Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 06:17   #31

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse
Re: Serious backlog for USCG Vessel Documentation

Followed the expedite instrcutions to a T, 5 days.....

People at the center super helpful

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:21   #32

Boat: Various

For those who have a need for expedited documentation, they provide it and I've always found it very good. For the rest of the time, there's no hurry and they've caught up some from where they once were. I know most consider it an unnecessary cost, but I do use a documentation service and that way am assured that everything is in order plus they will follow up if needed.

They also have a page allowing you to search for the status of your packet.

Last, for most cases, your state registration and the fact you've got evidence you've applied for documentation are plenty to get you by until the documentation arrives.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:57   #33

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
This whole thing about a temporary letter baffles me. If they have time to issue a temp, why not just issue the COD? If a person can walk in to an office and walk out 30min later with a COD, it obviously doesn't take that much time.
Yes, that was my head-scratcher too. I'd say it's the way some government organizations "think". Sure, the temporary issue may be quicker since they may not do ALL of the gyrations - but they have to handle the paperwork a second time. That can't do anything but add to the backlog.

Oh well. I have current state tax stickers on my boat, so I make a less likely target than most other boats in my marina...
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
For those who have a need for expedited documentation, they provide it and I've always found it very good. For the rest of the time, there's no hurry and they've caught up some from where they once were. I know most consider it an unnecessary cost, but I do use a documentation service and that way am assured that everything is in order plus they will follow up if needed.

They also have a page allowing you to search for the status of your packet.

Last, for most cases, your state registration and the fact you've got evidence you've applied for documentation are plenty to get you by until the documentation arrives.
Very confused.

I can find NO reference to any kind of "expedited service" or corresponding fee on the official USCG web site.

According to a previous poster who asked the USCG - "services" don't get special handling. They go into the queue just like people who apply directly.

So what's the deal? WHO is offering the "expedited service", where is it listed/explained, and what does it cost?

Frankly, I'm not terribly worried. I have my paperwork, bills of sale, old documentation, current state tax stickers on the boat, etc - but it would be nice to get a straight story.

Yes, I'm aware that simple renewals happen much quicker than "Exchange" of documentation like mine is, but I'd sure love to have the straight story on this.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:42   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantV View Post
Very confused.

I can find NO reference to any kind of "expedited service" or corresponding fee on the official USCG web site.

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DC...-05-105405-483

You simply right Priority Request in Caps and Bold and then include the information shown.

That link is on the page with all instructions and forms.

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiza...ons-and-Forms/
Old 08-08-2017, 12:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DC...-05-105405-483

You simply right Priority Request in Caps and Bold and then include the information shown.

That link is on the page with all instructions and forms.

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiza...ons-and-Forms/
Thanks BandB,

I see that document says "revised 5/2017" at the bottom. Wonder if it wasn't there or somewhere else when I sent my paperwork in. (Late May of '17)

I did pour over that site and printed out all of the instructions. Never once saw any reference to the availability of priority handling.

I guess I need to practice my escape room skills.....
Old 08-08-2017, 13:00   #37

Quote:
Thanks BandB,

I see that document says "revised 5/2017" at the bottom. Wonder if it wasn't there or somewhere else when I sent my paperwork in. (Late May of '17)

I did pour over that site and printed out all of the instructions. Never once saw any reference to the availability of priority handling.

I guess I need to practice my escape room skills.....
It was on the old site too, always there, but unless you have a trip planned out of the country you wouldn't qualify to use it. They intentionally don't publicize it, don't want everyone going for it. We use a documentation agent so obviously they're aware of it and experienced filing for it. We probably don't need a documentation service like we use, but did initially and feel like they've still provided so much service, continuing to pay them small fees is fine.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:27   #38

Boat: 1989 Carver Montego 32

Now, I am concerned. When I bought the boat, the broker said not to worry as there is one lady who does ALL of these documents. Give it a year he said. It comes to mind that that was April of 2016! Might be time to check up.

Ron Lewis
Mama's Dream
ostriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:17   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriman View Post
Now, I am concerned. When I bought the boat, the broker said not to worry as there is one lady who does ALL of these documents. Give it a year he said. It comes to mind that that was April of 2016! Might be time to check up.
Be very concerned. One lady? In his brokerage or what? You never actually saw the old documentation and the transfer document? You were wanting US Documentation and not just a state registration?

You need to ask for answers and specifics right now, copies of all documents submitted. This is very suspicious.
Old 09-08-2017, 15:06   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriman View Post
Well, according to the case status report, exchanges (for previously documented boats that changed hands) should be being worked on for May of THIS year. If paperwork was filed LAST April, you should have it.

There is a link to search for your records you'll need your hull number ("HIN") and/or the old documentation number.

If paperwork was filed on your behalf by the broker (?) Then it's possible something wasn't right. You should have signed some USCG forms at some point.
Old 09-08-2017, 15:50   #41

Quote:
Well, according to the case status report, exchanges (for previously documented boats that changed hands) should be being worked on for May of THIS year. If paperwork was filed LAST April, you should have it.

There is a link to search for your records you'll need your hull number ("HIN") and/or the old documentation number.

If paperwork was filed on your behalf by the broker (?) Then it's possible something wasn't right. You should have signed some USCG forms at some point.
I'd say I don't mean to scare him, but actually I do mean to alert him and that may be scary. Here are some possibilities.

This first one should be easily cleared up by using the HIN or old documentation number and if you don't have them scream at the broker now.

1. There were paperwork problems and it's gone back and forth so delayed but should be out soon.

Second explanation.

2. He failed to give to the one lady or she failed to process and will claim "lost in mail."

Now the scary one.

3. Broker took your money but never paid the previous owner for the boat.

Now, to all. Do not pay without all paperwork you need to register and document. Recommend a documentation agent who can verify title also.

I hate to say this but number 3 above has been done several times and a few former brokers in prison now as a result.
Old 11-08-2017, 19:29   #42

Boat: 1989 Carver Montego 32

The PO got paid, as I have had issues come up that he solved. As to the one lady, he has nobody in office, said it was on the USCG end. I do have a documentation number and HIN to pursue. My money is on mistake or sending funds, although the stack of dead trees seems to my inexperienced eye to be in order. Mail seems to wind up in wrong box around here, and some people just chunk what does not belong to them.

Ron Lewis
Mama's Dream
ostriman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men