Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2018, 07:52   #31

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Sea of Cortez video

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Mike,
Can you share a little info your 46' custom catamaran? Sorry if I'm off topic.
Have a look at the 'galleries' section of our blog. Look for the early ones in Thailand when the boat was under construction. Basically a custom boat that we tore apart, re-designed and re-built. Not something I would recommend for the mentally sound.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 16:56   #32

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
As my wife and I were watching the video for the first time we were laughing about that. Thing is, I generally don't fly the drone if there is wind over about 10 knots as it gets a little dicey landing the thing on our deck. So you get the impression that there is no wind in the Sea. Fact is we were able to sail about half the time we were there, often in very sporty conditions. In the winter there are no shortage of days when the wind is 20+.
That was one question I had Mike - landing on a boat. But it sounds like you figured it out, but did it take you long to perfect the technique and do you do it carrier style while underway, or heave to for a moment to bring it back on board?
Old 17-09-2018, 17:35   #33

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

World-class videography. I recognized many places. In the last 60 seconds or so, there was a small bay you were anchored in - where was that?

As we transit from Panama to our home in California, we're looking forward to cruising Mexico again but we're not sure how far north in the Sea we're going to get. Regardless, your video made me want to go back and never leave. Thanks for sharing.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 13:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
That was one question I had Mike - landing on a boat. But it sounds like you figured it out, but did it take you long to perfect the technique and do you do it carrier style while underway, or heave to for a moment to bring it back on board?
This has been a learning process and, after several crashes, I now will only take off and land with the boat stopped. I used to take off with the boat moving as it was easy to launch off the davits, but after 3 episodes in which the drone shut itself off 1 foot above the deck and dropped like a brick I have stopped doing that.
I usually land either on the foredeck or on a carpet on the trampolines. The obstacle avoidance system must be turned off so I can get it past the rigging.

Old 18-09-2018, 13:30   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
World-class videography. I recognized many places. In the last 60 seconds or so, there was a small bay you were anchored in - where was that?

As we transit from Panama to our home in California, we're looking forward to cruising Mexico again but we're not sure how far north in the Sea we're going to get. Regardless, your video made me want to go back and never leave. Thanks for sharing.

That is Isla Estanque ("pond") off the east side of Isla Angel de la Guardia.

If you are in Panama, headed north, we may cross paths. We will be leaving Chiapas in October, heading for Costa Rica.

Old 18-09-2018, 14:20   #36

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
That is Isla Estanque ("pond") off the east side of Isla Angel de la Guardia.

If you are in Panama, headed north, we may cross paths. We will be leaving Chiapas in October, heading for Costa Rica.
We will look forward to meeting you. Our boat is currently on the Caribbean side and we expect to transit the Canal in early November and work our way north.

Keep an eye out for an old, beat-up ketch with two old people on board. The radio's always on 16. Have a good, safe trip south.

nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 07:37   #37

Hello Mike

a very big thank you from Catherine and myself for posting the video. We have visited the Sea of Cortez 3 times and have booked again for Feb 2019 as it is a rather special place. Your video was superb and the drone footage was a wonderful view and reminded us of the treats to come. We wish we could get out there more often, but will refer back to your film as we recognized so many of the landmarks and of course the wildlife. the baby hump back was stunning

best wishes
derek
Gloucestershire UK
Derek aston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 09:47   #38

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

Wow. Absolutely beautiful, and mesmerizing. Thank you for posting this!

I noticed that all of the boats in various backgrounds were sailboats and cats. I no longer own my Crealock 37. Are trawlers allowed

Thank you again for a stunning effort
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 20:59   #39

Music listing, please?

Piano over tidepools 10:22?

Ukulele and piano over saguaro 21:40?

PS:
We camped Baja since the mid-1960s.

You mention San Francisquito. On a dirtbike tour in the 1970s, we planned to overnight at San Francisquito... we stayed two weeks. Our verdict:
This place must not be mentioned. Ever. Nobody can know.

We beach randomly. For weeks, we never see another human. Solitude.

This video represents all we know to be true of Baja.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of cortez