Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2015, 16:02   #271

Boat: too many
Re: Sign the petition to prosecute the Lake County Sheriff that killed the sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
One difference, if this happened again, tomorrow, is that so many people have phones with video capacity, surely some of them would survive till the time of the trial.

Another takeaway I have is about watchkeeping, so reason to assume you're safe, sailing slowly at dusk.

Yet another hideous miscarriage of the law. He was only "a little bit drunk", if his liver had cleared all the alcohol by the time he was tested. What an ugly ongoing event!

Ann
Ann,

Here is what went down concerning Perdock's blood alcohol level. A Lake County sergeant told a local TV reporter that he was instructed by a superior not to give a breathalyzer test to Chief Deputy Perdock. Instead, Lake County Sheriff James Beland drove Perdock to a nearby hospital where a blood sample was taken.

But this sample was "lost" in Beland's car till the following day when it was "found" and turned in. Only problem was the medical staff put the "wrong" date on the sample, saying it was taken the following day. I know first hand how police will lie in court and the court will accept their statement as truth and this is what happened in this case, the medical staff dated the blood "wrong", so no charges against Purdock.

There were witnesses to Purdock's consumption before the accident because it was at a favorite local watering hole at the lake. These witnesses did come forward but the police refused to take their statements.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 19:20   #272

Re: Sign the petition to prosecute the Lake County Sheriff that killed the sailor

Sorry to hear it turned out that way. I remember signing the petition ages ago. Karma catches up.

Old 19-12-2015, 18:02   #273

Here is the latest update.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

There was a time I considered retirement at Clear Lake due to affordable lakefront properties. That was before I found out it is a haven for retired LEO, and because of so many dirty cops I have no respect for all cops. I would never want to live in any area that has such a large, retired LEO population.
Old 19-12-2015, 18:27   #274

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post

There was a time I considered retirement at Clear Lake due to affordable lakefront properties. That was before I found out it is a haven for retired LEO, and because of so many dirty cops I have no respect for all cops. I would never want to live in any area that has such a large, retired LEO population.
Why, Bob, and you a California guy, too. Rotten apples have that effect on barrels, though.

Ann
Old 19-12-2015, 18:43   #275

Quote:

All that news is just ROTTEN! California is a great state, but the politics are corrupt through and through.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 19:15   #276

Yes Ann, California my entire life. Let me draw a parallel to explain my attitude for LEO. The AMA and its members tend to stay quiet about incompetent doctors, the result is malpractice insurance at its current 6 figure yearly premium. I think bad doctors should be exposed, but understand the reluctance in the medical professions to do so.

However, when it comes to police, I have no more tolerance of a cop that does not report the bad cop as the bad cop. I have seen first hand a cop lie in court under oath, and he does it with ease, like lying under oath is SOP, and I'm tired of that attitude. It is a culture thing with police, protect the fellow cop who has wronged a citizen by his actions. All police departments need to address this and fix it. I'm sure my feelings are shared by many, as some of the police's criminal actions as of late are being recorded on cell phones and shared in the media.
Old 20-12-2015, 12:35   #277

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Yes Ann, California my entire life. Let me draw a parallel to explain my attitude for LEO. The AMA and its members tend to stay quiet about incompetent doctors, the result is malpractice insurance at its current 6 figure yearly premium. I think bad doctors should be exposed, but understand the reluctance in the medical professions to do so.

However, when it comes to police, I have no more tolerance of a cop that does not report the bad cop as the bad cop. I have seen first hand a cop lie in court under oath, and he does it with ease, like lying under oath is SOP, and I'm tired of that attitude. It is a culture thing with police, protect the fellow cop who has wronged a citizen by his actions. All police departments need to address this and fix it. I'm sure my feelings are shared by many, as some of the police's criminal actions as of late are being recorded on cell phones and shared in the media.
I lived in Russia for a while in the '90's, and know something about corruption. It's an infection which gets into the body politic and is hard to wipe out. It ruins everything it touches. I also lived in and practiced law in a large metropolitan area on the other coast, where the city government was not really any different from what I saw in Russia, the only difference being that it touches average people less often -- it's less visible, but no less prevelant.
Old 20-12-2015, 14:46   #278

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We are taught a lot of things when we are growing up that turn out to be wrong, and equality under the law is one of those myths....but political discussions are not part of CF.

Yes, I know one LEO who lied in court [don't ask]. I was so naive, I felt shocked. It is easy to imagine where one lied, another might, etc.

A.
Old 20-12-2015, 16:32   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
We are taught a lot of things when we are growing up that turn out to be wrong, and equality under the law is one of those myths....but political discussions are not part of CF.

Yes, I know one LEO who lied in court [don't ask]. I was so naive, I felt shocked. It is easy to imagine where one lied, another might, etc.

A.
Ann,

I'm the same as you, growing up thinking all LEO were honest and professional. In the past during the election season I would only vote for the national and statewide offices, not voting at the local county level. Well, I have corrected my ways and always vote local now. For the position of judge and DA, if any of the candidates are ADA or DA, I won't vote for them because they probably have a history of siding with the police in court. I look for candidates that were in private practice or were public defenders, knowing that they have also experienced LEO lying under oath. It is the only way I know of to try and give fellow citizens a fair break in court. With my feelings I doubt if I would ever be acceptable on a jury.
Old 20-12-2015, 16:47   #280
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A wise man once said " people get the government that they deserve". Considering the info that Lake County is populated by lots of retired LEOs, and they now have this new mayor... well, maybe it's karma!

Glad that I don't have to live there.

Jim

PS My favorite son in law is a now retired LEO, and a finer man is hard for me to imagine... there are some good ones!
Old 20-12-2015, 21:45   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A wise man once said " people get the government that they deserve". Considering the info that Lake County is populated by lots of retired LEOs, and they now have this new mayor... well, maybe it's karma!

Glad that I don't have to live there.

Jim

PS My favorite son in law is a now retired LEO, and a finer man is hard for me to imagine... there are some good ones!
Jim,

I'm sure he is. There are good ones, I just wish the good ones would help weed out the bad ones.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: