Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2012, 16:20   #1

Same ol' Questions

Hello all,

I'm quite new to sailing, been out day sailing three or four times with friends and took a sailing course at the mystic seaport a few years ago. After my most recent trip I've decided I would like to get my own little boat. Which presents some pretty basic questions.

I know, I know, everybody here has most probably heard these questions a million times but if you would mind answering them all over one more time you would be contributing greatly to a future sailers experiences.

My main question is where to start... The advice I've been getting is to just go ahead and crew for others... Easier said than done. I will be posting a little thread in the crew section regarding this. Is this the only way to go about it? Could I take the 8hr. Course for a boating license and be ready to go? (I think I have that right) How much experience should I have before taking this course? Just the basics, a few trips or a few years? Or do I need any at all? What type of sailboat would be good for a beginner? Catalina 22? Just a little lost as how to get started same old problems I'm sure.
Newsailer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 18:52   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Same ol' Questions

A million and one times now. Just kidding!
What might work for you may not be right for anyone else so you have to kind of analyze your particular situation.
If you are close to a club or marina that's a good way to get into sailing with others. If they offer an inexpensive sailing course then that's a good way to get the basics and meet others "in the same boat."
I wanted to get more experience after doing all the basic courses and helping teach others so I bought a Catalina 22 fin keeler (not on a trailer). They also make a trailerable with a swing keel. That might work for you but there certainly are much smaller and easier boats to have fun on and one of which is a Sunfish which is definitely easy to rig and easy to sail but will get you wet from time to time. They can be had for $500 depending on condition. They also can be carried in the back of a truck or car topped if you have a friend who can help you unload it at 140 lbs weight. Sunfish hulls should weigh about 120 but a $500 one will have a few patches and have a bit of moisture in it. They will teach you sail handling and get you ready for the next step which would be a sloop.
So, basically it depends on what you have in mind. Start talking with others who are in sailing clubs or keep up the conversation here on the forum.
kind regards,
Old 14-07-2012, 18:56   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
Maybe you would enjoy Webb chiles who has perfected simple. Good reads here is a link to his site. http://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_a..._triangle.html
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 19:30   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I say start at any end and work towards the other end ;-)

Sailing is quite simple and, same as with any other new hobby - it pays in the long run to start with the basics and master them well.

If I were to go into sailing again, I would probably start with sailing as much as one can, preferably on small boats. I would also join some sort of sailing club - the sort of club where people have boats, sail boats and exchange sailing know-how.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 19:37   #5

Hello NewSailor22 I do not know anything about you so I do not know what is best for you. If you are young and healthy enough to dump a small boat and enjoy it, I would buy a very small boat, sunfish etc, and play in a local lake. In my opinion there is no faster (or cheaper) way to learn. Mistakes on boats get exponentially more costly with size, and the learning curve gets slower as the boat gets larger as she responds more slowly to the changes you make. If you were in Daytona Beach Florida, I would tell you to join the local small boat sailing club, but that is a long drive from CT.
Good Luck.
decktapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 21:20   #6

Wow! Surprised to get so Many responses

Well, I went to school on fishers island where I spent years around boats one of my best friends dads owned a marina I took a ferry to school every day (I know that dosent count) and spent all my time w. People who all got their boating
License by the time they were 13. Strangely enough none of the boats I ever got on were sailboats so one day about two years ago I was invited to go out on a Morgan 32 and was hooked. Took the lessons went out on a few more day sails after that... Then life simply got away.My enthusiasm was spiked again by getting a charter w. Family on this really cool old boat. 23' katch from 54?? Something like that.

Anyways I'm looking for something that is easy to sail, good to learn on, big enough for Three maybe four people. Would like to be able to do a good weekend overnight on the ship once and a while as well. So now that you
know my life story (sorry about that) feel free to help narrow it down as much as you would like.

P.s. How good are these two day class things for the license? Do they really go over everything you need to know?
Newsailer22 is offline   Reply With Quote