Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 21:33   #256

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large
Re: Sign the petition to prosecute the Lake County Sheriff that killed the sailor

No, Lake and Napa counties are THAT corrupt. People working in the system or victims of it, know how bad it is. It is downright frightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
What is the opposing information? As far as I can see, it is pretty clear cut.

I also don't understand the point about "had he been sober, what he may have done." In this case, had he been sober, what possibly could he have done? evasive action, please.

"Sounded a horn?" Do you understand how fast those boats travel? They also typically have through hull exhaust, which makes hearing anything, including an air horn out of the question.

"Maybe a county is so bad that it can be corrupt."

I see this as much more than a remote possibility. The son of a police officer hit my sister when she was twelve crossing in front of the school bus in front of our house. You know those stop signs that swing out and the lights flashing? This guy had been seen passing cars at over 60 MPH in 30 MPH zones and was reported by multiple people. He then tries to pass the stopped school bus, hits my sister ( fortunately , she gets away with only a serious concussion,in the hoapital a couple of days). A normal person would have had some legal issues, but not the son of a police officer. No criminal charges, some wreckless driving tickets and that's it. My father fought for months and he finally got his license suspended for a few months.

" My guess is that citizens won't put up with that crap".

You're right, they won't. They will sign petitions and voice concerns on internet forums.
Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 23:03   #257

Boat: too many
Re: Sign the petition to prosecute the Lake County Sheriff that killed the sailor

Looks like he replaced his sailboat ramming boat with another. Clear Lake sail boaters, watch out for him.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 00:06   #258

It always amazes me how people fail to see larger corruption behind the small fry such as this drunken sheriff. After all there got to be dozens if not hundreds of his connections up and down the feed chain to cover his a$$. All it would take is just one honest judge/LEO in the whole county to bring him down in handcuffs. But they are either scared to ruffle the feathers or are in on the game. Very sad, considering how our government always wants to lecture other countries on their corruption problems.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 00:16   #259

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Just an update on Russell Perdock. He ran for Clear Lake City council and won the seat. It looks like to me if your a life long resident of Lake County combined with being a former cop, little things like getting tanked and running your speedboat at night into a becalmed sailboat injuring all and killing one is excusable.

News - Russell Perdock for Clearlake City Council
If true it sounds like a bad B-class movie.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 00:25   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
If true it sounds like a bad B-class movie.
Actually the movie was not too bad. )) Nothing but Trouble (1991 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:15   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
...little things like getting tanked and running your speedboat at night into a becalmed sailboat injuring all and killing one is excusable.
This surprises you? Remember the name Mary Jo Kopechne?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:33   #262

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
This surprises you? Remember the name Mary Jo Kopechne?
Being non-american I had to google it:
Not going to get political here but holy ****
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:08   #263

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Some things never change.

----"In the courtroom of honor
the judge pounded his gavel
to show that all's equal
and that the courts are on the level
and that the ladder of law has no top and no bottom
and even the nobles get properly handled
once that the cops have chased after and caught 'em ----"

The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
by Bob Dylan
Old 09-06-2015, 06:35   #264

Whatever happened here? Was justice served, or did it slip through the cracks?

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:10   #265

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I've been in landlocked New Mexico the past few years. Does this kind of crap surprise me?
Can't wait to get the big boat and sail west of California....
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:38   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Whatever happened here? Was justice served, or did it slip through the cracks?
Here is a unbiased report from Boat US, A Strange Case Of Justice - Seaworthy Magazine - BoatUS

Justice didn't just slip through the cracks, it fell into the Grand Canyon.

Deputy Sheriff Perdock was protected from an on scene breathalyzer test by the senior officer on scene. After more than 24 hours he had blood drawn, so by that time he was clear of alcohol in his blood.

Bismark Dinius, the friend of the O'Day owner that happened to be at the tiller of the becalmed sailboat had to sell his home, spend all of his savings, to defend himself in court because the Lake County DA went after him instead of Perdock.

Now, many years after, Perdock decided to run for City Council and was successful in his bid for a seat.

So, do you think justice was served? Maybe the next time Perdock, in a drunken state, kills another boater on Clear Lake it might be, but hey it is Lake County and as a long term resident and former deputy, probably not even for a 2nd time.

It is a typical story of how police receive special treatment that has reaffirmed their feelings that as a law enforcement officer they are above the law.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:51   #267

Since the ugly story of this death/coverup has raised its head again, I will chime in. As an almost life long resident of Lake County, I will say that YES, there is rot to the core. There are many good people in govt, but there is corruption. Like in all of our country and most countries of the world, Cops, Priests, Polititions,and Rogue military units will lie through their teeth to protect each other. That may be a cynical view, but I believe it is true. Voting got rid of the Sheriff and DA that orchestrated this fiasco, but it also got the the alleged perp another job payed for by the tax payers. I dont know the answer to prevent this sort of stuff from happening, but something needs to be done, and it is not anarchy. I believe that the man that was charged is suing the county, and as much as I dont want my taxes raised, I hope he wins big. ____Just another disgusted opinion. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:37   #268
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

and folk s say mexico is corrupt--there i s way more corruption in usa--it is merely not out in open as it is here inmex... funny thing about that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:53   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Since the ugly story of this death/coverup has raised its head again, I will chime in. As an almost life long resident of Lake County, I will say that YES, there is rot to the core. There are many good people in govt, but there is corruption. Like in all of our country and most countries of the world, Cops, Priests, Polititions,and Rogue military units will lie through their teeth to protect each other. That may be a cynical view, but I believe it is true. Voting got rid of the Sheriff and DA that orchestrated this fiasco, but it also got the the alleged perp another job payed for by the tax payers. I dont know the answer to prevent this sort of stuff from happening, but something needs to be done, and it is not anarchy. I believe that the man that was charged is suing the county, and as much as I dont want my taxes raised, I hope he wins big. ____Just another disgusted opinion. ______Grant.
As a long time resident of Lake County, thank you for chiming in. I have enjoyed that area over the years during my hang gliding days and always had in the back of my mind the idea of retirement to that area. The more research I do, the more I understand why property values are so low in this California resort community. The run down mobilehomes intermixed with stick built homes I can deal with. The druggies and their meth labs I can tolerate. The algae blooms and stink along with the mercury contamination isn't a deal breaker for me. What does keep me from buying a home in the area is its reputation of being a haven for retired law enforcement officers. It is bad enough being new to a community that is clannish like Clear Lake is when it comes to long time residents like yourself vs new arrivals, but to also be considered a 2nd class citizen to both long term residents and retired LEO is a bit much for me to stomach in my retirement. I'm still searching for my future retirement home but it won't be Clear Lake.
Old 09-06-2015, 14:34   #270

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One difference, if this happened again, tomorrow, is that so many people have phones with video capacity, surely some of them would survive till the time of the trial.

Another takeaway I have is about watchkeeping, so reason to assume you're safe, sailing slowly at dusk.

Yet another hideous miscarriage of the law. He was only "a little bit drunk", if his liver had cleared all the alcohol by the time he was tested. What an ugly ongoing event!

Ann