slowly, running lights on (according to impartial witnesses). As far as I can see, there was NOTHING he could have done to prevent being run down.

So, Sabray, saying that there was a "drunk" in charge of the boat is perhaps true in the legal sense, but surely not in any practical sense.

Cheers,

Jim
I don't know if it helped but as a dutchman i signed also the petition.

In my opinion; a drunken driver of a powerboat is an operator of a letal waepon....... Policeman or not!!!!!

I hope they put him in jail and throw a way the key.

CeesH

Old 10-11-2012, 17:18   #78

Boat: too many

A Dutchman signing it is just fine, lets them know the world is watching, thanks.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 18:48   #79

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
sabray, Bismarck Dinius was a friend of the owner that just happened to be on the tiller and was marginally over California's 0.08%. Witnesses on shore that were questioned said the sailboat had lights on plus later inspection showed that the filaments had stretched which indicates it was hot upon impact. Witnesses from the Conocti Club reported Russell Perdock had been drinking continuously that afternoon before taking off in his speed boat at dark.

This is such a open and shut case, it is hard to defend either the DA or sheriff's department in the handling of this case.
I saw the evidence and followed this.. The owner of the boat who was intoxicated was on board. There was excess drinking on the boat and the owner operator was drunk. Stretched filament is not a good indication. Owner should clearly recall having light on. I turn nav lights on and check yes they are on. It's a deliberate action. Not one I am not sure of. Bad accident handled poorly. My position has been the owner was aboard and was not sober. 2 idiots on the water and 1 death,
Just can't exited over dumb drunks on the water.
Old 10-11-2012, 19:06   #80

Boat: PETERSON 44
In my opinion the guy nearest the tiller was not in charge. The owner who was aboard and was drunk is in charge.. Can this guy clearly verify yes I had running lights on. No he cannot. Why because he was way past .008 percent. Owner was on board and well beyond 1 beer. Now had he been sober and could recall and verify lights were on whole different story
Not so open and shut.
Old 10-11-2012, 19:31   #81

Thank you for bringing this out-I was unaware of this case. This is a huge miscarriage of justice. I signed the petition and sent the letter. I believe with enough pressure, things can change. Can't believe the press didn't cover and bring the cowards to light.
Old 10-11-2012, 22:41   #82

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Cheers,

Jim
If the sailboat was on the hook and everyone was in the dinghy the drunk would still have hit it. It was mealy a question of wrong place, wrong time. I'm sure the CG would have handled this differently for instance on SF Bay or Lake Michigan. We've probably all seen this irresponsible guy nearly hit us or some other boat and wondered how long it would take for him to wreck somebody. I had one nearly cream us in daylight as we tried to maneuver into our slip. Probably drunk, leaving the bar/restaurant in a 60 foot power yacht, ignored our horn signals, hand signals, 5 blast warning signals twice, flip me off and called me an as------. Witnesses on the dock told him to leave the area and never come back.
Old 11-11-2012, 00:09   #83

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
this guy clearly verify yes I had running lights on. No he cannot. Why because he was way past .008 percent. Owner was on board and well beyond 1 beer. Now had he been sober and could recall and verify lights were on whole different story
Not so open and shut.
I always enjoy how people can ask questions and give themselves their own answer. Like all of a sudden it becomes gospel because they believe it. I feel like I'm being scolded by some Victorian parent.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 00:15   #84

Boat: Dufour35 1982

Friggin Unbelievable. But then you guys still have Guantanamo Bay! We had a Polish Immigrant Tazzered to death in Vancouver Airport. Still waiting for the official report.

I would sign a petion but How? can not find it on any of the links provided.
Old 11-11-2012, 00:26   #85

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Friggin Unbelievable. But then you guys still have Guantanamo Bay! We had a Polish Immigrant Tazzered to death in Vancouver Airport. Still waiting for the official report.

I would sign a petion but How? can not find it on any of the links provided.
I believe it is till here....
http://www.change.org/petitions/lake...-lynn-thornton
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 22:13   #86

Boat: too many

This message is from Rory Kremer who started the petition "Lake County, California Board of Supervisors, & D. A., Don Anderson: Prosecute former Deputy Russell Perdock for the death of Lynn Thornton.," which you signed on Change.org.
Hello and thanks for signing our petition asking for justice in the death of our friend, fellow sailor, and family member Lynn Thornton.
Lynn died the hands of Russell Perdock, then Chief Dept. Sheriff for Lake County in a boating incident in which he was blatantly neglegent. Perdock has never been charged for any crime in association with her death, and has since been named to another Lake County position of responsibility. Anyone else would still either be in or under the jail...but not Perdock.
We are so very close to the 1000 signature mark on our petition which we are hoping for and could sure use the help of everyone who has a minute or two to pass this message on to there friends, family, or others who believe that justice should not be forgotten for Lynn's family.
Once we have hit this milestone of 1000 signatures, the names and comments will be hard copied and hand delivered to the Lake County District Attorney, Don Anderson, and the Lake County Board of Supervisors with the hopes of convening a grand jury to hear the matter.
Thanks again for all of your efforts, sharing our change.org petition on your Facebook front page, sharing our site info with your friends, and discussing this issue so it is not forgotten.
Sincerely,
Rory Kremer

Down to the last 100 signatures, 90% done.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:48   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I saw the evidence and followed this.. The owner of the boat who was intoxicated was on board. There was excess drinking on the boat and the owner operator was drunk. Stretched filament is not a good indication. Owner should clearly recall having light on. I turn nav lights on and check yes they are on. It's a deliberate action. Not one I am not sure of. Bad accident handled poorly. My position has been the owner was aboard and was not sober. 2 idiots on the water and 1 death,
Just can't exited over dumb drunks on the water.
Please forgive my newbie question here. Let's take the alcohol out of the mix for a minute.
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that maritime law states that the boat under sail has the right of way over all boats under power. Is that correct? And if so, doesn't that put the powerboat operator in the wrong?
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:25   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yes, but in the civil action is not where we really want to see justice prevail. It would be nice if it prevailed everywhere, particularly in the criminal courts where a real message can be sent. Police should be held to a higher standard, they have sworn an oath to serve and protect. When they choose to do the opposite the retribution should be swift and harsh to send a message and prevent more of the same. This sort of case just encourages those in positions of authority to abuse said authority and believe there will be no consequence for their actions. No mercy for crooked cops! It's far too common in this country, and this is why. We need more petitions like this one to let them know that the people are watching what they do and have a long memory. It's not much but it's better than nothing.
I agree entirely, but the case still has to be proven. In criminal cases, the standard of proof is higher -- "beyond a reasonable doubt". And that is at it should be. Based on reading some news reports which may or may not have been biased, in one direction or the other, we can't know all the little details of the case. Of course we are entitled to our opinions and, even, our outrage, but the guilt or innocence of the person in question will be decided not by our outrage, but according to proper criminal procedure in proper courts. In this case it may be too late -- the statute may have run. Well, that's life. I did sign the petition.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:29   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm not seeing how having strong opinions on an electronic form of communicating is some how a lynch mob. I mean in reality, we're not boing to send out an electronic noose and hand the Sherrif.
Correct, of course!

I am just trying to remind everyone that despite the fact that the nature of the case may seem obvious to all of us (and it seems obvious to me), there are still two sides to the story, and we should be glad the Jeremiahson weighed in on the other side.

"Obvious to us" doesn't necessarily mean "guilty".

Of course the petition does not seek to form a lynch mob, but rather bring the man to a fair trial.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38   #90

Boat: Morgan 416

Signed. Thanks for doing this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: