Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2017, 10:48   #16

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: Serious backlog for USCG Vessel Documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Closed on a boat in FL on May 6th. It was already documented. Filed the paperwork to change documentation into my name on the same day. Paperwork was not entered into the USCG system until May 26th. As of today, nothing has been done. Website shows paperwork has been filed, but no other information. I have had no correspondence nor do I have any proof of documentation. Makes one wonder if anyone is home.
Sounds right. Took just short of four months to get ours last year.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 11:51   #17

Hello,
I am in the same situation as you concerning MMSI number and CG documentation. I bought boat in June, paperwork filed, but no documentation yet. I did find online, but cant remember how, the current MMSI. In my case it is the previous, previous owner. There is a way to transfer the MMSI but is very involved. I called the FCC and they sent me the links to do this. The number I called was 877 480 3201. However, since I cant get in touch with the previous, previous owner, this is not too helpful.

I have decided to try and apply for a new MMSI. I am filling in the forms now. If I can get one I have to send the radio back to manufacture for a reset so I can enter new MMSI. What a pain. I am not sure you need CG documentation to get a MMSI. Also, it depends on whether you need a local or international MMSI. If local much simpler as BoatUS can do it.

Let me know if you need links to apply for an international MMSI.
Marshall
Handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 11:54   #18

Boat: 1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685 - 38' long

Yep, for all those waiting for their documentation papers . . . we've been trying for over 4 months ourselves . . .. first off - don't use their email system, doesn't work for squat . . . use fax and double check all entries. You can still get an MMSI number from Boat US or whomever you'd like to use and yes, check the set-up section of your DSC radio for info on whether or not the PO had an MMSI number put in there before you bought it. MMSI numbers stay with the boat/radio if it is a fixed unit!! If it's just a handheld, you can take the MMSI number with you since it is not attached to the vessel. . . . went through that last May. You WILL have to edit your MMSI number as to the boat's characteristics since I imagine they will change with the new boat but that is easily accomplished on the BoatUS website.
Dadrock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:25   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadrock33 View Post
You can still get an MMSI number from Boat US or whomever you'd like to use and yes, check the set-up section of your DSC radio for info on whether or not the PO had an MMSI number put in there before you bought it.
I'm not seeing this. The BoatUS MMSI registration page seems to require a documentation number or state registration. Is there a number with the temporary documentation you can use?
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:33   #20

Boat: Hunter 30 G

Took us 8 months to get our documentation completed. Only two weeks after I called them. Seems there was a problem, hadn't given them enough money, don't know why they didn't call or something? All good now though.
Old 27-07-2017, 13:03   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

expect up to 6 months for new to you documentation. two weeks for renewal, iff you do it right.
we do by fone, it is less than 2 weeks return. out of country is faster
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 13:20   #22

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I guess I don't understand the problem. Yes, it takes months to get a new c of d , but it's a title document, many many many boats have MMSI numbers that are not documented. You don't need your C of D to get a MMSI , and the documentation number never changes.

As far as temporary proof of ownership, bring a copy of the previous CD and copies of you application for CD . Maybe even a screen print of the acknowledgement. Or better yet, ask your local Coast guard for instructions on how to legally use your boat.
Old 27-07-2017, 13:25   #23

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Also, be aware that MMSI numbers obtained through boatus are NOT registered outside of the U.S. , something to be aware of if you will be traveling.
Old 27-07-2017, 14:13   #24

Boat: 1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685 - 38' long

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
I'm not seeing this. The BoatUS MMSI registration page seems to require a documentation number or state registration. Is there a number with the temporary documentation you can use?
I stand corrected . . . the form does ask for state registration or documentation number and it has an asterisk beside it, so you have to have it if you have a new vessel (if used, you're ok; just use the former registration). I used the former documentation number (I am just going for a reinstatement and a name/hailing port change) to facilitate the paperwork and, since my radio was a handheld, took the former MMSI number and the call sign station with me to the new boat. In Maryland, you have to register with the state (even if your vessel is documented) so you can use that information. I can't find any information on the USCG/NVDC website about any temporary documentation other than a reference to some archived news from back in October, 2015 about them suspending the issuance of TCODs (temporary certificates of documentation) and then nothing relative to that issue has been promoted. I would imagine that a phone call to BoatUS would serve to help solve the issue. I am under the impression (from discussions with MD authorities) that Maryland still issues a title to the vessel and a registration, even though you're documented (once again, I have both of those items available to officials if asked since my documentation is "hung up" in West (by God) Virginia somewhere.
Dadrock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 14:56   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I recently filed Feb 28th and got it in May.
That was pretty close to our most recent experience.

You can check on the USCG Documentation Center site and see the date of what applications they are processing at present.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Case Processing Dates as of JULY 21, 2017
COMMERCIAL FISH INITIAL - 21JUL17
COMMERCIAL FISH (EXCHANGE, RETURN TO DOC, REINSTATEMENT, REPLACEMENT) - 20JUL17
COMMERCIAL INITIAL - 21JUL17
COMMERCIAL (EXCHANGE, RETURN TO DOC, REINSTATEMENT, REPLACEMENT) - 20JUL17
RECREATIONAL INITIAL - 07MAY17
RECREATIONAL (EXCHANGE, RETURN TO DOC, REINSTATEMENT, REPLACEMENT) - 06MAY17
MORTGAGES & RELATED INSTRUMENTS - 21MAR17
NOTICE OF CLAIM OF LIENS - 22JAN16
SATISFACTIONS - 31JAN17
DELETIONS WITH FEES - 07JUL17
CERTIFICATES OF OWNERSHIP - 21JUL17
RESEARCH (INCLUDING COMPLEX) - 21JUL17
ABSTRACT PROCESSING (INCLUDING ABSTRACT PENDING REVIEW) - 20JUL17
RENEWALS (INCLUDING WITH CHANGES) - 14JUL17
****Updated Weekly****
Old 29-07-2017, 06:43   #26

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2

Bought my boat in the BVIs and applied for a US COD. When I called to question how long it was going to take they told me to send them a letter stating that I was bringing the boat into the US and needed to expedite the process. Two weeks later I had the COD.
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 12:07   #27

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library70 View Post
Bought my boat in the BVIs and applied for a US COD. When I called to question how long it was going to take they told me to send them a letter stating that I was bringing the boat into the US and needed to expedite the process. Two weeks later I had the COD.
When was this? "High season" ( like now) or sometime when a bunch of boats aren't trading hands?

Seems like people that have been able to deal with the USCG either face-to-face or outside of the "fill out your paperwork and mail it in with a check" system get better/quicker service.

Sure wish the USCG would make such policies known. Waiting 4+ months to change the owner of a currently documented boat withing the US shouldn't be that big of a big fat hairy deal.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 17:47   #28

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
That was pretty close to our most recent experience.

You can check on the USCG Documentation Center site and see the date of what applications they are processing at present.

[url]https://uscgdocumentation.us*
Do NOT use this website. It is NOT the U.S. Coast Guard Documentation center in WVA.
It is a documentation service located in CA that charges high fees to handle documentation issues most of which boaters can do on their own and save lots of $$$
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:44   #29

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Thanks. I didn't know about this Temporary Documentation. However, it has been two months and I haven't received a temporary documentation letter. I guess I need to call.
Jerry,

Did you get anything from the USCG yet?

According to the link, temporary certificates would start to be issued July 8th. Assuming they would start with the oldest applications first (?) And that they STILL have to verify the citizenship of the applicant and a few other things, just wondering if we'll get these temporary letters any sooner than we'd get the real thing.

Anybody else actually received a temporary certificate of documentation?
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:44   #30

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

No, I haven't received anything yet. I filed on May 27, so according to a previous link, they are not quite processing applications from that date yet. My boat is on the hard in Florida and I won't be splashing until November so I'm not all that concerned. If I don't get it in another month or so, I will start calling. This whole thing about a temporary letter baffles me. If they have time to issue a temp, why not just issue the COD? If a person can walk in to an office and walk out 30min later with a COD, it obviously doesn't take that much time.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men