Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 11:51   #241

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Sign the petition to prosecute the Lake County Sheriff that killed the sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The citizens didn't put up with it. The DA wasn't re-elected and Perdock lost his job, only to be put on the Fire Protection Board. He still has connections. I present to you Russell Perdock, still living off of the citizens of Lake County.
He may have lost his job, but they let him keep his mustache. What kind of justice is that?

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 07:43   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
Very often facts get mixed with emotion. Our reporting news etiquette thrives on this. There are some disturbing facts and a lot of opposing information, what is reported is often missing good science.
It wasn't true that sailboat operator was sober. We don't know had he been sober what he may have done. Perhaps he could clearly tell us today he had running lights on and he sounded a horn. Being drunk he lost command of the situation.
Don't change the information and then slam me for seeing how one sided this had become.
Power boat guy was no angel. Maybe a county is so bad that it can be corrupt. My guess is that citizens won't put up with that crap.
I was not trolling I enjoy most of deck officers post. I disagree that this is so clear.
What is the opposing information? As far as I can see, it is pretty clear cut.

I also don't understand the point about "had he been sober, what he may have done." In this case, had he been sober, what possibly could he have done? evasive action, please.

"Sounded a horn?" Do you understand how fast those boats travel? They also typically have through hull exhaust, which makes hearing anything, including an air horn out of the question.

"Maybe a county is so bad that it can be corrupt."

I see this as much more than a remote possibility. The son of a police officer hit my sister when she was twelve crossing in front of the school bus in front of our house. You know those stop signs that swing out and the lights flashing? This guy had been seen passing cars at over 60 MPH in 30 MPH zones and was reported by multiple people. He then tries to pass the stopped school bus, hits my sister ( fortunately , she gets away with only a serious concussion,in the hoapital a couple of days). A normal person would have had some legal issues, but not the son of a police officer. No criminal charges, some wreckless driving tickets and that's it. My father fought for months and he finally got his license suspended for a few months.

" My guess is that citizens won't put up with that crap".

You're right, they won't. They will sign petitions and voice concerns on internet forums.
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 08:13   #243

Re: Sign the petition to prosecute the Lake County Sheriff that killed the sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
The son of a police officer hit my sister when she was twelve crossing in front of the school bus in front of our house. You know those stop signs that swing out and the lights flashing? This guy had been seen passing cars at over 60 MPH in 30 MPH zones and was reported by multiple people. He then tries to pass the stopped school bus, hits my sister ( fortunately , she gets away with only a serious concussion,in the hoapital a couple of days). A normal person would have had some legal issues, but not the son of a police officer. No criminal charges, some wreckless driving tickets and that's it. My father fought for months and he finally got his license suspended for a few months.
Unfortunately, suspension of a police officer's driving license has little effect. If stopped, he can just show his badge instead. He would only have the possibility of getting caught driving on a suspended license if involved in another accident. Of course, he would not be able to drive on the job during the suspension.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 15:50   #244
cruiser

You're confused. Loss of an officer's driver's license means either suspension from the job or outright firing in most departments. It's one of the reasons cops rarely cite each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
You're right, they won't. They will sign petitions and voice concerns on internet forums.
They will also wave their arms, get drunk and scream incoherently about the matter at their wives, kick the dog and write letters to the editor of People.

All are equally effective.

There are many effective, cheap means at our disposal. Petitions aren't one of them. The internet would be a great assist to several of them, but by itself reminds me of the things my son screamed at me when he was 15.

Any judge who takes notice of (or even reads, for that matter) a petition doesn't deserve the title.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 16:47   #245
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
I am surprised it took so long to muster a thousand signatures. If we are so apathetic, we deserve the system we have.

Also, if the last DA was voted out partly (it was suggested) because of dissatisfaction with the handling of this tragedy, wouldn't it be a given that the new DA would support the petition?
Is the inertia partly owing the fact that very few people want to view the police in a mortal manner?
Ummm... Lake County population as of July 2011 is reported to be 64,000 or so people. They had to "go global" to get the signatures.

Last I checked Judges don't bring cases to trial, District Attorneys do. So I presume the petition is going to be presented to the DA.

Now the DA is an elected office. Fewer than 1,000 Lake County voters cared enough to sign the petition - hence going global for signatures. If you can't get 2% of your constituents interested you don't have much interest.

The DA is going to respond to voting constituents. There is probably no mileage and/or insufficient evidence for a prosecution and conviction. Aside from a few ravers on an internet forum or two this is really a no show for the DA.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 17:21   #246

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Yup, makes sense. Things happen a little differently here.
Like I said before, It was an accident. Purdick presumely didn't do it with intent.
It ain't gonna bring the deceased back.
The police incompetence/obstruction/failure to perform duties, is another matter.
To do something about that you need clout & funds. And still, you probably would be dissuaded. Regretable that Dinius lost all his assets defending himself.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 19:03   #247
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Now the DA is an elected office.

The DA is going to respond to voting constituents.
Yup, there's a clue.

An effective response is not a petition, an effective response will not come from this board, nor probably from any international forum. This is not an international incident, and does not have an international solution. In fact, most of us would be outraged if the good people of, say, Haiti were able to dictate how this issue was resolved.

An effective response may be assisted by the internet, but will not be generated by it.

I wish they still taught civics classes, I wish more citizens were aware of how our system of government actually works.

The levers are in easy reach, pulling them is all that is required.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 19:08   #248

Boat: PT-11
Blah blah blah
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 19:09   #249

I'm afraid I have to agree with Ex-Calif about an online petition. Sorry.
IMO, A better use for this thread would be to ask for donations to get an A$$ Kicking Attorney on board to go after this guy. This way if you wanted to make a difference you could donate dollars. Dollars equal clout anywhere & any way you dice it.
Lets say for example you got those thousand folks that signed to donate $20 each, that would be $20,000. If you can't lawyer up with that kind of money, what can you do?
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 20:38   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
You're confused. Loss of an officer's driver's license means either suspension from the job or outright firing in most departments. It's one of the reasons cops rarely cite each other.
I'm sure that's true in some departments. I'm also sure that cops don't cite each other for driving on a suspended license -- unless involved in an accident.

The only possibility for justice to be done in this matter would be a federal prosecution, just as in the Rodney King case.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 03:31   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
I'm afraid I have to agree with Ex-Calif about an online petition. Sorry.
IMO, A better use for this thread would be to ask for donations to get an A$$ Kicking Attorney on board to go after this guy. This way if you wanted to make a difference you could donate dollars. Dollars equal clout anywhere & any way you dice it.
Lets say for example you got those thousand folks that signed to donate $20 each, that would be $20,000. If you can't lawyer up with that kind of money, what can you do?
-Bruce
This brings up a salient point. If one remembers OJ was acquited in the criminal trial. A civil case was brought for wrongful death or some similar charge.

One would think if there was a case for wrongful death (i.e. sufficient evidence) there would be no shortage of A$$ kicking lawyers advising the family of the deceased girl to sue Perdock. Certainly the driving motive for the AKL is financial.

If the AKL can't find justification to sue then neither will the DA.

And the AKL won't be swayed by local/dirty politics.

Gotta lova America!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 06:18   #252

I know that deckofficer and many others here are passionate about this. If you are really serious about this, I recommend deckofficer to get with the family's of these dead and wronged sailors and set up a paypal account for donations to go after this schmuck and get busy. If everyone here put a twenty dollar bill (maybe more) where their mouth is you might actually get something done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
This brings up a salient point. If one remembers OJ was acquited in the criminal trial. A civil case was brought for wrongful death or some similar charge.

One would think if there was a case for wrongful death (i.e. sufficient evidence) there would be no shortage of A$$ kicking lawyers advising the family of the deceased girl to sue Perdock. Certainly the driving motive for the AKL is financial.

If the AKL can't find justification to sue then neither will the DA.

And the AKL won't be swayed by local/dirty politics.

Gotta lova America!
Hey, a new acronym. "AKL."
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 19:57   #253

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Signed, posted to my FB wall and a sailing-related group I'm in. Has this been posted to Sailing Anarchy yet? I can't get my log-in to work over there.

I'd pitch in $20 in a heartbeat.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 03:30   #254
Marine Service Provider

In youngstown Ohio the traffic control " Capt or Lt" was caught and busted for DWI. he was Quated to say "I can do my job from my desk"
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 21:14   #255

Boat: too many

Just an update on Russell Perdock. He ran for Clear Lake City council and won the seat. It looks like to me if your a life long resident of Lake County combined with being a former cop, little things like getting tanked and running your speedboat at night into a becalmed sailboat injuring all and killing one is excusable.

News - Russell Perdock for Clearlake City Council
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote