Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2019, 15:48   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Seeking Mast head wind indicator and radar equipment replacement recommendations.

Due to a slipway boat knock down accident. I need to replace damaged electronics. Including an AIS antenna.

I'm rexhing out to find out what is the lest troublesome Best masthead wind direction and wind speed standalone product to purchase?

I have an old Furuno 36 nm radar I would like to replace it, with the new tech radar. Iím trying to sort out ad hype to what is practical does anyone have experience as what to recommend and what not to purchase?

Just rebuild a D 400 wind generator now also damaged in the slipway accident incident any suggestions other than the D 400 wind generator, which I was happy with possibly the tech has moved on in this field so Iím checking.

I will no longer buy Chinese made product lack of quality. Plus, the countries leadership has become far too aggressive and cold war like for my liking. I will only buy Not Made in China where possible from now on even if it costs more.

Fair Winds, Many thanks in advance.

kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 23:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Now
Re: Seeking Mast head wind indicator and radar equipment replacement recommendations.

I put on a Maretron electronic weather unit almost 6 years ago. And it's still doing great.

https://www.maretron.com/products/wso100.php

Goto my blog here The Restoration & Upgrade of a Choate 40 and scroll down to 2013, Then April and ondown about half way where I'm working on the mast. You can see the installation I did with the new unit.

Old 20-01-2019, 01:51   #3

Boat: 29 ft
Re: Seeking Mast head wind indicator and radar equipment replacement recommendations.

How about Raymarine wireless solar T101 (= T112 + T120) instruments? Very low installation effort.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 03:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I put on a Maretron electronic weather unit almost 6 years ago. And it's still doing great.

https://www.maretron.com/products/wso100.php

Goto my blog here The Restoration & Upgrade of a Choate 40 and scroll down to 2013, Then April and ondown about half way where I'm working on the mast. You can see the installation I did with the new unit.

BTW, no moving parts.
Old 20-01-2019, 04:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Seeking Mast head wind indicator and radar equipment replacement recommendations.

I also have a Maretron, after buying it I read a lot of them have failed due to water intrusion, but mine is still Soldiering on, on its second year. I like it because everything gets put on the bus, and it seems more accurate with no latency.
Mine seems to read high though, will read 2 kts of wind when you canít feel any, maybe that is correct.
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 06:54   #6

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
BTW, no moving parts.
If you go to the link posted you will see they are discontinued. Probably because they had so many water intrusion issues.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 08:40   #7

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

Do you have existing wiring you plan to use, and are you pulling the stick? That will provide some direction.
My NMEA 2000 cable stopped conducting 12v+ at the top of the mast and I can’t access the wiring without pulling the stick. I just brought the new B&G WS320 to the boat last night. I can’t speak for it yet, but I can post on the install and connectivity in a couple of days if you want.
Brad
Svperspective.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 14:41   #8

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Garmin. Support is outstanding and product is great.
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 14:41   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

I have an Airmar weatherstation. There are various marine models. No moving parts and no moisture intrusion. A friend also has one and no problems.
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 19:49   #10

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
I have an Airmar weatherstation. There are various marine models. No moving parts and no moisture intrusion. A friend also has one and no problems.
Hmm. At 1720 USD I would expect it to be VERY good.
Old 20-01-2019, 20:26   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I also have a Maretron, after buying it I read a lot of them have failed due to water intrusion, but mine is still Soldiering on, on its second year. I like it because everything gets put on the bus, and it seems more accurate with no latency.
Mine seems to read high though, will read 2 kts of wind when you can’t feel any, maybe that is correct.
Just found out the WSO 100 is discontinued w/o a replacement. There are other, more expensive brands though, but haven't seen one in action.
https://www.weathershack.com/product...n-nm150wx.html

They are not MNEA 2000 either. You have to run them on a PC, probably with an APP of there's to work.

BTW, the wind at the top of the mast is a lot better then down on deck. Very seldom did I ever see mine on zero.
Old 20-01-2019, 20:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Mine seems to read high though, will read 2 kts of wind when you canít feel any, maybe that is correct.
Are you sure it's incorrect? Drag from the ocean surface will slow the wind you feel whereas the wind just 30 feet up should be a few knots faster.

I'd think a sealed electronic system would be preferable to an analog system with moving parts. SV Delos also moved to the Maretron system and seem very happy with it. That boat logs serious miles and I'd imagine Brian would mention if there was a performance issue.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 20:38   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is another one though which has a marine type display. But not as pretty as the Maretron.
And is NMEA compatible as well as others texts. So it might work with common marine instruments.

https://www.scientificsales.com/9100...er-p/91000.htm
Old 20-01-2019, 22:51   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

Hi. My WeatherStation (I am not sure what model!?) cost $Aus1,050 at the beginning of last year. Your price sounds like one of the much more complicated ones that does more that just give you wind speed and direction.
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 05:41   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, if you're speaking to me. The Marathon is a weather station, which measures wind speed & direction, temperature and barometer readings. The display also has a graph and keeps records while on.

Tags
equipment, head, mast, men, radar, wind