Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 17:40   #1

Boat: Creala 40 ( Crealock )
Shipping Yacht from LA to Australia

I have been trying to get my boat shipped from Los Angeles to Australia with not a lot of luck so far. I have let a contract to have it lifted out of the water straight on to the deck of a ship and dropped back in the water in australia. Mast up. This is all very well but the ship never seems to arrive to collect the boat. It is now over two months late and the shipping Co can't even give me the name of the ship. Does anyone have any experience of this or can someone suggest an alternative. If this goes on much longer the hurricane season will be over and I may as well sail home. Crew?

Ian
Ian McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 17:59   #2

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia
Re: shipping yacht from LA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian McD View Post
I have been trying to get my boat shipped from Los Angeles to Australia with not a lot of luck so far. I have let a contract to have it lifted out of the water straight on to the deck of a ship and dropped back in the water in australia. Mast up. This is all very well but the ship never seems to arrive to collect the boat. It is now over two months late and the shipping Co can't even give me the name of the ship. Does anyone have any experience of this or can someone suggest an alternative. If this goes on much longer the hurricane season will be over and I may as well sail home. Crew?

Ian

Why not sail it home? There's afew of us lining up to do just that from the westcoast!

The 30k to 40k cost of shipping will give you a lovely exciting 12 month cruising experience!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 18:06   #3

Boat: Creala 40 ( Crealock )

I would like to sail it home but I would need crew. Also doing it in company of others would be nice. The boat is a crealock 40.
Ian McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 18:32   #4

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian McD View Post
I would like to sail it home but I would need crew. Also doing it in company of others would be nice. The boat is a crealock 40.

Ian, what a beautiful vessel you have chosen, it would be a great pity for her not to feel the warm tradwinds fill her sails....you would like it a bit too!

The thought of it thrills me again.... almost 25 years later. Now my waiting is almost over......I'm going cruising again!!!

For the Pacific crossing you will need at least 1 other person for insurance purposes. I'm taking 3 other crew, found 2 on this very, very excellent forum!

"Regrets for things we've done will fade in time, regrets for things we did'nt do leaves one inconsolable" S J Harris.
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 19:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

pm me if you are interested in having it delivered
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 19:50   #6

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

Hey Jamel, as you know I'll be delivering my own new boat back to Oz this season as well. Who did you use for cruising insurance? - as I have found it a bit difficult to sort out sailing outside of Australia.
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, shipping, yacht